2017 Corn Harvest

Salop Matt

It will mostly be winter barley being cut at the moment, maybe with a bit of rape not far off. The bits I shoot over on sandy land are poor, the crop died rather than ripened properly. The heavy clay I shoot over is still weeks away from anything being ready

Yes, I believe it's the ban on neonicotinoids used to control flea beetle that has had the impact on rape growing.

The amount of fields growing rape around my way is significantly less than in previous years. More peas and linseed this year. Are others seeing the same.

The amount of fields growing rape around my way is significantly less than in previous years. More peas and linseed this year. Are others seeing the same.

We have more rape in than anything else, rape, wheat, barley then beans, in that order.

You'll probably find it's just the way the new rotations rules forcing growers into what they drill.

We've got fields that beans won't grow on, so we have odd patches of strange crops to fulfil the N fixing rules.

Yes, I believe it's the ban on neonicotinoids used to control flea beetle that has had the impact on rape growing.

Nail on the head, it's also an expensive crop to grow some years and can easily be lost in a later thunderstorm prior to harvest. Speaking to farmers as I go on farm with training courses, those that have stopped growing it don't miss it, also they are noticing less slugs in their fields without it.

Nail on the head, it's also an expensive crop to grow some years and can easily be lost in a later thunderstorm prior to harvest. Speaking to farmers as I go on farm with training courses, those that have stopped growing it don't miss it, also they are noticing less slugs in their fields without it.

Ours have lost the last 3 years attempts at rape flea beetle has just crucified them. Our area of herts has very little now and it's not for lack of them trying

Ours have lost the last 3 years attempts at rape flea beetle has just crucified them. Our area of herts has very little now and it's not for lack of them trying

The neighbours to a farm I do some work on lost a lot to CSFB last year, the seed we bought actually had the damn things in when we put it in the drill!last year.

We have more rape this year than ever before. Sprayed it off Monday/Tuesday so will be about 3 weeks off cutting. Trouble with rape is there is something or other trying to eat it from the moment it goes in the ground until the moment you cut it. We are about 3 weeks off for our rye grass too.

Wheat is coming on now too with some patches burning off early with the dry weather. 2nd wheat is a bit more forward. Spring barley is doing well now after a very poor and very dry start and a fair hammering off the pigeons.

All my mates here in East Yorkshire seem to have started on the winter barley last night and are going for it. I'm not a farmer but the OSR looks a funny colour this year to me. Spring barley and wheat look like being weeks away yet.

I'm going for a mooch with the dog tomorrow morning so I can ask if anyone's interested?

GG