Oil or Wax

nicknsd1978

My new silver pigeon is now roughly 2 years old. Although for the first year I treated it religiously every few weeks with some CCL gun stock oil the pleasure of doing this soon wore off. I haven't treated it for a good 7 or 8 months. I'm wanting to get in some game shooting this winter and didn't know if I would be better to go back to putting on some oil or just putting on some CCL wax polish instead. I have a beretta gell comb raiser though that literally sticks on so didn't know if it would effect this sticking to the wood

I put wax on my oiled stocks and buff them up to a very nice sheen. I've got various oils I use a couple of times a year and wax as neccisary to protect it.

Best finish I've found is oak furniture lands wax, after waxing some oak furniture the finish of the wax was better than ridinor waxwing and pure beeswax.

Edited by figgy

Am not sure about CCL oil but I am currently redoing a stock with trade secrets stock care kit alkanet oil, rapid oil and ts 95 oil they go on in that order the rapid oil is a blend of waxes and oils the ts 95 is a blend of oils. After that they suggest burnishing cream then gp wax to weather proof. I am pondering on finishing with the wax although the finish just now is nice. Wax does not normally work well with sticky things so you might have bother with the comb raiser. Wax can easily be stripped off with wax remover too.

PS instead of burnishing cream I mixed jewellery grade pumice powder with the ts 95 oil

Edited by Andra

Have to say I am well impressed with it. I gave myself a right sore head reading various threads here and elsewhere re the best approach lol then went for their package. I think I gave it 3 coats of alkanet then 3 coats of both the rapid oil and the ts95 (with pumice). Polished up this morning with a glass cloth and looks brill. Another couple of coats and I dont think it will need anything extra on it.

BTW I also read somewhere that coloured waxes are to be avoided as they can penetrate the wood and make it go blotchy.

Have to say I am well impressed with it. I gave myself a right sore head reading various threads here and elsewhere re the best approach lol then went for their package. I think I gave it 3 coats of alkanet then 3 coats of both the rapid oil and the ts95 (with pumice). Polished up this morning with a glass cloth and looks brill. Another couple of coats and I dont think it will need anything extra on it.

BTW I also read somewhere that coloured waxes are to be avoided as they can penetrate the wood and make it go blotchy.

Usually it's 12-15 coats.

• 4 weeks later...

After reading various threads on here (especially one about getting oil out of the stock) regarding oiling the wood, I decided to try Walnut Oil, as recommended by some…….

I used 'English Walnut Oil Preparation' which I bought off Amazon UK for £6. The results were amazing!!! I applied to my B525, B725 and Wingmaster Stocks and forends and they've never looked so good :):):)

Thank you PW peeps :good: