Gun prices compared to the usa

I was in Florida 2 years ago and '*****' (sports shop/chain lol) had them on offer for $199 inc scope, mounts, sleeve and that was during a tax free weekend.

I remember seeing beretta urika's in upstate New York in 2009 for a fraction of the cost over here. If my mind serves me correct $600 was the price and at that time it was over $1.50 to £1.

Bit of a daft comparison really, yes tax and margin play a part but thats also the case in the US. It boils down to to sales volume, the US consume far more firearms and associated products than the UK does or ever will. Importers, distributors and retailers all have to maximise their margin so prices will always be higher to support the lower volume.

As it happens the difference in regular RRP isnt that massive (I spend a lot of time working the US) but they do have far more frequent periods where discounts and special offers are available, often with very aggressive discounting. On a recent trip to San Antonio I saw a gun shop selling brand new Glock G26 Gen4's for $500, the RRP is nearer the 625 mark..

25yrs ago, you could import a rifle from the USA personally and even paying the shipping and taxes it was often cheaper than buying here in the UK. THEN ... the authorities in the USA increased the export license fee to $250 from $50 ...exchange rate back then was around 1.80 ...1.90 to the £. As said, quantity sales and very high sales competition, with the likes of Walmart almost selling at cost to them to draw you in to the store, where you will without doubt, buy something else. I just checked the time on my watch which I purchased in a Walmart store in 1990 for $9 and it has never missed a second since then.

Those were the days, I remember buying AR15 components and accessories for my BP revolvers from the USA on the web. Cheap as chips and always arrived, none of this Brownells UK ripoff prices!

That was probably around 15 years ago

Edited by Wingman