New Scope for my .17 Hornet

Zetter

Finally got the money together for a new scope for my .17 hornet. I am looking at either a Sightron 3-16x42 or a Vortex viper 4-16x44 HS any opinons on either of the two?

Another one that caught my eye is a Konus scope but havent heard a lot about them so unsure on that.

I currently have an MTC Genersis on it at the moment but it doesnt really suit my eyes.

Budget is up to £500

Cheers Zetter

I've got the Vortex on mine and I'm very pleased with it. I would buy another.

Like you, it was a toss up between the Vortex and Sightron but in the end, I tossed a coin and the Vortex won and I have to say I've not been disappointed. It's had some rough use and bounces around in the Gator all day without a problem. Clicks are precise, holds zero and suits my old eyes ............nothing not to like about it. I'm just about to order another for my .204.

Never really thought about the endurance range Steve. Compared to say Leupold VX2-3 how do you think they compare?

To be honest, I've never tried a Leopold. although I know they are damn good scopes. The Hawke Endurance is an exellent one for the money. I've used one on my .243 and 22-250. I sold it a few years ago, but have just bought a new one for around £300 to sit on my .204 Ruger. And the 10 year warranty is exellent. The previous one I had developed a slight fault after 3.5 years, and when I sent it off for repair under warranty, a brand new one was sent as a replacement a few days later. I think it would suit your needs.

If your not too late there is a sightron 8-32×56 LRMOA for sale. A bit over budget but for the extra 125 (I think) you will not be disappointed. It's normally a 900+ scope, that will, if you want to, be suitable for any future rifle you may need for long range stuff.

If your after one to use with nv then I cannot say how good the sightron is with tubed.

Just looked and the sightron is 615.

Edited by Dougy

To be honest, I've never tried a Leopold. although I know they are damn good scopes. The Hawke Endurance is an exellent one for the money. I've used one on my .243 and 22-250. I sold it a few years ago, but have just bought a new one for around £300 to sit on my .204 Ruger. And the 10 year warranty is exellent. The previous one I had developed a slight fault after 3.5 years, and when I sent it off for repair under warranty, a brand new one was sent as a replacement a few days later. I think it would suit your needs.

Great scopes the Leopolds Steve.........and with a lifetime guarantee

If your not too late there is a sightron 8-32×56 LRMOA for sale. A bit over budget but for the extra 125 (I think) you will not be disappointed. It's normally a 900+ scope, that will, if you want to, be suitable for any future rifle you may need for long range stuff.

If your after one to use with nv then I cannot say how good the sightron is with tubed.

Just looked and the sightron is 615.

Cheers Dougy

Had a look at that one but it will need to wait until payday for the extra funds so may see if its still about then.

Zetter

And also consider the size of the rifle, these huge scopes that everyone is recommending can ruin the balance of a rifle.

I can understand for a stalking rifle but for a static or truck rifle it won't make much difference,apart from looking a little mpg.

Add to that a lamp and mod and the balance has gone completely. I bet it will have both of those stuck on it more than not.

Edited by Dougy

There is no point staying small objective to keep the tube low on a 527, the bolt handle will struggle to clear the ocular body in it and why I wouldnt even bother thinking of anything less than a 50mm objective

I've a low mounted 36mm easy little bolt mods to get the scope down where it should be on a sweet light rifle no point have the Hubble on it.

I have recently put a Hawke Airmax on my 17HMR and love it to bits. If I had a 17 Hornet I would be tempted to do the same. Of course do not know how you will be using the rifle, so if walking around a lot then a heavy scope may add to the burden, but if 50/50 walk and ambush then well worth having a look. The easy adjustments allow me to pick out those bunnies ears above the grass with clarity at all distances.

I am also a fan of the Hawk Endurance scopes have half a dozen and they have served me well.

Are you going to the shoot at catton Sunday ?

Afraid not Dougy just returned from Hols today so the wife has put a block on that

https://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/product/discontinued-bushnell-elite-6-24x40-ao-mil-dot-riflescope-au17897/

This would be my choice, save the rest of your money for some bullets!

Despite its a good deal my eyes hate Bushnell for some reason I have looked through all the top end stuff and I just cant get on with them.