BBC squirrel shooting film

Does this herald a change in the beeb's attitude, hope so but doubt it.

Racist ! xenophobic ! the mind boggles. By definition does this mean if you only shoot old or one gender of squizzer you are also ageist and sexist. The list could go on but that would be as silly as the daft muppets who make these idiotic claims.

It is amazing how normal ordinary folk just do not understand why there is a need to get the grey squirrel population to zero .... may never happen in my lifetime but I hope through excellent films such as this and by we, country folk who understand explaining how the greys do so much damage not only to the reds, but to other wildlife. I only have a small piece of woodland, 10 acres I planted 20yrs ago but after greys ate the fronts out of most of the bird boxes I put up, I declared that it would become a grey squirrel free zone. Any which attempt to make it their home last on average 48hrs. In four years the small songbird population has exploded. I have nine live catch cages set around the wood with feeders in the corners which the birds can use without getting caught but any grey tree rat will. I am also making and putting up tree traps, basically 9 inch square steel boxes, with a shelf and access from the bottom for the squirrel. A Fenn trap is set on the shelf baited with peanut butter. You can buy these ready made, but they are very easy to make if you can find some metal sheeting, the panels from old fridges, cookers etc are ideal and you don't need a welder... use the small self drilling self tapping screws.

The thing doesn't have to look pretty to work.

It really does need a concerted effort by all of us shooters to get the numbers down.

I don't eat the things but leave them belly up on a ride and the buzzard or fox will have them cleared away by next morning. Whilst they are feasting on 'ready meal' squirrel, they are not eating a pheasant or partridge.