English Open at Hodnet

MITCHF

One day Dave, when I stop nannying about and actually concentrate.

This is my 4th sporting shoot this year, but only the second one that I have not setup and been loading and fixing traps as I go round. I have setup more registered shoots this year than I have actually shot !!

Hodnet is a special place, no commercial ground in Scotland could throw the variation of targets that are possible there. It is a small piece of ground, but they use it really well.

Have you been to Westlands ground near Aanan dumfries .wow they have built that ground up .a great day out .we go every couple of months .its 180 miles round trip but we make a day of it.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you been to Westlands ground near Aanan dumfries .wow they have built that ground up .a great day out .we go every couple of months .its 180 miles round trip but we make a day of it.

I've not been to Westlands yet, don't think they have put on a registered competition so far.

We have lots of grounds in Scotland with great topography, but Hodnet is a super place. Built up over many years and they use the space very well.

Tom the owner has a good eye and imagination, On stand 2 of the BO you shoot a going away bird through the crotch of a tree. It is a straightforward target, but made special by using the natural feature.

For those of you who didn't have the chance to shoot this comp, I would suggest a visit to the ground to shoot these targets. I believe Tom is leaving the same targets on and opening up the shoot to all comers to experience. If you go on The West Midlands Shooting Ground website it will give the details. I have been shooting for the past 25 years and consider this layout to be the best technical shoot ever. from Auntie.

Excellent booming by your mate Figgy, has that given him the outright lead?

I am sorry I didn't book myself in to shoot the sportrap as well in himdsight, but didn't want to push my luck in trying to shoot 220 targets and a trip there and back from Scotland all in 1 day.

He was leading it till Richard Faulds put a 94 in hour and half later. Two of our clubs juniors have made the final on Sunday too so beena good event.

The Sportrap was a very good shoot, some tough targets but nothing silly. Very very well ran, no delays in fact started twenty minutes early, no break downs or waiting for traps to be filled.

Well done and good luck to Sian for making the Sunday ladies finals :good:

Best ground I've shot.

Edited by figgy

I've not been to Westlands yet, don't think they have put on a registered competition so far.

We have lots of grounds in Scotland with great topography, but Hodnet is a super place. Built up over many years and they use the space very well.

Tom the owner has a good eye and imagination, On stand 2 of the BO you shoot a going away bird through the crotch of a tree. It is a straightforward target, but made special by using the natural feature.

Yes its a nice ground . But its a shame you can only shoot it on a tuesday evening. I go down to Shrewsbury quite a bit a beautiful area. Enjoy your stay.

He was leading it till Richard Faulds put a 94 in hour and half later. Two of our clubs juniors have made the final on Sunday too so beena good event.

The Sportrap was a very good shoot, some tough targets but nothing silly. Very very well ran, no delays in fact started twenty minutes early, no break downs or waiting for traps to be filled.

Well done and good luck to Sian for making the Sunday ladies finals :good:

Best ground I've shot.

Thank you, a very good shoot on such lovely ground. I was happy with how I shot and did well in the middle. Just a shame I lost 6 clays on the last two stands! I think I was starting to wain a bit, very long day.

Yes, very well done Sian and the best of luck on Sunday. If I see you there I will say hello.

Thank you and well done to you. See you there.

My verdict, for what it's worth, a very good shoot, well organised, it ran pretty well, we had only one breakdown on the stand up the top with the fast bird coming racing down the hill, followed by the pink teal on the left, they had to replace the cable and the guys that did it said it was the first breakdown they'd had over the whole competition, that speaks volumes about the professionalism of the ground..?

As to my score, well, I can honestly say that I have never ever started so badly at a major event, I missed 5 out of 8 on stand 1, I totally misread the left to right battue, the scorer later told me I was behind every one of them, I felt so bad after such an appalling start..! :/

But, I suppose I threw caution to the wind after that and managed to finish on a 105, so, it could have been a lot worse..! :whistling:

I must say that it was not the most exciting shoot I've ever shot there in terms of target quality, if I was to be hyper critical I'd have to say that there were no long crossers that the ground has put on so well in the past and which normally sorts the men from the boys, but, hey ho, even the close ones are easy for us mortals to miss..!! :yes:

Good luck to all who are going back for the final, I hope you all shoot well..! :good:

Cat.

Good report Catamong a bit shorter than some of your other shoot reports. I too noticed no real long high stuff we were expecting but that little orange looping left to right dropping one was a good way out if not a hard target to hit. But crikey some of the angles and topography beat me. That little white straight down one where you had a break down I missed all white in front first one and increased my lead on every one after and missed two pink teals one up the left and another over the top for 2. Completely miss read some targets coming off stand 9 with a 2 stand 10 with a score of 1 and stand 12 with a 3. Some stands I halted and thought that I was about the mark on them but dropped far too many single targets in last pairs etc losing nine or ten silly ones.

Edited by figgy

What was the deal with the target that had to be shot as a driven on some days and as you wished on others?

That will be the fast driven midi that to be honest you would need to be very flexible to to shoot it as a crosser Turing side on as the first clay was from your front left. I shot both from the same position of turned about 45degrees to it. Did hear the ref say it has to be taken as driven to someone before our sqaud when asked.

I purposely didn't ask and took them all as true crossers without being told off so i think it might have been a different ref as they were rotating refs quite a lot to keep them fresh. I hasten to add i never touched one of the driven but apart from that stand did quite well at the top of the course.

When we shot that stand on Saturday there was a notice on the cage saying that the report midi had to be shot as driven.

Apparently that sign was put there after day one when a good number of shooters were shooting it as a crosser / going away and the shot was falling on to the pool shoot area, so if you shot it that way on day one, it gave you a clear advantage, as it was a bitch to shoot driven, you simply couldn't miss that bird in front, it needed so much lead, I dropped 2 there, but Duane Morley on my squad, (who finished on a 110), didn't touch any of them.. :sad1:

Cat.

I missed two of the driven too, but off the line of it, it was to quick to adjust the line after I started moving. I did say to friends if I miss the first clay I'm giving it a second barrel. Luckily I never had to.

I thought the driven last time they held the comp was harder, think it was a Simmo pair or following pair iirc.

There is a video online of the British Open at English Sporting Clays, our very own Auntie, 100 miles away is in one shot outside the club house. Link. https://*************************.co.uk

Thank you Figgy. I enjoyed that .not sure if i saw Auntie.unless it was the lady with the brolly near the end .hope you all had a great time.

Edited by johnphilip

When we shot that stand on Saturday there was a notice on the cage saying that the report midi had to be shot as driven.

Apparently that sign was put there after day one when a good number of shooters were shooting it as a crosser / going away and the shot was falling on to the pool shoot area, so if you shot it that way on day one, it gave you a clear advantage, as it was a bitch to shoot driven, you simply couldn't miss that bird in front, it needed so much lead, I dropped 2 there, but Duane Morley on my squad, (who finished on a 110), didn't touch any of them.. :sad1:

Cat.

HI Cat, we shot it on Thursday but there was not a sign up then,otherwise i would have been a good girl. i knew i would never be quick enough to hit them as driven so i took the easy option but still missed them all. from Yer Auntie.

HI Cat, we shot it on Thursday but there was not a sign up then,otherwise i would have been a good girl. i knew i would never be quick enough to hit them as driven so i took the easy option but still missed them all. from Yer Auntie.

No sign Friday but was told to take them as driven and got 3 a miracle.

There was not a great deal of technique on that driven midi, pick the line, swing through hard, pull the trigger and hope to see it break. A splatty wad 9 was the load of choice with 2 kills.

On the Sunday they had a 70mm driven target, a very different animal as it started fast, but slowed quickly. Caught very many people out who gave it too much. I missed the first one in front and thankfully nailed the last 3.

A lot of muttering about the signage !

For those competitors who can read , it always said L to R Standard,followed by Driven Midi .

The referee wrote his sign out to make people aware of what they were required to do . The issue was , shot fall out when taken as a crosser falling out onto spectators shooting stand 6 off to the right.

Ed Lyons will be selling Pilla lenses that allow the users to read , I think they will be about £280 a lens ?