Price of carts

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What shot size are they and where are you getting them from at that price?

From a localish gun shop to me,i did a quick search through the local shops cart lists on the net,it didn't specify shot size but they are listed as clay shells so I would imagine 7-71/2s but hey if they kill clean at sensible ranges who am I to argue at them prices.

I can buy 3k steel for the same price as 2k lead and its mainly for corvid control at sensible decoying ranges so I guess its worth giving them a go at that price :good:

Lyalvale Express 12g English Sporter 28g, plaswad 7.5 @ £180 per 1000

Been using some of these from a local clay club and was impressed at how well they killed at 30+ yards (pigeons) have used them on blacks with a few runners.

Been thinking about trying some steel but could not find any that were much cheaper than the Lyalvale lead 7.5, people who are using steel seem to suggest going up a shot size, any thoughts on this?

Lyalvale Express 12g English Sporter 28g, plaswad 7.5 @ £180 per 1000

Been using some of these from a local clay club and was impressed at how well they killed at 30+ yards (pigeons) have used them on blacks with a few runners.

Been thinking about trying some steel but could not find any that were much cheaper than the Lyalvale lead 7.5, people who are using steel seem to suggest going up a shot size, any thoughts on this?

Have a read of

"advice on steel shot please" in General shooting matters, post 11, paragraph starting with a "keeper friend of mine" you might find it interesting with regard of your shot going up suggestion :good:

PC, have you used steel in the past? and if so how do you rate them?

Not yet, but with 1K of frozen pigeons I'm looking for a different outlet. Bunny_ Blaster has been using 32gram 5s and he says up to forty yards OK after that not hard hitting, in fact shot will drop out of feathers when you pick them up due to none penetration.

Currently have 3K of deprimed cases in the man cave and looking to reload subsonic and possibly steel during the long cold winter nights but not sure of recipes so I do not blow my head off. Bought the Shotshell Reloading Handbook and I'm more confused than before, I need to tip toe into the " Darkside"

Seeing what components cost abroad powder cost abroad and what we have to pay here, it is clear the cartridge companies are turning a profit as well they are entitled too.

The clay grounds are struggling people are not as active as they were in years gone by.

Reloading unless you have stock in hand already which wont last forever you have to base your reloaded ammo on what components cost, and with the current reloading suppliers offering components at the prices they are now, little if any saving can be made, buying is the most practical option .

Loading 20 bore or 28 bore .410 you could save some money but 12s in clay loads you can not make them pay.

Using allternative steel shot or making your own lead shot or reclaimed lead if you can find it can trim a little off but powder is killing reloading normal 12bore loadings steel or lead.

I have started loading 20 bore for pigeons in steel it is proving economical and a plus is all i can kill i have a hawker will take them if shot with steel.

Cartridge companies are being short sighted i feel they are pricing themselves out of business this is clear to see when you look at continental prices compared to ours here.

I’ve noticed clay grounds are a lot quieter than last year. I don’t shoot even half as much as in years past. When the costs go up to the point where you think this now expensive your less inclined to go and shoot clays. Especially if you shoot game or pigeons etc.

I remember when manufacturers brought out 24 and 28 gram steel loads for clays at least 25% cheaper than cheap lead carts it kept people shooting. Now I can’t think of a clay ground that allows steel shot.

Gamebore Black Gold 28g fibre no 6.5 £270

Gamebore Black Gold Game 28g fibre no 6 £310

Now someone is extracting the urine ????

Why the price difference?

£40 difference for 10 thou different in pellet diameter????

Oh ! Of course I should have realised , " Each number 6 pellet is individually hand picked and rolled on the thigh of a slapper from Hull."

Ian

It is the "GAME" Season, consequently the price of appropriately named shells will rise so that the shooters in search of cartridges for those "HIGH" birds will pay the premium. :rolleyes:

The rest of us that know what happens every year buy our shells way before this annual silliness starts. :good:

You usually can’t buy black gold or dark storm fiber clay carts in 7or 6 1/2 any time near the game season so they sell more expensive game carts.

We all know 28 gram of lead is 28 gram of lead regardless of shot size but they charge more for it in a game cart.

28g of lead is 28g of lead figgy your absolutely correct mate,but the fancy printing on the cartridge and box must justify the price hike to them lol

And just remember the more you spend on cartridges the better shot you become lol.

Edited by Bluebarrels

Last time I brought some cartridges the guy behind the counter said "sorry mate they have gone up again"....why's that I asked...."price of lead mate" just recently someone told me the latest increase is due to powder going up, so what's next, "sorry mate they have gone up again...price of plastic, sorry"

At this rate shooting will became a rich man only sport again.