Boiler up the creek.

dead eye alan

My boilers given up the ghost at last, so a couple of questions for the PW massive.

1/ how do i know how big a boiler i need. (24/28/33/40)

2/ how can you fit a combi boiler on an inside wall.

3/ how much should i be paying for supply and fit. ( my existing boiler is old style with storage tank )

4/ is there a Watch member that can do this for me.

Many thanks in anticipation.

If we go with your boiler being beyond economic repair, there are various ways to look at what size is needed for replacement;

Firstly - was the previous boiler undersized (i.e struggled to get radiators all hot in cold weather), or oversized (cycled a lot and never seemed to work hard), or 'probably about right'?

Secondly - you can measure the sizes of the radiators and look up how many KW each can require - add up the total

Thirdly you can look at the house as a whole (there are free on line tools to do this) and calculate the approximate KW needs

Fourthly you can look at each room individually and calculate needs on a 'rooom by room' basis; this is usually done when having a new system, not just a boiler.

Combis (or any boiler) can be had that have vertical flues through either an existing chimney or up through the roof, but any installer would need to take a good look as there are rules on location of flue exits etc and their proximity to windows, vents etc.

Once you have the boiler size determined, you can look up prices on line, but installation costs will depend on how much work is needed to install it.

Give more detail about the system that you have now. Who has decided that it isn't a small repair. It's a big shell out for a new boiler and then to find out that a fuse had blown or similar.

Funny you should say that. While working offshore our huge 250 ton lift Manitowoc crane stopped working .... would not slew left or right .. jib up or down. Now on board we had this six month trained engineer who convinced the bosses that the gearbox had to come out for repair. I asked if they had taken an oil sample to check for contamination or debris. They informed me that this would not be necessary as Malcom had already told them what had to be done. Now all you heavy lift crane operators out there will know what this work entails, and so the work began. I Myself walked around to the control cab and switched on ...... Nothing ... walked back to where they had just started dismantling, and opened up the fuse box. Guess what I replaced a blown fuse and it was all systems go again. Now just think of the Man hours ...down time ... possible loss of the weather window and all because some people never look for the simple things first.

Funny you should say that. While working offshore our huge 250 ton lift Manitowoc crane stopped working .... would not slew left or right .. jib up or down. Now on board we had this six month trained engineer who convinced the bosses that the gearbox had to come out for repair. I asked if they had taken an oil sample to check for contamination or debris. They informed me that this would not be necessary as Malcom had already told them what had to be done. Now all you heavy lift crane operators out there will know what this work entails, and so the work began. I Myself walked around to the control cab and switched on ...... Nothing ... walked back to where they had just started dismantling, and opened up the fuse box. Guess what I replaced a blown fuse and it was all systems go again. Now just think of the Man hours ...down time ... possible loss of the weather window and all because some people never look for the simple things first.

To be more specific it was the Torque Converter they were about to remove.

My old man has a 3 bed property over two stories with 11 rads and just got a new Bosch Worcester combo boiler supply, fit, care package with warranty for 10 years and they are doing a full system clean "each rad cleaned internally" magna waste fitted and all the chemicals for around £1700

Edited by Lord Geordie

My old man has a 3 bed property over two stories with 11 rads and just got a new Bosch Worcester combo boiler supply, fit, care package with warranty for 10 years and they are doing a full system clean "each rad cleaned internally" magna waste fitted and all the chemicals for around £1700

hello, now that is a very good deal

Flushing the heating system before installing new boiler is a must. Manufactuter requirement. Get the magnetic filter isntalled together with a new boiler. Sizing? depends how old property is ( insulation) and is it one or two floor. Roughly you need 100 watts per square meter downstairs and 80 watts per square meter upstairs. would be good to check the radiators as well- seems you have old vented system so no inhibitor in rads and pipework= black sludge . If radiators are older than 15-20 yrs better to replace them.

So typical combi 24kw is enough for most small and medium houses. Hot water demand is other thing. 24-28kw can provide 10-12 liters per minute. If you need more then worcester- bosch. Many models up to 17-20 L per minute.

Price depends on many things. Amount of local gas engineers, greediness, how difficult job is etc. This is a lot of work- installing new boiler, new pipes for hot and cold to the boiler, new waste pipe for condensate ( pump might be necessary), removal of old existing tanks in the loft, hot wter cylinder, old pump and motorised valves. Decent boilers price starts at around 800 pounds till 1700. Labour I would say 1200-1500, so 2-3 grand in total . If new rads needed - plus 450-600 for rads and 200-300 labour. (if we are talking about 6-8 rads).

Did he borrow one of your shooters to get that price?! Seriously though if you could PM me the companies details i'm not a million miles away (assuming your dad lives in the NE too) and will need my boiler and heating system changed in the next couple of years :good:

It depends on the suitability of the boiler location. There are some pretty tight restrictions on where and how flues can be run. You will almost certainly need a new gas supply from the meter, powerflush, new room stat, thermostatic rad valves fitted etc to bring the installation up to current building regs. You're in the south east, so don't imagine you're going to be paying anywhere near the £1700 quoted above, that barely buys the parts! I would imagine you'll be north of £4k, how far north depends on the boiler position and the flueing.

I bet that you had a big thank you bonus in your pay at the end of the month. unless Malc recieved it by mistake. :hmm:

Did he borrow one of your shooters to get that price?! Seriously though if you could PM me the companies details i'm not a million miles away (assuming your dad lives in the NE too) and will need my boiler and heating system changed in the next couple of years :good:

The company was 0800 repair!

That W-bosch for 1700 was like for like swap I presume.

The current boiler is an "not" IDEAL combi that has been a pain in the *** since it's installation

That W-bosch for 1700 was like for like swap I presume.

Must have been one of the lower speccd ones.!!

The wb cdi classic that I'm on with at the moment retails at trade 1300quid plus vat! Plus clock etc !

A basic combi to combi swap I do is usually £2000. That's a wb 29cdi classic and basic time clock. A system swap conventional boiler to combi is from £2500 upwards depending on things like gas pipework, condense pipework etc.

The job needs to be seen as there are so many variables.

Edited by Del T

Must have been one of the lower speccd ones.!!

The wb cdi classic that I'm on with at the moment retails at trade 1300quid plus vat! Plus clock etc !

A basic combi to combi swap I do is usually £2000. That's a wb 29cdi classic and basic time clock. A system swap conventional boiler to combi is from £2500 upwards depending on things like gas pipework, condense pipework etc.

The job needs to be seen as there are so many variables.

It's a Worcester Bosch green star 25i

W-Bosch is the best on the market.i have the green star j28i.had this one 5yr no trouble at all .

Had the same in other house before I moved.the people who bought the house have had no trouble withandthstis10yr old .

Ideal are ****.so are baxi