Garrett turbo re-build

ditchman

Sorry,I thought you may have come across it during your Landrover work. Its the best way for redeeming broken exhaust studs on motorcycle cylinder heads,,Suzuki GS series in particular. It was also the only answer when trying to shift sheared off studs on rusty quarry scale stone saws. Its the future !

the only time i have heard of it is..when it has been used on guns.....

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is like a full on broken root removal at the dentist. Can you not just drill and tap to the next size up. Save a lot of hassle.

it is painful...im sorry............................cant drill and tap next size up...not enough meat left on the inside edge.....im not going to let it beat me...i have to set little things for me to do every day...having to care for the mrs and everything else...if i didnt keep my mind working my brain would rot away...if this was the real world i would have given this chamber a pilots liecense by now :lol: ...accompanied by copious ammounts of verbal.......i have got to fix it with what i know and have.....aannnd im going to put it on the landrover in the spring when i put new pistons and valves in it....i dont need to but i am :lol::lol::lol:

i need sectioning....(only now and again)

still dont understand whats going on, but iv read it all now and its all sound like fun for a problem solver such as yourself, if you get stuck simon send it to me, and i will just buy you another :lol::lol::lol: we all look forward to you undertaking a project, keep up the good work "MASTIC MAN" :good::good:

and im a tad concerned iv not yet seen your backy or a brew in any of your photos, sort yourself out man :yes::yes:

this afternoon i received an envelope................................................

in were a handful of nickle chrome welding rods......he would accept no payment..............he was happy enough reading my post and veiwing my pics of me up to something again ...."in da shed"

i wont embarass him by identifying him...im sure you can guess....he is the one that wants me to fill my ole...........

thats PW aint it.. :good::good: saints and sinners :lol:

thanx

this afternoon i received an envelope................................................

in were a handful of nickle chrome welding rods......he would accept no payment..............he was happy enough reading my post and veiwing my pics of me up to something again ...."in da shed"

i wont embarass him by identifying him...im sure you can guess....he is the one that wants me to fill my ole...........

thats PW aint it.. :good::good: saints and sinners

thanx

quality, well done TC, doesnt it just fill your heart with joy at the kindness of some people, im glad someone is repaying all the favors you have done for me Simon :lol::lol::good::good::good::good:

what does a new turbo like that cost ?.............£600 quid.....(non-exchange)

i withdraw my earlier offer :whistling::whistling:

ps, he now wants to see yer "hole filled", ill get mi coat :whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling:

quality, well done TC, doesnt it just fill your heart with joy at the kindness of some people, im glad someone is repaying all the favors you have done for me Simon :lol::lol::good::good::good::good:

i withdraw my earlier offer :whistling::whistling:

ps, he now wants to see yer "hole filled", ill get mi coat :whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling:

yer not bloody coming down ere...................no way :lol::lol:

yer not bloody coming down ere...................no way :lol::lol:

i will one day, thats a promises :lol::lol:

Hang on I've lost track, Who's sticking their rod where?

dont encourage him mate, hes bad enough as it is, were having a whip round see if we can get him some help, its his age the poor thing :oops:

Hang on I've lost track, Who's sticking their rod where?

dont you bloody start...........i have enough trouble wiv the rest of them,............ :lol:

once put back together you should make one of them diy jet engines with it

Great project, makes me want to get out in the shed and get tinkering

saw that on "scrap heap challege"...............i wouldnt want something like that making a noise like that ....so close to my rear end... :oops::oops::oops::oops:

bit of a moving feast today..............went up to Great Yarmouth yesterday to pick up my con-rods that i put new bushes in...and had bored out (not reamed) at STM engineering...they made a loverly job and the pins go in now slick as snot....if you have the gudgeon pin in your hand for too long it will swell and not enter thebush....so they are spot on.....

then i had a bit of trouble with the mower that i rebuilt (the old acto i have)...carberetta problem which i fixed.........then i thought it might be a good idea to dust down the 35year old TECUMSA engine and run it up.....i did a post about it last year i think......so that hadnt run for a year.....mounted it on the engine bed put fuel it it....full choke...one pull ...it fires...drop choke to 1/2...pull again and it goes straight onto a slow thumping tickover....so i will have a play with that .............."the smell of napalm in the morning".....aaaahhhhhhahhahhh

so now i will get on with the turbocharger...

post-11401-0-09662400-1489148261_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-11110200-1489148269_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-83793700-1489148278_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-49826900-1489148292_thumb.jpg

right ...took the stud out that i did the other day ...(the one that i wasnt happy with) and ground out as much as i dare from the housing...then made a new high tensile stud......ground that off until i knocked it home to depth...cleared everything up ready for preheat to 600-700deg's then weld...

which i will do this afternoon as i have to do some chores now.....................

post-11401-0-55131500-1489149886_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-03523500-1489149904_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-04151500-1489149913_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-62597200-1489149922_thumb.jpg

the weld dosnt look pretty as i put it on in large blobs......then you peen the weld and grind off the slag which is not like normal slag which you can chip.. off..........put plenty on and reheat....blob somke more weld on....then grind off (dress) to final level and shape...no holes and no inclusions...no porosity....hand finish the stud...where the weld has spotted and melted it a bit....then finish off (when cool) withy an M8mm die...to reform the threads..

post-11401-0-97989100-1489160035_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-24700700-1489160049_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-88982700-1489160061_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-26468400-1489160075_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-60482600-1489160094_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-77802100-1489160104_thumb.jpg

Threads re-cut and formed...........cleaned....then assemble....................all i need to do is cut the stud to lenght.....bobs yer uncle

it ended up a sound permanant job...pleased with it....no damage to the turbine seating....jobs a gooden....will order up the turbo re-build kit next week....for the next installment of

"im mainly doing stuff in der shed"

post-11401-0-63193300-1489160503_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-78211700-1489160513_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-23021800-1489160523_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-63136700-1489160532_thumb.jpg

bit of a moving feast today..............went up to Great Yarmouth yesterday to pick up my con-rods that i put new bushes in...and had bored out (not reamed) at STM engineering...they made a loverly job and the pins go in now slick as snot....if you have the gudgeon pin in your hand for too long it will swell and not enter thebush....so they are spot on.....

then i had a bit of trouble with the mower that i rebuilt (the old acto i have)...carberetta problem which i fixed.........then i thought it might be a good idea to dust down the 35year old TECUMSA engine and run it up.....i did a post about it last year i think......so that hadnt run for a year.....mounted it on the engine bed put fuel it it....full choke...one pull ...it fires...drop choke to 1/2...pull again and it goes straight onto a slow thumping tickover....

I don't want to ransac your thread but I've got a whacker that only runs on choke sounds wrong I know but it's true ! What could that be ??