Any good tips for the Barnard Castle area?

Pushkin

Heading down that way for a week this Saturday. We like the area but never really get to see all that is on offer. Will be spending a good time in the Lyons/Bowes Museum - heard it is a must for the area. Any other recommendations. Just the 2 of us no kids.

Cheers

Pushkin :)

Presumably you have seen the other thread running on this topic?

High Force and Cauldron Snout are spectacular when the Tees water level is high.

Auckland Castle is worth a visit, and has an impressive Deer House (the deer probably had a higher standard of living than the peasants).

If you like to see grouse, drive slowly along the road from across the moors from Eggleston to Blanchland via Stanhope, and watch their little heads popping out from the heather. No idea what numbers are like this year, but I’ve seen enormous quantities there in the past, especially around Bollihope.

Richmond is an interesting little town, with a gun shop in the market square, where I have browsed a couple of times while SWMBO went shopping.

Ain't been for a couple of years but assuming it's in the same hands? You could treat your missus to dinner in the Forresters in Middleton, excellent French cuisine, recommended, but not cheap!....or if your a cheapskate buy a couple of bottles of their Bretton cider from the bar to 'take out' or drink in....very nice!

Heading down that way for a week this Saturday. We like the area but never really get to see all that is on offer. Will be spending a good time in the Lyons/Bowes Museum - heard it is a must for the area. Any other recommendations. Just the 2 of us no kids.

Cheers

Pushkin :)

Mrs and the dog and I are here as we speak mate. Were are you staying and with or without a dog ??

Raby Castle is a must, one of the best preserved medieval castles anywhere. Also you are quite close to Hannahs meadow of Hannah Hauxwell 'If you visit the Bowes museum make sure you see the silver swan.and you will not be too far away from Tan Hill the highest pub in the UK.Reading before you get here to get a feel for it. The Inn At The Top. and take a look at a dvd called a Winter Too Far. Enjoy. from Auntie,.

For good reasonably priced food try the Crown at Mickleton. There is a lovely walk behind the pub along an old railway line which takes you into Middleton in Teesdale.Stunning scenery along the way.

Bowes museum is a good shout, along with the Silver Swan also make sure you see the two headed calf !!. There is a lovely walk from the town centre which takes you along the river to Egglestone Abbey which is nice.

Also worth a look is Kynren near Bishop Auckland. Google it to see if its your sort of thing as its quite pricey

Gilsan sports in both Richmond and leyburn are worth a look in.

A look online at what to do in the area will give you plenty of ideas including what you get here. The grouse moors are stunning at this time of year ready for the glorious twelfth.

Good stuff folks, knew you would come up with the goods if asked :)

Alex C: Posted Yesterday, 10:13 PM

For good reasonably priced food try the Crown at Mickleton. There is a lovely walk behind the pub along an old railway line which takes you into Middleton in Teesdale.Stunning scenery along the way.

Bowes museum is a good shout, along with the Silver Swan also make sure you see the two headed calf !!. There is a lovely walk from the town centre which takes you along the river to Egglestone Abbey which is nice.

Also worth a look is Kynren near Bishop Auckland. Google it to see if its your sort of thing as its quite pricey.

Glad to hear the food is good where I'm staying :lol: No dog - but getting itchy feet again - shhhhh don't let the missus know. IPS when are you leaving? Kynren all off line at present left message requesting dates and prices - sounds quite good but will be late at night and for 90 minutes - better check with the missus on that one she's always in bed by ten latest.

100MA Hannah Hauxwell - now that name rings a bell - googling at present to look see. Bowes is a definite and yes the swan is high on the must see list - same with the highest pub to wet my throat.

McSpredder no I haven't seen the other thread but will look now for it.

Figgy Richmond aye, have spent many a good time there when our boys were much younger. Leyburn I bought a leather cartridge belt there in a wee auction shop - even got it for a good price too :yes: . Its all a lovely area around that part of the country.

Thanks for all the info and tips folks - will let you know how we get on.

Pushkin :good:

Don't sleep under tanks.

WW2 saw my very young mother & uncle evacuated to the Barnard Castle area.... (Cat Castle)

The area was awash with Italian PoW's as well as British & Allied troops carrying out various training exercises. During one a few tankie types followed their standard practice of sleeping under the tank at night-time.

Not a good idea on soft ground. They had to dig them out...and a few fatalities among them.

No idea where it was/is....but my uncle's trick was to take my gran for a stroll along a track. At certain points on the track targets would jump up or pop around trees. It was a sten gun training range/lane for reactive shooting!

Surprised my gran made it to 99, what with his antics & her being bombed in both world wars!

Don't sleep under tanks.

WW2 saw my very young mother & uncle evacuated to the Barnard Castle area.... (Cat Castle)

The area was awash with Italian PoW's as well as British & Allied troops carrying out various training exercises. During one a few tankie types followed their standard practice of sleeping under the tank at night-time.

Not a good idea on soft ground. They had to dig them out...and a few fatalities among them.

No idea where it was/is....but my uncle's trick was to take my gran for a stroll along a track. At certain points on the track targets would jump up or pop around trees. It was a sten gun training range/lane for reactive shooting!

Surprised my gran made it to 99, what with his antics & her being bombed in both world wars!

Barford camp was where the tanks were stationed across the valley to the south was Winston between Barford and Banie there was Stainton camp and out of banie on the Lartington road was Deerbolt, this is now a detention centre for the bad boys .

Feltwad

If youre staying at the Crown in Mickleton you will be either Caravanning or staying in the little cottage at the pub. Both are great.

We have our shoot breakfasts at the Pub and also use it as the venue for our end of season dinners. Andy , the owner, is a lovely bloke and a great chef. Don't leave without having some of his black pudding !

Enjoy

Barford camp was where the tanks were stationed across the valley to the south was Winston between Barford and Banie there was Stainton camp and out of banie on the Lartington road was Deerbolt, this is now a detention centre for the bad boys .

Feltwad

Spent several weekends at Staindrop camp....very surprised to see that it's vanished from the landscape now! Lots of history lost.

Alex C Posted Today, 06:33 PM

If youre staying at the Crown in Mickleton you will be either Caravanning or staying in the little cottage at the pub. Both are great.

We have our shoot breakfasts at the Pub and also use it as the venue for our end of season dinners. Andy , the owner, is a lovely bloke and a great chef. Don't leave without having some of his black pudding !

Enjoy

Hi Alex - sorry I meant the village not the Crown itself. But I'll be in for a meal or two no doubt - perhaps even some liquid mouthwash :yahoo:
Pushkin :ninja:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Folks. just want to say we had a great time down in the area for the week. Bowes Museum - fantastic. High force and low force both very refreshing. Great antique shops in the area and not too pricey.I'd recommend Eggelston gardens for a lovely time out for a day if you like that sort of thing - the place is great. Ate out all over the place - some better than others but all wanting to please us and prices okay.

Thanks for all the tips on places to go etc, it helped me out a lot. :good:

Regards

Pushkin :ninja: