Garrett turbo re-build

ditchman

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers I'll have a look at some point when I need it again

if you think about it ..."why does it only run proper on choke"...........................putting it on choke creates more of a vacumn ....so what it is doing is sucking harder to get fuel....

why...

1. blocked filter
  2. blocked jet in the carb

simple fix .... :good::good:

Ditchman - your unfinished welding blob looks like my welding (finished product). :yes:

nickle alloy rods can be difficult to use...ok in straight runs but small jobs like this need to be "blobbed"...........as long as your welds are free from holes ...curl....polarity issues ...they are usually fine..........it can be difficult with this kind of job ...as you dont want to get the arc tooo close to the threads...sort of ...lay off and let it flow there ...sort of.... :good: ...also i had to ...weld...peen...de-slag...grind.preheat..weld peen...de-slag....you get the idea....just a lot of different things to do in such a small space and timeframe..........

if you think about it ..."why does it only run proper on choke"...........................putting it on choke creates more of a vacumn ....so what it is doing is sucking harder to get fuel....

why...

• blocked filter
  • blocked jet in the carb

simple fix .... :good::good:

I feel awful asking that question being a mechanic for 18 years but I still class my self as new skool !!

I feel awful asking that question being a mechanic for 18 years but I still class my self as new skool !!

many years ago i rebuilt a big HR3 lister off a mobile crusher.......................made a reqally good job of it v...even using plasi-gauge to set the piston/head clearance....damned if i could start it...took me 3 days to find out the pawl in the starting handle had twisted and i was trying to start it backwards.... :lol::lol:

many years ago i rebuilt a big HR3 lister off a mobile crusher.......................made a reqally good job of it v...even using plasi-gauge to set the piston/head clearance....damned if i could start it...took me 3 days to find out the pawl in the starting handle had twisted and i was trying to start it backwards.... :lol::lol:

Haha !! Wounded !!

"in da shed " again............"mainly doin' "

first pic is showing how the turbine sits in the cassett housing......i have putthe 2 bearing/carriers on to give an idea as to what happens

1. oil comes in from the top at 30-35lbs/sq"
  2. the top half of the cassett is pressurised to oil pressure
  3. the bearing/carrier thro the little holes is "pressurised" and the turbine shaft is floated on a thin film of oil
  4. to the left of the left carrier there is a chamber
  5. to the right of the right carrier there is a chamber
  6. the oil then floods into the left and right chamber
  7. the chamber is at zero pressure as it drains into the sump via the big drainhole on the bottom of the cassett

there is a few other bits i have missed out ...spacers etc.....left them out so as not to complicate the issue

post-11401-0-71376600-1489317181_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-04966100-1489317192_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-69858900-1489317202_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-07176800-1489317212_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-16252600-1489317226_thumb.jpg

on the second pic you can see the oil gas seal....it is most similar to a piston ring................

failed turbo's fail for several reasons

1. leaving oil changes to long
  2. wrong oil
  3. driving too hard on start up
  4. closing down engine whilst turbo is still very hot
  5. waste gate clogged shut
  6. poor quality fuel
  7. no or knackered air filter

turbo's should not break....they are fed copious ammounts of oil to cool and lube' them......they should be driven HARD but not stupid..

so if you vehicle has a turbo....think what it has to go thro'......USE IT BUT DONT ABUSE IT....... :good: :good:

post-11401-0-84524600-1489317790_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-73911100-1489317800_thumb.jpg

Wasn't good! Just put it on too after changing from a smaller one. Bled it all up ,checked and double checked all pipes and clips, first time it came on full boost (1.6 bar) pop!.

We think it may have over sped and caught the side of the housing.