Anesthetic disapointment

eddoakley

Its interesting to see how many people have had reactions, I can make a guess most who have had, ketamine was involved.

Kyska is this the stuff they give for what they term temporary amnesia,your awake to follow instructions but as far as your aware your completely knocked out?

I've had 11 generals (6 in just under 2 weeks)

Never had a single vivid that I can remember and never been told I had done anything,

Worst thing was coming out of one and asking for a bedpan in recovery, "can you wait till back on the ward" my reply was not really you have about 10 seconds or it's going to get very messy ( Number 2's stunk recovery out)

I really got into the pre meds and the feeling just before I went under, I imagine it must be like what a hard drug high feels like,

Especially when I had the 6 in quite quick succession

:shaun:

I think the pre med is usually a small amount of "mothers little helper"

pre medication commonly is diazepam is a benzodiazepine, the stuff they put in the back of your hand is propofol as a sedation and to induce memory loss, Sleeeeeeeep! then along comes the Gas man and administers the volatile induction agent to keep your systems relaxed and in the land of deep,deep Nod!

Ahhhhh the wonders of drugs!

Edited by 7daysinaweek

Why do some people have 'pre meds' and others don't? I never have. Just gone straight into anaesthetic room, cannula in hand, inject drugs, sleep.

Not all people have a premedication, diazepam the benzodiazepine for use in anaesthesia are used for the management of anxiety and also reduces muscle spasm and promotes mild amnesia. Anxiety increases biochemical stress response and production of things like adrenaline and cortisol which affect heart rate and blood pressure. Different benzodiazepines are used for the differing effects and clinical assessment is made and adjusted to the patients needs. patient may have pre existing conditions that require the use of a drug by mouth or injection before the anaesthetic. Hope this helps.

Edited by 7daysinaweek

Kyska is this the stuff they give for what they term temporary amnesia,your awake to follow instructions but as far as your aware your completely knocked out?

At the right dose yes, it's a dissociative anaesthetic, it's known to cause hallucinations.

Very safe though, that's why it's often used in rapid sequence induction on the roadside.

At the right dose yes, it's a dissociative anaesthetic, it's known to cause hallucinations.

Very safe though, that's why it's often used in rapid sequence induction on the roadside.

I believe paramedics in Germany carry ketamine routinely due to it being such a safe drug, whilst only doctors over there carry morphine due to the potential for resp depression or arrest. As you know it's the opposite over here.