Outbuilding cost

Lloyd90

Just wondering if anyone has a rough cost of a block/brick outbuilding.

Am viewing a house which has planning approved for a 6x6 outbuilding for shed/workshop, so I'm just wondering what something like that would cost to put up. I imagine the cost will range widely however, it's based near Bristol.

Can u do the work urself?

Can u get easy access for machines and concrete jigger?

If 6x6m ur 36m2 of flooring (so ur looking about 3.6 cube of concrete to floor it at 4" thick, up my way its just under 90 quid a cube)

Ur 10 blocks to a m2, i've heard 1 per block is about going rate for someone laying them

Wot are u doing for roofing? Flat tin roof, peaked, insulated tin?

Can u do the work urself?

Can u get easy access for machines and concrete jigger?

If 6x6m ur 36m2 of flooring (so ur looking about 3.6 cube of concrete to floor it at 4" thick, up my way its just under 90 quid a cube)

Ur 10 blocks to a m2, i've heard 1 per block is about going rate for someone laying them

Wot are u doing for roofing? Flat tin roof, peaked, insulated tin?

No I can't do the work myself. There is easy access for machines. Let's assume a peaked roof as I would prefer overhead space.

I imagine it would be expensive.

Sometimes block built aren't much more if dearer than timber built if u can do the work urself.

I'm in process of building a kennel block/shed which is not much smaller (only 5m2 smaller in the shed) than that ignoring my time i'm hoping to do it for around 1K ish (but i already had a load of cheap mis-sized blocks sitting, althou a bloody pita to build with), but just a flat insulated tin roof using seconds roofing sheets and going to the window bit the morrow to try and find some cheap mis-sized windows and build the shed round them.

Hi, i'm building a 8mx5m with a 2.4m high internal ceiling height block and brick extension it will come in at £8.5 k from start to finish that is with a £1k contingency, i have done all the work myself including the footings, this will create a bedroom with an ensuite bathroom. Cheapest builders quote was £37.5 k , dearest was £70 k , so a huge difference in costs, we do have a great building control guy who has been really helpful all through the process and visits the site regularly. Good luck with it all

S

Concrete round my way was 130 a cube and that was cheapest I could get. 90 a cube you'd have to order hundred meters to get a price that low. Your lucky.

LLoyd learn how to lay blocks and do it yourself. You can buy a jig for the mortar and it makes a good job, it will just take you longer to build is all.

Edited by figgy

It would appear a wooden made 6m x 6m shed type garage are selling online for around £4500 plus then the base so I'm guessing a block build one with decent roof would be coming in around £10-15k ?

I use timber buildings at work, they are very smart. Look at somewhere like Harlow Bros in Loughborough and look at the adaptable storage builds, bespoke built, very smart and really reasonable.

Concrete round my way was 130 a cube and that was cheapest I could get. 90 a cube you'd have to order hundred meters to get a price that low. Your lucky.

LLoyd learn how to lay blocks and do it yourself. You can buy a jig for the mortar and it makes a good job, it will just take you longer to build is all.

Is it easy to do?

My chances of being a proper good handy man ended when my D&T teacher cancelled my year 9 exam for talking. I asked the girl sat next to me "can I use your colours?" as it exam paper gave extra marks for colouring in! :lol: Dropped the subject following that!

Are you near anyone off here that's a brickie or any mates? Always easier if someone can show you how.

My brother did his own brick built shed last year, think he took a week off having already done the base smaller than your 6*6 but should save yourself a fair bit, or an evening class if you can fit it in.

Done an evening class on brick laying some years back,,in fact I did it 2 years on the trot..

Great companionship fron instructors and the students as well,really good fun..

Did manage a Large garage 20ft x 12ft,,,and a porch which was my first paid job..

Neighbour thought the bricky must cost a fortune as it was such a good job..

Praise indeed..

Hi

The bricklaying course I did around here was I think 8 weeks and well worth it, but you do need to keep your hand in otherwise all falls away.....

Run by the local FE College 2 hours, once a week in the evenings.

L

Hi

The bricklaying course I did around here was I think 8 weeks and well worth it, but you do need to keep your hand in otherwise all falls away.....

Run by the local FE College 2 hours, once a week in the evenings.

L

Do you know the name of the type of course / level?

I will look it up :)

While i try to do things like this myself, having thought about it, its mibbee a bit on the big side for a novice to try to learn on, ur better starting small especially if they are out of normal sight so stanard/finish doesn't matter so much

Would be easy to get a sag in line in the middle or get a bend in it somehow when working on such long walls, also u'll be wanting a decent job done as it sounds like a big/decent shed that u will see often and the materials themselve will not be that cheap.

Just wondering is there a reason why it's 6x6m? Or why it needed planning?

Might be different in ur area but i thought u can build up to a 30m2 (6x5m) without planning permissinon. Sort of sounds like the seller has put in for planning for a shed to help sell his house? But i could be totaly wrong and planning may be tighter in ur area or it may be near a boundry etc so needed planning anyway

Edited by scotslad