Buying a Gun Abroad....

Romes

Hi all,

I am thinking of going on holiday later this year, driving to Italy and was wondering if I were to see a gun that I liked how would I go about bringing it back to the UK?

I will be taking my licence with me, so the buying shouldn’t be a problem, but:

Do I have to pay duty on the gun as I am importing it in essence?

Do I have to fill in many forms etc. to bring it into the UK?

I presume I would have to declare the gun when I enter back into the UK.

What is the legality of having the gun in the car for a few weeks whilst travelling?

I will be travelling by car, however, there will be times where the car will be travelling overnight via Auto Train and thus not in my possession which means that someone could have access to the gun in the boot. On the flip side, I don't think the passengers of the TGV would be particularly happy with me getting on the train with a gun slip or case.

Any help appreciated....

If you get something and you have to travel with it, break it down into it's smaller sections. wrap it up in towels or the like in different bags and no one will be aware that you have it, unlike going into a hotel with a full length slip. A lot of places wont allow you to have a weapon on hotel grounds due to company policy. but if you dont show it and dont mention it, no one is going to be any the wiser. if you have to go out for a meal take the sports bag with you with the bits wrapped up in a towel. you will probably get hit with VAT when you bring it back in. I dont know if paying local taxes out there covers this. ask your firearms dept what the score is beforehand. I wouldn't bother with feo because most of them haven't got a clue as to what the real rules are and just make it up as they go along to suit their own ideas or interpretations.

The European Firearms pass cost you nothing anyway, so get one and have it with you. I visited Slovenia seven times before I came across a Police Inspector grade who asked me for mine. I didn't have it with me and explained how many times I had visited without any request. He accepted that but next visit we had to collect out guns in the police office and guess who was in charge. Still just doing his job and was very pleasant. The transport you use may want to know ... up to you but if caught you have lost a lot when simply applying the regs is pretty simple.

To import from Italy is simple, you need to have your licence with you, buy the gun in plenty of time before your return travel, because the seller needs to get a permit from the police for it to leave the country.

I have done this a number of times, it can take a week to get the permit. Once the seller has it, they will enter it on your licence, then off you go, it will not be on your efp, as only the police in the UK can enter a gun on it. If you travel via the Turin tunnel its easier than through Switzerland.

Your other option is to get it shipped to an RFD, they would need to email a copy of the dealer ticket to the seller, again the licence is aquired, then the gun would come on the weekly roadtrain, to a central hub in Birmingham then TNT to the Dealer.

Inform the ferry company or train etc. its a simple operation.

As Phil says Piovanelli does this everyday, they are not the cheapest, but have a good selection, but if you want something a bit special I use a couple of other Dealers....

The firearms laws generally have been tightened up a lot in Italy. My friend over there is constantly moaning about silly restrictions.

It would be interesting to know what the laws are in each of the different countries, for comparison

Edited by Vince Green

Can't you pay for it, get them to put it on your ticket and then send it straight to your house once your home, as I'm under the impression that you can have guns sent from mainland europe to your home address but you can't have one sent from this country to a UK address.

Just asking.

Can't you pay for it, get them to put it on your ticket and then send it straight to your house once your home, as I'm under the impression that you can have guns sent from mainland europe to your home address but you can't have one sent from this country to a UK address.

Just asking.

Dont think you can get them sent to your house (imagine the posties face delivering it - besides he wouldnt be licenced), you can get them sent to a RFD though and collect them.