Help needed

Hendrix's rifle

So we put an offer on a house start of feb, they lost the deeds and are having them reinstated which takes time. In the mean time we were supposed to be renting it at a lower rate as we were buying it anyway and everything our side is in place ready to go. Even accepted to.pay the £500 deposit. Obviously we have spent a lot of money with solicitors and surveys and what not on this house and they have just pulled out and arnt going through with any of it now. Where do I stand? I'm 1500 quid down and shortly no where to live. Any ideas gents because I'm in a bit of a pickle and an really NOT happy. Thanks

Unless you have a rental agreement signed by bit how parties then I'm afraid it's one of life's blows.

Have had it happen a couple of times in the past- one builder on day of exchange/completion said if I didn't stump up an extra £20k he would sell it to someone else.

As you can guess- I told them No

Sorry it's not the news you wish for but current English law is not in the favour of house buying/selling

Most solicitors agreements mean they will only get paid when it all goes through, the only thing i have had to pay for and could have potentially lost out on is the searches which wasnt a lot of money if i remember correctly. Always a kick in the balls but something better will come up and you will forget all about this house falling through.

So we put an offer on a house start of feb, they lost the deeds and are having them reinstated which takes time. In the mean time we were supposed to be renting it at a lower rate as we were buying it anyway and everything our side is in place ready to go. Even accepted to.pay the £500 deposit. Obviously we have spent a lot of money with solicitors and surveys and what not on this house and they have just pulled out and arnt going through with any of it now. Where do I stand? I'm 1500 quid down and shortly no where to live. Any ideas gents because I'm in a bit of a pickle and an really NOT happy. Thanks

If you are still in the property stop paying the rent, it will take them months to get you out.

Alternatively, carry on paying the rent but refuse to leave until you have found somewhere else to live, there's not much they can do apart from getting high court bailiffs to kick you out but this will also take them a long time.

Edited by old'un

If you are still in the property stop paying the rent, it will take them months to get you out.

Alternatively, carry on paying the rent but refuse to leave until you have found somewhere else to live, there's not much they can do apart from getting high court bailiffs to kick you out but this will also take them a long time.

Unfortunately that may be your best option, but is a sad reflection of society today if it happens.

There again, so is the dilemma the OP finds himself in regards the house purchase, always seems more than a bit unfair when this sort of thing happens, and I'm not trying to defend anyone here...but the Purchaser can also walk out of the deal pretty much right up to the last minute as well, so it can sort of work both ways!!

i wouldn't stop paying rent, that will make things worse

Edited by Archie-fox

Nothing you can do im afraid mate, you should get your deposit back but i think you can only start legal stuff if you have exchanged contracts, id speak to a solicitor if i were you.

Thanks all, spoke to my solicitor and she said theres not a lot we can do as they pulled out just before the contracts were signed. Were currently renting somewhere else but though seeing as were buying said house we could rent that for the time being. Plenty more houses out there :) thanks again

The good thing about renting is you can try an area out, I don't see it as dead money you've got to live somewhere.

And you can rent a house or live in an area that you probably couldn't afford to buy in, as you say plenty more out there.