Difficulty getting them to decoy

hatsanmad

Hi guys was out the other day on a wheat stubble set hide up and brushed it up using leaves and branches from the tree i was set up against set my deecs out 18 sportplast half shells on wobbly sticks when i arrived at the field there was a good number of pigeon feeding on the stubble so thought would be a good day had a good few birds come over but non would commit to the pattern played aroud and even brought some deecs in but no luck the hide blended in very well so i know it wasn't that. I tried a u shaped pattern a L shape what am I doing wrong?

Hi guys was out the other day on a wheat stubble set hide up and brushed it up using leaves and branches from the tree i was set up against set my deecs out 18 sportplast half shells on wobbly sticks when i arrived at the field there was a good number of pigeon feeding on the stubble so thought would be a good day had a good few birds come over but non would commit to the pattern played aroud and even brought some deecs in but no luck the hide blended in very well so i know it wasn't that. I tried a u shaped pattern a L shape what am I doing wrong?

It is highly likely that the answer is nothing. I've given up for the moment as my last 3 outings were 1, 1 and 0. OK, I wasn't expecting much - it was better than sitting indoors - as I'd already twigged what was going on. Had no problem over the winter sown stubble but because of the weather there was a full month before the spring lot was cut. In the meantime, much of it had gone down. Lowering the combine recovered much of it but still left a lot behind. Do a recce, yep, there they are, set up and there they're not, totally ignoring the decoys and heading off somewhere else. Oppo is having the same problem. We're going to hang slack until the plough has moved in reducing the choice of fields available to them and hopefully concentrating them in to the remainder.

Sometimes pigeons can be very hard to decoy no matter what you do.

I suspect the pigeons you saw may not have really wanted to be on your field. Seeing pigeons on a field the day before is no guarantee of success. You have to see where they are coming from and how they are getting there. Think also why are they there.

If possible,try using dead birds.I don`t even bother with shells etc now after having a few outings last year as you describe.We`ve been using real ones exclusively this year and what pigeons are about have decoyed pretty well. Normally start with 10 frozen birds on cradles ,then add shot birds to them.

Hth.

Edited by matone

I started out with a magnet yesterday and the birds didn't want to know so I changed to a turboflapper with a remote control from the hide to just give them a couple of wing beats as I spotted them in the distance, then stillness. They all came in to some extent to this. I was happy to leave a couple of hours later with 39. Just got to find out what will grab their attention.

I started out with a magnet yesterday and the birds didn't want to know so I changed to a turboflapper with a remote control from the hide to just give them a couple of wing beats as I spotted them in the distance, then stillness. They all came in to some extent to this. I was happy to leave a couple of hours later with 39. Just got to find out what will grab their attention.

Thanks for posting. As it's so deadly quiet I've not had chance to try this yet (no dead birds). Just bought a remote on/off which I've wired up in parallel as I have two flappers intending to try just as you describe but keeping the individual timers in play. Good to hear that it works.

Thanks for posting. As it's so deadly quiet I've not had chance to try this yet (no dead birds). Just bought a remote on/off which I've wired up in parallel as I have two flappers intending to try just as you describe but keeping the individual timers in play. Good to hear that it works.

Works like a charm but don't forget to unwrap the wire aerial inside the box and put it outside or the signal wont work as well. I found mine doesn't work with the intermittent timers, don't know why, so I just push the button as required?

Works like a charm but don't forget to unwrap the wire aerial inside the box and put it outside or the signal wont work as well. I found mine doesn't work with the intermittent timers, don't know why, so I just push the button as required?

Mine are OK with the timers. The only thing I've noticed is that the OFF doesn't have the range of the ON. Open to all suggestions, but my plan was to leave them on and then OFF as the birds came into the circuit as it were.

Mine are OK with the timers. The only thing I've noticed is that the OFF doesn't have the range of the ON. Open to all suggestions, but my plan was to leave them on and then OFF as the birds came into the circuit as it were.

That was my plan too but I'm happy as is. Can't be too fussy at this game, as long as I get some action :good:

Here's a tip. I connect mine to a long wire wound up in an old extension cable holder. I have it connect at other end to a push button for a door bell.

It's brilliant. You can hold for continuous flapping or give it a quick push for a small single flap.

Ding dong. Pigeon at the door. So to speak.

Oh, and I can also run two flappers of it at once.

Edited by Dr D

Here's a tip. I connect mine to a long wire wound up in an old extension cable holder. I have it connect at other end to a push button for a door bell.

It's brilliant. You can hold for continuous flapping or give it a quick push for a small single flap.

Ding dong. Pigeon at the door. So to speak.

Oh, and I can also run two flappers of it at once.

Cables running out the hide are a pain, tried that didn't like it one bit.