tractor

viking

im all over the shop now :lol: iv now decided i dont want to restore one but just buy a nice one to ride around on, as said iv seen a couple of MF35's for £4-6000, id never even heard of the fordsons, seems i need to do alittle more home work, im not really after a show piece just some thing nice and tidy, or something i can tidy up on myself, i dont mind a little tinkle,

is there any other makes i should be looking at :good::good:

for that money you could get a ford 4000 or 4600

if i had a field to **** about in id have one of them too, went to digger land a few years ago when my son was younger, i loved it more than him :lol:

for that money you could get a ford 4000 or 4600

are they better? and is that a ford, or fordson, complete tractor novice here :good:

…and the new range included the “Select-o-Speed” versions, on which the gear changes were not always very smooth, so they soon acquired the nickname “Jerk-o-Matic”. One of those might be quite a rarity nowadays.

wasnt it called ..selecto-matic......had a tinny looking lever sticking out ofthe dash with 1-8 on it...............

Think the best tractor to do for a virgin...would be the fordson major or the power major....would be nice to get one with a side mounted pully

masseys ...rekon parts are getting expensive.......

would love to do a nuffield...but rekon parts would be none existant...

go for the fordson... :good::good:

You do realise it's Viking not Virgin who's thinking of doing another tractor :lol:

The Old Grey Fergies are a much cheaper way to get a fairly nice tractor that you can use and play about with. Parts readily available and reasonably priced.

35's are getting a bit dear just for a toy but are unlikely to lose any value.

would love to do a nuffield...but rekon parts would be none existant...

Never had an issue getting parts for my brothers nuffield 460, most of the consumables and engine parts are available from the normal suppliers. The engine itself is a common BMC lump and used in many agricultural machines and marinised for boats so just takes a bit more thinking if its not listed as Nuffiled on the tractor spares websites. The body parts are bit more difficult but strangely they do not seem to suffer as badly from rust and rot, maybe its just the different shapes of the panels as the fordson major front cowl is well known for rotting out.

One of my brothers has the 460 my other brother has a power major, out of the two i would always jump on the nuffield.

Edited by ferguson_tom

How about something completely different if you could find one in this country.

I just had another look at it love the little flat head V8 one at the end now that would be something special to have its not like you would be going that fare in it to worry about the fuel consumption.

Edited by four-wheel-drive

...get hold of one of those old Marshalls with the flywheel ...and funny exhaust that blows smoke rings....

...roll a "cigarette", light it, load up with a 12-bore cartridge... Yes, that must surely be the most suitable tractor for any shooting enthusiast.

Father owned one, but I never had a chance to drive it because it went away (probably to the scrapper) before my legs were long enough to work the pedals. But not before it had shaken the grain drill to pieces. Replaced as our ploughing tractor by an E27N on Roadless half-tracks.

my mates brother who is selling the 6 cylinder nuffield said it sound and looks like this one,

not gone into great detail yet but he said it runs after a fashion, need to get a log book for it and its not pretty, i will obviously need to have a look at it, and found out what needs doing to it, apparently he has about 30 tractors, looking for £800 for it :hmm::hmm:

Vilking.................stuff all these modern tractors......get hold of one of those old Marshalls with the flywheel ...and funny exhaust that blows smoke rings....

I used to drive a CAT D8 22A, on a cold morning when winding her up with the donkey engine, she would blow smoke rings 4 feet across ditchman.

The 6 cylinder will be on a conversion and not original. All depends how good the conversion is, chances are it's a Leyland lorry engine if so check if cooling system has been upgraded as normally the standard 4 pot Nuffield system cant handle the extra heat generated.

To be honest there is a lot nicer tractors around and than some farm bodge play thing.

I've got a well restored TE20 with the petrol engine. I've used the 135 also in the past. Slightly regret not getting ac35 now as the TE20 is a bit underpowered for my flail mower. I've run a diesel one with a topper with no problems but my new flail mower needs more power.

So if you want to put it to work the 35 may be better, my little grey fergie was brilliant.. in 1950!

its a long drive but come down to the cheffins sale this weekend in Ely Cambridgeshire. They have a good selection of tractors and you can sometimes pick up a bargain if your not being picky of what you want. The July auction is the smallest vintage auction of the year so doesnt draw a big a crowd but often means less people with money in their pockets!

http://www.cheffins.co.uk/auctions/vintage-and-steam/sales-dates-and-catalogues