Finding an inert electrical cable.

mick miller

Man shed, well actually in this case, woman shed issues. Despite my somewhat rushed diagram showing where all the cables should be (going well up till now), I cut an opening in the ceiling where the cable should be only to reveal a noggin and a lump of kingspan.

So, as the electrics aren't live yet and the wandering wire isn't live either, my question is will one of those £12.99 stud/metal/AC cable detectors find the wire if just set to metal? Otherwise I'll have to cut more holes and do more patching and filling (reluctantly) as it's all plastered, painted and looking lovely.

Advice from the pw masses please.

I'm a chippy and use one of these stud finder things, they work better with current flowing through the cable. Ie plug a radio or drill into the outlet. There ok but fail miserably near Kingspan as it has a metal foil on both sides. The expensive ones are no more accurate. You might try hooking it out with a bent piece of wire. Go fishing?

Tone generator,

Know any one in BT/Open reach? I can send you one to borrow. Basically used to find dead cables. Tone generator applied to one end of cable, then a probe "listens" for the other end or any part in between. It has short range but usually works ok,

RS

Okay, the tone generator seems the best suggestion as the hole is patched and the electrics ate not connected.

I've used tone generators at work and they do work at a close range, ie probe almost touching the cable, if you can borrow one off rockyspears then it is worth a shot, but personally I wouldn't go and buy one, failing that I find at work that if you drill a hole big enough to get you phone camera up where the fitting is going and do some recording with the flash on and then fish the cable works best, but this will only work if the excess is coiled with tape not a cable tie. Good luck