ips

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm only aware of the cracking issue.

My pals navara passed the nissan inspection, but was told by them to keep an eye on it. Few weeks later it failed the MOT due to a crack appearing where they reckoned it would. A surprisingly clean crack too.

I had a good looked under it myself before it went through to Inverness for the first inspection and the issue wan't corrosion, as there was no rust visible on that vehicle.

You need to see them 05 to 07 seem the worst but it's happening on such a scale that Nissan are buying them back in their thousands. The chassis are literally rusting through to the point they cannot be welded as you can't find anything to weld to

Xtrail is a nice car but the Terrano is much better off road.

I have both and the Terrano wins by a long way, Xtrail wins if you want to drive a long way.

I'd agree with 39 TDS to a agree, having had both the Terrano and the currently the X-Trail. I found my diesel Terrano to be totally gutless with regards to power, although i can't recall what engine it had. For a more off-road bias vehicle i found it quite nice to drive, even on long journeys.

The X-Trail however is hugely better on the road. More refined, but more on-road bias. Fuel economy is late 30's to the gallon. I tested it, and 37 mpg overall rings a bell. Great to have the option to switch to auto "4x4" or permanent. I have VERY off road bias tyres fitted. The ride is still very nice, although there's no getting away from the fact that the tyre's are annoying at times due to the constant "humming" I wish i had gone for less off road bias tyre's. Having said that, it's great off road!

Rust. The front outer wings are plastic. The thing to look out for is rust around the rear wheel arches. Debris/mud sits on the inner edge and gradually eats it away from the inside out. Only a few bubbles on my one rear arch, so i cleaned out both rear arches, applied a few coats of Kurust, followed by loads of underseal. The idea being the under edge of the arches were not a 90 degree angle any more. More of a slope, so the debris and water slide of. I did all this as i intend to keep mine for a long time. It drives lovely. Even compared to my 2014 Ford Kuga AWD.

The other item, which is a BIGGY! A lot of the diesel engines suffer turbo failure around 90 to 100K. Mine had just been replaced, at 90K.

Regardless of the few issues like most vehicles have, i'm totally chuffed to bits with mine, and will definately get another when this one has had it's time.

James

I needed a vehicle which could tow my mini digger and 3 tonne dumper and take me shooting, so I was limited to a big 4x4 not a small one.....! I paid 650 for a 1996 Isuzu trooper 3.1 3 door manual, yes it needed a little work so I changed the rear springs and shocks and full exhaust myself for the grand sum of 180 pounds, yes it's a bit of a shed with lots of dents and scratches however it starts every time and came with two sets of wheels and tyres (off road/on road) plenty of room in the back it tows like a dream and believe it or not it sips fuel....

Best thing though..... Dropped a ladder on it last week!!! Did I care? Nope can't say that if I'd spent a couple of grand on one...

Tedly

Edited by Tedly47

• 2 weeks later...

same as Ian, I have been hunting around for a cheapish 4 x 4 shooting vehicle/towing my trailer, I did have a short wheel base shogun, great truck but sold that, not enough room with the dog box in for all the other stuff, ideally 5 door with an up tailgate,not bothered about the mpg as will not be high miles, and cheap. originally the x trail was a strong contender seemed like a good versatile motor, until I was in a used car lot talking to the owner, who said they won't touch x trails anymore!! they're nothing but problems for them, that's enough for me, they're out. Kia's are out in my price bracket, rust, expensive parts and to repair.

Kept coming back to a shogun sport, even though the 2.5 engine is plagued with problems, its a proper 4 x 4, tows well, 5 door, up tailgate, so been putting some miles in looking around, was out all day saturday looking and ended up buying one, £1900, two and a half hours from home, 2006 warrior, MOT until January, good bodywork, all the panel gaps are right, no overspray anywhere, interior is good for 125000 miles, got an oil leak but my 4 x 4 guy says the 2.5's come out the factory with oil leaks, bought as seen, no history apart from the MOT history, so its booked in to have all the oils, filters and belts changed along with anything else that he finds!!

post-25275-0-03605100-1504540823_thumb.jpg

already been ordering bits for it, film for tinting the rear windows, leather steering wheel cover,those wind deflector things for the windows

Edited by itchy trigger

went to the post office today to tax it £535

What year is it my 2006 Jeep 2.8 CRD is is that but I pay it monthly do its more like £545 per year robbing ********.

This is the place to check what the road tax should be http://carfueldata.dft.gov.uk/new-vehicle-tax.aspx?t=23ude39

Edited by four-wheel-drive

I'd agree with 39 TDS to a agree, having had both the Terrano and the currently the X-Trail. I found my diesel Terrano to be totally gutless with regards to power, although i can't recall what engine it had. For a more off-road bias vehicle i found it quite nice to drive, even on long journeys.

The X-Trail however is hugely better on the road. More refined, but more on-road bias. Fuel economy is late 30's to the gallon. I tested it, and 37 mpg overall rings a bell. Great to have the option to switch to auto "4x4" or permanent. I have VERY off road bias tyres fitted. The ride is still very nice, although there's no getting away from the fact that the tyre's are annoying at times due to the constant "humming" I wish i had gone for less off road bias tyre's. Having said that, it's great off road!

Rust. The front outer wings are plastic. The thing to look out for is rust around the rear wheel arches. Debris/mud sits on the inner edge and gradually eats it away from the inside out. Only a few bubbles on my one rear arch, so i cleaned out both rear arches, applied a few coats of Kurust, followed by loads of underseal. The idea being the under edge of the arches were not a 90 degree angle any more. More of a slope, so the debris and water slide of. I did all this as i intend to keep mine for a long time. It drives lovely. Even compared to my 2014 Ford Kuga AWD.

The other item, which is a BIGGY! A lot of the diesel engines suffer turbo failure around 90 to 100K. Mine had just been replaced, at 90K.

Regardless of the few issues like most vehicles have, i'm totally chuffed to bits with mine, and will definately get another when this one has had it's time.

James

As above really, I've recently started using a 53 reg 2.5 auto petrol one - and am now advertising my CR-V.

The iffy rear arches now have silicone rubber forming a slant over the welded flanges too and resprayed. There are plastic dummy arch covers available for them if they get too bad.

I'd looked under a few and was appalled at the amount of rust I could see and can only assume some were undersealed and some not. Mine is, and very clear of rust apart from the arch welds, and I've had a good poke about in the rear spring tunnels too - well solid.

Even with 212K miles on the clock the drive is very refined and it will take me a long time to learn the 'legal road speed feel' again because I keep finding I'm driving much faster than I thought I was. The little wife currently uses a cushion but the seat fixings look like they can easily have spacers fitted. They are perfect for a big or long legged bloke - I kept knocking my knees on the CR-V dash getting into it because of the short front doors. Steering wheel is height but not reach adjustable.

Long front doors - lamping or NV off the door mirror bracket is brilliant once you fit something in the gap to raise the fore stock to a usable height, a thick jumper wrapped around it does the job. The sunroof is large and forwards enough to use comfortably from the rear footwell while a buddy is lamping or NV too, and they can speak softly to the driver. Will also be great for a roof lamp or spotter. The dash is also great for placing a rifle across it. The petrol is a bit precious but its so quiet it gets me easily within FAC air range of bunnies.