Temp cert

mark a

Section 7 of the 1968 Act enables a chief officer of police to issue to a person a permit authorising them to possess a firearm or ammunition to which section 1 of the 1968 Act applies, or a shotgun, in any special case where it may not be necessary or desirable to issue a certificate. For example, a permit should in normal circumstances be issued to authorise the temporary possession by a relative or the executor of a deceased person, or the receiver of a bankrupts estate, of firearms or ammunition forming part of the property of the deceased person or bankrupt. A permit may not be issued to authorise the purchase or acquisition of firearms or ammunition (but see section 5(1) of the 1988 Act and chapter 15). If it does not specify possession only, it will be assumed by default that the permit allows use. A permit should be issued if a certificate holders firearm certificate or shotgun certificate has expired and they have made reasonable efforts to renew in good time.

No purchase, but possess, use, sell possible.

Edited by seeker

Correct

Top marks for speed, but otherwise = quack quack oops :hmmm:

Section 7 of the 1968 Act enables a chief officer of police to issue to a person a permit authorising them to possess a firearm or ammunition to which section 1 of the 1968 Act applies, or a shotgun, in any special case where it may not be necessary or desirable to issue a certificate. For example, a permit should in normal circumstances be issued to authorise the temporary possession by a relative or the executor of a deceased person, or the receiver of a bankrupts estate, of firearms or ammunition forming part of the property of the deceased person or bankrupt. A permit may not be issued to authorise the purchase or acquisition of firearms or ammunition (but see section 5(1) of the 1988 Act and chapter 15). If it does not specify possession only, it will be assumed by default that the permit allows use. A permit should be issued if a certificate holders firearm certificate or shotgun certificate has expired and they have made reasonable efforts to renew in good time.

No purchase, but possess, use, sell possible.

My first experience of the Section 7 permit was in the hands of "the new widows club" fraternity, as when a club shooter suddenly dies leaving behind a few guns & associated accessories & small hillock of ammo, said widow by default would be granted a temp, S.7 permit, to allow her to possess & sell off said shooting kit at her leisure & having had sufficient time to grieve, seek valuations, check the will, returned loaned out kit, etc.

I have received a "temporary permit to possess" my shotguns, as my SGC renewal will not be processed before it runs out on the 17th August.

I didnt realise I couldn't use it to purchase shotgun cartridges ( see Seeker's post above) , I have asked Kent Police for clarification.

I was told by my FEO (Kent) that a Section 7 *does* allow you to buy shotgun cartridges.

However, you can't buy section 1 ammunition on a temp permit.

I was told by my FEO (Kent) that a Section 7 *does* allow you to buy shotgun cartridges.

However, you can't buy section 1 ammunition on a temp permit.

Today I received this email from Kent Police.

"Thank you for your email.

I can confirm that you can buy cartridges with your shotgun permit."

That suits me.

Today I received this email from Kent Police.

"Thank you for your email.

I can confirm that you can buy cartridges with your shotgun permit."

That suits me.

But you don't have a Shotgun permit , you have a section 7 so perhaps they could send yo another email with the correct words in it.

But you don't have a Shotgun permit , you have a section 7 so perhaps they could send yo another email with the correct words in it.

What I have is headed, "Permit to possess Shot Guns" .

The sub heading says, "This permit is issued under Section 7 of the Firearms Act 1968. The permit holder is requested to report the loss of this permit to the local police at once".

Hopefully , there is still a chance that my SGC renewal will be done via telephone conversation (which cuts the delay), but it will be interesting to see what happens when I next go to buy some cartridges.

Also, my Permit Number is not the same as my SGC number.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update on this.

Today I had my telephone "interview" with Kent Police FEO and I have been assured my new licence will be in the post tonight.

The "interview" consisted of me confirming all facts as stated still applied and the details of the guns I have.

My existing SGC expires on 17th August and so it seems I will not require to use my "Permit".