A speeding question for the naughty boys - Got laser vanned on the M4

Mungler

I`ve got a squeeky clean license and have done so for 20 odd years. I have been a naughty boy though. I ride a motorcycle and have done 120, 130 on the way to Brands Hatch, Donington etc. Its just a case of switching on and slowing for bridges and slip roads where they park up on the blind side. Also where its on sunday mornings theres not much traffic about so police cars marked or otherwise stand out. At other times dont be the fastest vehicle out there and use lane discipline. Let the ***** in their Porche Boxsters and big beemers get noticed. :blush:

My old chap always used to lecture me and my brother about tearing about on our bikes but funnily enough it was him in his old van that got caught ;)

Returning to the question; fixed penalty. Minimal effort on their part. Money in the bank, move onto the next. Taxation at its simplest.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

heres an idea, tell them you arnt sure who was driving the vehicle at tha time and ask for photographic evidence. they either wont have any or it will be hard to make out. then they wont be able to do anything to anyone. in theory. i know people who have done this before and it worked

1. It's the missus' car - well there are some very high curbs to bump up at the local school

2. The photos are excellent - there are a set of 5 and that is the 1st one, the other 4 are very clear - I should have waived

3. I think it's Wiltshire Constab.

The worst thing is when they insist you go to court, it has to be in the area where you were done.

I got cuaght for 102 on the M54, and it was about a month before I planned to leave the country for a couple of years.

The kept writing to me asking me to attend court and kept on replying to them telling them to just deal with it in my absence.

They couldn't seem to accept the fact I didn't want to drive 400 mile round trip for my ten minutes in court (and then be driven home by someone else)

This dragged on for months and months, eventually they gave in, and dealt with my case in my absence - they wrote to me to inform me I got a 14 day ban - big wows. :blush:

I was abroad by then and using an international driving licence anyway so it had no affect on me whatsoever.

Apart from fact it would be painfull to speed in my current car, I only ever do about 80 on motorways these days, it takes the stress out of looking out for camera's and unmarked cars etc, which can be a bit wearing on 450 mile trips...

Surpried it wasn't the M42 - one section has cameras every 100m. mostly expect traps on M & T roads. I have thought this one out and all I can come up with is drive like a robot, with wife & son looking for cameras on M roads. Most seem to try their speed on windy B-roads - road safety.

I have sweated a few times but lucky to date. One chap got nicked and got his revenge as he drives a truck with a HIAB arm, he drives alongside & uses the grab to extract the camera puts it on his truck, and takes it back to his yard where next door is a scrap yard - he swings the cameras( yep he has extracted loads of them) over the fence and into a car crusher & drops an old car on top so they don't notice - its a mystery where they all go!!

they have recently changed the law regarding the placement of mobile traps i believe and they are now employing a technique that im yet to see, of putting mobile traps after fixed camera's to catch those people who speed up straight after the fixed camera (we are all guilty of this on our daily commutes) but even worse than this ive heard that they then put another mobile trap to catch the people who speed up after the mobile trap after the fixed trap :blush:

they really arnt a nice bunch, thankfully ive only got a unwritten warning so far and tbh i got off very lightly with that, speeding isnt worth it these days, unfortunatly its difficult not to when every piece of traffic is going 75-80

Nick's spot on there, I was on the A1 Barnet by pass at Borehamwood recently when I noticed one in a lay-by directly opposite a fixed Gatso in the central reservation that had been turned around to cover those on the opposite carriageway.

Moral of the story, keep a careful eye open for white vans in lay-bys, on verges or overbridges, if you're on the ball you should be able to spot them before they can gun you.

And Mungler, if you're going down to Southdown on Sunday, watch out on the A24, they're pretty hot there, I'm told they even use helicopters to catch people between fixed Truvelo points, (those odd little white squares you see painted on the road in pairs). :blush:

Cat.

I'm told they even use helicopters to catch people between fixed Truvelo points, (those odd little white squares you see painted on the road in pairs). :blush:

Those are fixed distance spots for use with VASCAR, nothing to do with truvelo.