Green Lane/Enduro

fat_jay

Just bought my first bike (Husky TE 310) with a view to doing some green laneing and generally messing about off road.

Still need to do my test but happily messing around on the stubble at the moment.

Anyone else ride off road or on the lanes?

I do. Have a ktm sxf450, do enduros, mess around in the inlaws fields and a friends 100 acre rough ground, also go up some ofthe hills around where I live, did a couple of Motocross days but find them a tad boring..out in the wild is best!

Had a ccm 604e before when I lived in England it was great fun too. Had a cr250 and the immense cr500.

It's good fun! Just be aware of other users of the grant lanes, be polite and don't go too wild

The advice above is good regarding being polite, sensible etc., I live in a village which is midway between green lanes and we have lots of bikes and 4x4s. Most are good guys and potter through the village on low throttle and sensible speed, however there are a significant few who scream through the village at full throttle and often just on the back wheel. These idiots are eventually going to lose you your access and pastime. One lane in particular has been coated in plannings, so some bikers are riding down, in and out of the drainage ditches on either side to satisfy their egos, again, such antics will eventually bring an end to an enjoyable pastime.

I'm not a wet blanket at all, just saying. I am an ex motor cyclist part of the time with a 'pocket book'.

Enjoy your bike.

Get yourself in the trf, membership isn't bad and there's rides all over the country. Good bunch of lads on there. I rode green lanes and competed motocross and enduro (preferred the latter) just sold my Mxc desert racing edition 525 though :( try an enduro on that, you will know what hard work is :lol: also, have a look in to mitas tyres, great on and off road and shame Michelins ac10's. There ****. Or the Pirelli scorpions are good and legal! Remember to carry spares when your out, levers and chain links and what not, also look into the tubliss, there legal unlike Moose's and if the authority check there won't be any issues!

TRF are a good start to your off road riding as they have a wealth of knowledge in your local area of where you can ride legally and after a meeting will invite you to ride with them on their weekly ride out.

As previously stated only ride where you are allowed as it can get very expensive if you are caught riding in the wrong place.

Always ride with someone in case of getting lost or having an off, and you will, it's not as easy as it looks believe me.

OS maps are your best source of finding Byways Open to All Traffic as many are restricted, learn how to read the map and it opens all sorts of places you never knew existed to ride.

Ride within your capabilities not those around you and it hurts less.

I used to ride lanes and enduro and always enjoyed the days out meeting new friends, but be warned as many friends as you meet there is the same amount of people who don't like you doing it, bit like shooting really.

You can always check the current status of Byeways and any closures/restrictions at the County Councils 'Rights of Way' Dept' before you go riding them.

Used to do a lot of Driving Byeways in Essex and East Anglia, always checked unfamiliar routes with ROW depts before travelling.