a lot of young birds

yickdaz

today we shot a farm very local farm about a mile as the crow flies from where I live and about this time of year the young birds appear in big numbers on it, and they follow the same flightlines year after year we were at the farm for about 1pm watched for while and set up near the flightlines for 2pm, started shooting right from the start it was great sport in the wind and we both dropped some real screamers, I shot one and just stood there with my mouth open watching it come down from a silly height really enjoyable 3 hrs we picked up 80 exactly about a 50/50 mix of adult and young birds, I,m not joking when I say we could of shot a lot more young birds we estimated about 30 if we wanted tothey were just coming in to the decoys for fun all session but let them fly for another day

post-21887-0-71403700-1504983692_thumb.jpg

Edited by yickdaz

Couldn't think of a better way to spend a Saturday afternoon , or any afternoon come to that , Well done, brilliant bit of shooting.

I found young birds were far and few between two or three weeks ago , now they out number the old ones , got just over 20 this afternoon before the heavy rain showers arrived and with the ones I shot during the week , I recon well over half were this years birds .

Couldn't think of a better way to spend a Saturday afternoon , or any afternoon come to that , Well done, brilliant bit of shooting.

I found young birds were far and few between two or three weeks ago , now they out number the old ones , got just over 20 this afternoon before the heavy rain showers arrived and with the ones I shot during the week , I recon well over half were this years birds .

September is usually the month you see the young birds come out the woodwork, we don't like shooting them just fluttering over the decoys its to easy, but if they present a sporting shot like a high driven or long crosser we shoot them and could of made a ton today with ease if we shot at everything that came in range

I am a bit less merciful when it comes to young pigeons. I will only let them go if an adult bird offers a better chance.

Good bag, Daz.

Honest Motty, I'm much the same and would never sit and watch them fluttering in and out of the decoys without firing!

Cracking bag Daz, nice number to shoot of an afternoon.

The weather has put pay to a few outings for me lately, annoying.

Edited by Wilts#Dave

Honest Motty, I'm much the same and would never sit and watch them fluttering in and out of the decoys without firing!

Cracking bag Daz, nice number to shoot of an afternoon.

The weather has put pay to a few outings for me lately, annoying.

its each to there own I don't look down on anyone wanting to shoot them we just choose to leave the very easy birds and try to pick out a decent shot

its each to there own I don't look down on anyone wanting to shoot them we just choose to leave the very easy birds and try to pick out a decent shot

I much prefer to shoot older birds as well, just can't resist taking easy shots when that's all I'm faced with. You're right it's not as satisfying, I prefer a more sporting shot too!

i packed up and went home friday because 20 of the first 22 i shot were young birds, just doesn't seem sporting when theres that many but each to there own

I agree , up to a point , just because they are young don't always mean they are easy , some yes but you can get some old ones that are also easy , although having said that , even the easy ones can still be missed . :yes: