Found some eventually.

Clodhopper

New to the forum, so here goes my first attempt at writing up a days sport.

Giles (shooting buddy) and I headed out at 11am full of anticipation, hoping to find pigeons on some recently cut beans. I had observed pigeons feeding on the beans prior to the being cut. Upon arrival there was not a bird in sight despite the field being littered with beans. After watching for an hour we decided to look elsewhere.

Not too far away we found a wheat stubble with about 100 feeding but not many joining, plus we were unable to shoot this field. After another tour of the area we returned to the stubble to find more had joined. A quick visit to the farmer who owned the field adjacent to the stubble and we were on.

Experience told us the pigeons were likely to flight in along a ditch bordered by tall willows so we put some FUDS out in the hope we could just draw them near enough for a shot or 2. This plan started to work, after adding a flapper and magnet as we shot birds they really started to come nicely. We opted not to use a hide but simply stood in a thick hedge 30 yards apart.

We had steady shooting until 5 pm when we had to pack up. We thought we had about 50_down but were pleasantly surprised to pick 61.

Not only did i enjoy my own sport, it was pleasing to watch Giles take some great shots as the birds crossed the tops of the willows to our left.

Incidentally a little over half of the bag were young birds which i guess is average for this time of year.