squirrel control

Mice!

New perm starting yield results 5 Sunday morning in 2 hours. Put up a new feeder a week ago and that’s already being visited with 2 on it at any one time plus one monster one biggest I’ve ever seen 

IMG_4481.jpeg

Just now, sam triple said:

New perm starting yield results 5 Sunday morning in 2 hours. Put up a new feeder a week ago and that’s already being visited with 2 on it at any one time plus one monster one biggest I’ve ever seen 

IMG_4481.jpeg

Calling him Frankensquirrel 

IMG_4482.jpeg

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 14/01/2024 at 17:05, amateur said:

I only started shooting squirrels because I was fed up with their raiding our suburban garden bird table.

Over the years I have shot the low hundreds, but the satisfaction is in seeing the increase in songbirds in the garden and the now infrequency of squrrels

Spot on 👍

Screenshot_20240119-070159_Gallery.jpg.b4cb365e4ac2ea97ba186c4c1eef0344.jpg

Just what I want to see, this feeder was filled almost two weeks ago and I'm guessing this cold weather has drawn them in.

Screenshot_20240119-070441_XCWeather.jpg.9a678a9be6116c691f85a0822ff8269e.jpg

I've only got a couple of hours tomorrow morning so this is definitely not what I want to see, they may have to wait till Wednesday 😬

And they did wait 😁

I finished on 6 today, 3 within 5 minutes at first light, 2 in the afternoon and a final one at dusk.

There were a few appeared at sunset chasing around as well.

After the early 3 I found no more in that wood, or the next I went into, but despite the sun being out the wind was still gusting.

Screenshot_20240124-114313_Gallery.jpg.0178f23ac8123eb3b76ca28adbd2c984.jpg

Took this feeder down, I was going to repair it in the wood, but I found the lid hinge had seized when I went out Monday night so I left if open an inch or so, a squirrel sat on it today and it didn't move 😅😅 add that to the chewing and it can have some TLC

Screenshot_20240124-114302_Gallery.jpg.a8c72ae9f498178a65c67ca85bfd6f2a.jpg

The below picture, the floor was covered with wheat, but it's all gone now, the cold spell obviously meant that the squirrels were less fussy.

Screenshot_20240124-200429_Gallery.jpg.a9e47193fa14f49de461a4358777d40a.jpg

This shows the squirrels have ripped the DPM off so I know there there 😁

Screenshot_20240124-200352_Gallery.jpg.2f203c37840b6277f77eb636c0539ba9.jpg

Screenshot_20240124-200402_Gallery.jpg.24ac931b36fe2bf176d834d41938ee5a.jpg

I didn't take a pic of the third from this feeder,  it was going dark and I was packing up, but some big squirrels from here again.

Finally, today, back at a previously shot area.

Arrived at 9 ish to put out a feeder in a vile cold wind.  As I pulled up I had a quick scan around before getting out, Saw 5 pairs playing kiss chase on a 50yd long berm of timber set in a hillside. One fell at 35 yds to the S200 sub while leaning on the car. No recovery as didn't fancy a broken leg.

Feeder up, then along came an estate worker who set up cutting and burning 80yds away.

Ah well, all stopped, but good to be out.

I've had two good days this week,  I was out Wednesday and Thursday and they were two very different days.

I went out Tuesday night to check a feeder, I've shot nothing here since the 4th of November because there's been so little happening,  and it was the same again,  just a bit if feed gone with signs of squirrels and this fella.

Screenshot_20240130-222436_Gallery.jpg.ec96b9c69877e38fdc04aa7915c9df3d.jpg

He wasn't bothered by me or the torch 😅

So despite the lack of activity I set up for morning.  I was back before daylight and under my brolley,  a Blackbird and a Robin could be seen but that was all. A cold end was blowing in from my left with the dangling strap from the feeder sitting at a lazy 30°

I gave it around an hour and a half but there was little to see, the birds didn't show till almost 9am so I was off.

Stopped at Mole Valley for supplies then off to the next wood,  the wind had dropped, I had stuff in the car to make adjustments to a feeder, but decided to walk a different section of this wood that I've not been in before and it really paid off. I was meeting a mate at 1pm to swap a feeder over so new I had a couple of hours, the only issue with this strip of wood is knowing you have to walk back on yourself, it's a steep slope on one side and the road on the other, but lots of Oak, Beech, Yew and Holly and it was the Yew and Holly the squirrels were mostly in, I managed 2 pairs which I was very happy with,  shooting up the slope, out the trees and a close one in a Holly Bush that thought it was hidden, not from the thermal. 

Screenshot_20240131-161638_Gallery.jpg.852acda7927e2c4a80fa3d098a1b5377.jpg

so off to meet my mate, that sorted I called at the new spot to check that feeder for morning,  only the forecast was spot on and it was tipping it down now, to the point I didn't want to get out the car.

but I got out and got wet, found the feed well down, but not gone, perfect,  added some more then did the other feeder down the lane, I didn't set up for morning because it was high winds all night, and I'd have soaked doing it, it rained fir about 4hrs solid.

Onto Thursday morning and I was up and out to a beautiful sunrise,  no wind, perfect. 

Carried my gear in and set up my brolley but hadn't btought a chair 🙈 went and got a cut log only to find it was a bit tall for the brolley but I made do.

10-15 minutes after setting up and the first squirrel showed up,  up onto the feeder only to be ambushed by a second,  quick scuffle and one is back at the feeder, it lifted the lid, took a nut and sat back, I lined it up and...

Missed 😳😳

I can't think when I last missed a shot off a feeder, I think I dropped the stock a fraction and went high?? The squirrel was off into the trees on the right,  but there was a second straight in,, and normal service resumed with three in 30 minutes. 

Screenshot_20240201-141809_Gallery.jpg.ae7c88bfd7f76043f0fde28a74e361c1.jpg

There were pheasant everywhere,  including what I first thought was a chicken,  but was a white hen, terrible picture but I had to get my gloves off and phone out.

Screenshot_20240201-141823_Gallery.jpg.996f4e2a9e7daff52e0c83553d5a1669.jpg

Didn't see any squirrels running through the tree tops this week but there was one mooching off to the right,  at least until a Jet went over and shook the end it was so low.

With that I went for a wander down the lane, spotted a pair in a Holly,  one took off doing zig zags while the other thought it was safe, wrong,  on my knees off the sticks and Whack.  I saw two others but they weren't playing ball so I moved back across to the main feeder, spent half an bird watching then packed up.

Screenshot_20240201-141742_Gallery.jpg.42b7e3a787e0a2b1cba71603cfa9d359.jpg

Another 4, 3 males and a female.

I stopped at the garage for a brew and pasty and was treated to a second fly by, this time two Jets came over low and loud, it looked like they were using the garage as a marker to turn, seriously loud and impressive.

cheers chaps 👍

4 hours ago, Mice! said:

I've had two good days this week,  I was out Wednesday and Thursday and they were two very different days.

I went out Tuesday night to check a feeder, I've shot nothing here since the 4th of November because there's been so little happening,  and it was the same again,  just a bit if feed gone with signs of squirrels and this fella.

Screenshot_20240130-222436_Gallery.jpg.ec96b9c69877e38fdc04aa7915c9df3d.jpg

He wasn't bothered by me or the torch 😅

So despite the lack of activity I set up for morning.  I was back before daylight and under my brolley,  a Blackbird and a Robin could be seen but that was all. A cold end was blowing in from my left with the dangling strap from the feeder sitting at a lazy 30°

I gave it around an hour and a half but there was little to see, the birds didn't show till almost 9am so I was off.

Stopped at Mole Valley for supplies then off to the next wood,  the wind had dropped, I had stuff in the car to make adjustments to a feeder, but decided to walk a different section of this wood that I've not been in before and it really paid off. I was meeting a mate at 1pm to swap a feeder over so new I had a couple of hours, the only issue with this strip of wood is knowing you have to walk back on yourself, it's a steep slope on one side and the road on the other, but lots of Oak, Beech, Yew and Holly and it was the Yew and Holly the squirrels were mostly in, I managed 2 pairs which I was very happy with,  shooting up the slope, out the trees and a close one in a Holly Bush that thought it was hidden, not from the thermal. 

Screenshot_20240131-161638_Gallery.jpg.852acda7927e2c4a80fa3d098a1b5377.jpg

so off to meet my mate, that sorted I called at the new spot to check that feeder for morning,  only the forecast was spot on and it was tipping it down now, to the point I didn't want to get out the car.

but I got out and got wet, found the feed well down, but not gone, perfect,  added some more then did the other feeder down the lane, I didn't set up for morning because it was high winds all night, and I'd have soaked doing it, it rained fir about 4hrs solid.

Onto Thursday morning and I was up and out to a beautiful sunrise,  no wind, perfect. 

Carried my gear in and set up my brolley but hadn't btought a chair 🙈 went and got a cut log only to find it was a bit tall for the brolley but I made do.

10-15 minutes after setting up and the first squirrel showed up,  up onto the feeder only to be ambushed by a second,  quick scuffle and one is back at the feeder, it lifted the lid, took a nut and sat back, I lined it up and...

Missed 😳😳

I can't think when I last missed a shot off a feeder, I think I dropped the stock a fraction and went high?? The squirrel was off into the trees on the right,  but there was a second straight in,, and normal service resumed with three in 30 minutes. 

Screenshot_20240201-141809_Gallery.jpg.ae7c88bfd7f76043f0fde28a74e361c1.jpg

There were pheasant everywhere,  including what I first thought was a chicken,  but was a white hen, terrible picture but I had to get my gloves off and phone out.

Screenshot_20240201-141823_Gallery.jpg.996f4e2a9e7daff52e0c83553d5a1669.jpg

Didn't see any squirrels running through the tree tops this week but there was one mooching off to the right,  at least until a Jet went over and shook the end it was so low.

With that I went for a wander down the lane, spotted a pair in a Holly,  one took off doing zig zags while the other thought it was safe, wrong,  on my knees off the sticks and Whack.  I saw two others but they weren't playing ball so I moved back across to the main feeder, spent half an bird watching then packed up.

Screenshot_20240201-141742_Gallery.jpg.42b7e3a787e0a2b1cba71603cfa9d359.jpg

Another 4, 3 males and a female.

I stopped at the garage for a brew and pasty and was treated to a second fly by, this time two Jets came over low and loud, it looked like they were using the garage as a marker to turn, seriously loud and impressive.

cheers chaps 👍

Brilliant bud.

• 2 weeks later...

Long time since I posted here but finally ventured out yesterday and managed 4 of the little blighters. Struggling with walking so getting to the feeders is exhausting and disappointing to find that the Hoppers are not really working as they should, I'm guessing a combination of natural food (Oak trees nearby) and wheat in the Hoppers (never, in my experience, a huge draw) is the issue. Spent 3 hours out then sat on a bench waiting for my lift and was forced to watch at least 10 of the little **** playing in the trees not more than 15 yards from me.

2 hours ago, sam triple said:

Back up old. Perm yesterday not been shot in nearly 9 months 

IMG_4552.jpeg

Well done 👏 

1 hour ago, bruno22rf said:

Long time since I posted here but finally ventured out yesterday and managed 4 of the little blighters. Struggling with walking so getting to the feeders is exhausting and disappointing to find that the Hoppers are not really working as they should, I'm guessing a combination of natural food (Oak trees nearby) and wheat in the Hoppers (never, in my experience, a huge draw) is the issue. Spent 3 hours out then sat on a bench waiting for my lift and was forced to watch at least 10 of the little **** playing in the trees not more than 15 yards from me.

You did well getting 4 if there's only wheat to draw them in, I don't care what anyone says wheat and maize just don't do it if there's other options. 

Glad you got out though 👍

3 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Well done 👏 

You did well getting 4 if there's only wheat to draw them in, I don't care what anyone says wheat and maize just don't do it if there's other options. 

In feeder wheat ,maize , sunflower seeds and a bit of ground aniseed just to spice it up a bit 

13 hours ago, London Best said:

Unless it’s wheat in your pheasant feeders, then you just can’t keep ‘em off it!

I've got lots of pheasants around my squirrel feeders 😅😅😅 they don't leave a scrap.

On 12/02/2024 at 20:33, Mice! said:

Well done 👏 

A public thank you Mice, you have been a rock for me over the last year or so, your posts have kept me entertained and feeling like I'm out there doing it. Any sport that brings like minded people together is, at the end of the day, more than the sum of it's parts when benefits go far beyond the sport itself. I appreciate every minute that you have spent with me and my woes. You, Sir, are a true gentleman.

Edited by bruno22rf

15 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

A public thank you Mice, you have been a rock for me over the last year or so, your posts have kept me entertained and feeling like I'm out there doing it. Any sport that brings like minded people together is, at the end of the day, more than the sum of it's parts when benefits go far beyond the sport itself. I appreciate every minute that you have spent with me and my woes. You, Sir, are a true gentleman.

Your welcome mate 👍 😀 

Well I got out again today,  but the weather was so bad this morning that I nearly didn't bother.  It was a real pea soup with a constant fine rain, so I knew everything was going to be soaked. 

I'd checked these feeders Monday night and the new feeder was only an inch or so down so not busy but used, the open feeders were hammered obviously, the whole area is full of birds at the moment which is great to see.

I concentrated on the lane today,  I've seen three there that have been giving me the run around,  so I parked down there and got my gear ready, then tucked up under the canopy out of the rain, this means shooting lefty, but with a PCP and sticks it doesn't really matter.

Almost straight away there was one at the feeder,  Pfft Whack number one down. I watched the birds and waited, scanned but the thermal was struggling today,  it showed up the squirrels and birds fine, but everything else was a blurr really,  and I kept have to wipe the eye piece and my scope.

I spotted one up behind the feeder, but it took a while to see it, then it was facing the wrong way,  I waited and it turned a touch giving me another lefty shot off the sticks and Whack number two was down. 

Screenshot_20240214-124355_Gallery.jpg.f3f2dd1d4bc864cc9f84675087e58550.jpg

Over to the wood then,  lots of birds and pheasants,  which are a damn pain, they leave nothing on the ground 🙄 I spotted a grey off to the right again but it was happy where it was, then I spotted one high up to the left, no idea how long it had been there, I had to move to get a clear shot but it didn't budge, a bit of hold under for the angle and a solid Whack knocked it out the tree onto the bulbs. 

Screenshot_20240214-124345_Gallery.jpg.3b040b36b5498329a0b4c644fec7d8d1.jpg

Happy with that.

Screenshot_20240214-124322_Gallery.jpg.1dfc38aaf3acd128b604ece69dc0da1f.jpg

The pheasants leave nothing on the ground except for the sunflower seed casings. 

I waited a while but nothing showed near the feeder or in the trees so I headed back, took a walk round the field and knocked another into a flooded ditch, that stayed there.

Back to the lane and there were pigeons all through the trees, and a small flock of Gold finches , they were invisible in the bad light, but glowed up in the thermal,  I wouldn't have seen them otherwise. 

I looked around and could make out something, at least Iin the thermal, took me a while but there was a squirrel flat on a bough, but I had to move around several times to get a shot.

Screenshot_20240214-124850_Gallery.jpg.420b15fcf491e1503389e03933bc4017.jpg

3 males and a female plus the one in the ditch, given how bad the weather was I was really happy with that. I could have carried on, but decided on an early bath as I'd have to strip and dry the gun.

Finally after a few blank visits.

Nothing for 2 hours then a crafty sneak out of long grass up to the feeder, a quick grab then down into the brash. Unfortunately for her a very white stomach gave her position away. The 410 xtra and AA field did the job, a through and through just above the shoulder joints at 30 yds.

Popped up to new perm last Sunday it check feeders bumped into owner , he then tried to give me £120 for my efforts so far , I refused to take it , he then said he would feel offended if I didn’t ! , eventually settled on £20 for a tin of pellets and put it down as a one off payment 

2 hours ago, sam triple said:

Popped up to new perm last Sunday it check feeders bumped into owner , he then tried to give me £120 for my efforts so far , I refused to take it , he then said he would feel offended if I didn’t ! , eventually settled on £20 for a tin of pellets and put it down as a one off payment 

Nice to know your being appreciated,  I'd have said buy a bag of nuts for the feeder, it's a win win 👍

39 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Nice to know your being appreciated,  I'd have said buy a bag of nuts for the feeder, it's a win win 👍

I could have done ,but asi don’t pay for the feed I use anyway ( left overs from mates grain /seed drier ) I thought a tin of hades would do 👍

I'm looking forward to getting back into the woods now the pheasant season has finished. There's a feeder to repair, and we're having a drey poking day soon. I wondered if anyone uses FAC-rated .25 cal on squirrels? Would limited pellet choice make it best to stick with .22? I presume .25 uses more air as well. 

1 hour ago, arjimlad said:

I'm looking forward to getting back into the woods now the pheasant season has finished. There's a feeder to repair, and we're having a drey poking day soon. I wondered if anyone uses FAC-rated .25 cal on squirrels? Would limited pellet choice make it best to stick with .22? I presume .25 uses more air as well. 

.25 pellets are dearer as well, but there will be lads using them, @Ultrastu uses a FAC in .25, and @villaman fella on the Agf makes his own slugs in .25, just depends on what you want to shoot with I'd guess.

I do use .25.fac but not on squirrels .

I dont take elevated shots (ie squirrels up trees ) as they just go right through them and keep going and going .a.25 is too heavy and when it eventually  comes down it will still have plenty enough energy  to do damage to what it hits .not safe .

A.177 fac is another thing entirely  .ideal use 8.4 grn jsbs and they act just like a sub 12 .177 when they come down .

I've taken squirrels out to 65 yds with mine  plenty enough energy  .and a flat flat trajectory  . Mine rock along at 970 fps .