20b hushpower

aga man

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, aga man said:

Can you recommend a good load in 20b for decoying with hushpower. I am aware you load your own so am interested in your opinion.

Well Gamebore Traditional Game 28 gram would be a good start but they aren't as quiet as my homeloads, or the Gamebore Hushpower cartridges (which I found to be pretty mediocre.) You will get different results using different guns because of the varying tubes, porting and baffles so you have to try it and see.  Thinking on it I have had pretty good results with Eley  CT 28gram fibre 7.5 that a very generous chap on here gave me a case of, but would choose a 6 given a choice, I don't think they are very fast on the chrono which is probably why they are quite quiet. I'm just recalling using them to shoot rape backed up to a cemetery hedge, they nailed some nice but not too distant birds.

I use 17grains of Vectan A0 and 30grams of 6 for my homeloads now with a Fiocchi 615 and a 16mm fibre wad and plastic obturator in a 70mm case.

Edited by sitsinhedges

Many thanks for that post sitsinhedges. I don't plan to load my own, but sense of direction is helpful, I don't expect to be shooting rangey birds and almost always decoy when it is windy if I can. I have some new permission in a noise sensitive area and might just be going to look at a hushy at the weekend so I will see about trying some loads you suggest.

Thanks again.

23 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

This is a field i shoot in summer .right on the edge of my town .the didmstance to the road behind my position is 100 yds and the main town is less than 500 yds away .

There is a burger van within 100 yds 

And no one complains or bothers me .

IMG_20171130_223033.jpg

I wouldn't worry about shooting from that position with any gun, unless it was 4am.

Well if you did then you wouldn't be invited by the owner to shoot it again .He lives about 80 yds from my shooting position in the houses to the north of the red dot .

He  specificaly askes for me to shoot cos he knows I use a hushpower .

Other people have been thrown off that field before for making too much noise with a 12b .

So as u see a hushpower can get you permissions that other guns cant .

Same field  in summer 

IMG_20170909_130914.jpg

2 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Well if you did then you wouldn't be invited by the owner to shoot it again .He lives about 80 yds from my shooting position in the houses to the north of the red dot .

He  specificaly askes for me to shoot cos he knows I use a hushpower .

Other people have been thrown off that field before for making too much noise with a 12b .

So as u see a hushpower can get you permissions that other guns cant .

Same field  in summer 

IMG_20170909_130914.jpg

Strange farmer!

Another consideration to having a ported barreld shot gun is . (I belive ) that the ports reduce muzzle velocity and hence power of the shot . (This helps with felt recoil ) but also reduces the maximum fall out  range of the shot .

Obviously a large no 4 will always  travel further than a no8. But if you have a field that say has a raod 300 yds away and you don't want your shot to land on it. Then choosing say a no7.5 through a ported barrel should see your shot land in less than 250 yds .

I've measured my fall out with different carts and I've found roughly the  following max distances  (in still air ) no7.5  235  yds 

No6 250 yds 

No5  275 yds 

Through my mossy. I'd guess that the same gun un ported would add 25 - 40 yds on this. 

Blimey that's some technical info. I'm just wondering which mate of yours stood 250 yards away, trying to catch falling shot? Seriously though, good shooting and good respect for land owners wishes. One of my perms is next to a cemetery, residents don't complain, but visitors may be freaked by a non moderated semi auto 12 bore blasting away; might add a few more cemetery customers.

Thanks very much .It was me who stood in the field as my mate shot .back turned obviously  .And walked back and forth till I felt I was in the middle of the falling shot pattern .hearing the shot fall all around me .I never got hit by more than 1 pellet at any one time .the spread at 250 yds is massive .Probably 15 + yds wide .? With only just enough energy to feel a slight tap on the back .

This is stuff you should know before you go shooting .how far doesyour shot travel ? As you break the law if it leaves your boundary . One of my best mates is a police officer .And he had to arrest a shooter after complaints his shot was dropping on a caravan park .

On ‎01‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 10:12, Ultrastu said:

It's a well known fact that virtually all carts sound the same out of a hushpower mod .irrespective of whether they say they are sub sonic  or not .

subs are quieter than a standard shell in a husher, it stands to reason they will be with a lot less velocity, a standard is running at around 1300 1400 fps  and a sub is about 1000 fps so it has to be quieter

1 hour ago, yickdaz said:

subs are quieter than a standard shell in a husher, it stands to reason they will be with a lot less velocity, a standard is running at around 1300 1400 fps  and a sub is about 1000 fps so it has to be quieter

Well most hushpower guns .have ported barrels .mine does  .And this reduces the energy and speed of a normal cart from around  1250 fps to about 1100 fps .which is borderline subsonic anyway .as has been said .millions of times before. I'm also so bored of repeating it .that pellets from a shot gun even if super sonic have such a low bc that the sonic crack is so short lived in flight that its over before you have had chance to hear it .consequently the noise from a shot gun is all to do with the boom from the explosion and not any sonic crack at all. If you reduce the powder you reduce the boom .the sonic element has naff all to do with it .

Yes a low powder cart will make a bit less noise than a high pressure cart .making faster speeds cos they use more powder .

But walk 30 plus yards away from both and they sound the same .

Now  I expect could make such a  weak crappy load that kills nowt and it would be a bit  quieter than a factory load .

But why would you ? 

If you buy factory loads .dont be fooled they all sound the same sonic /sub sonic .

Reduce the boom through a moderator .And they all sound quieter .

4 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Well most hushpower guns .have ported barrels .mine does  .And this reduces the energy and speed of a normal cart from around  1250 fps to about 1100 fps .which is borderline subsonic anyway .as has been said .millions of times before. I'm also so bored of repeating it .that pellets from a shot gun even if super sonic have such a low bc that the sonic crack is so short lived in flight that its over before you have had chance to hear it .consequently the noise from a shot gun is all to do with the boom from the explosion and not any sonic crack at all. If you reduce the powder you reduce the boom .the sonic element has naff all to do with it .

Yes a low powder cart will make a bit less noise than a high pressure cart .making faster speeds cos they use more powder .

But walk 30 plus yards away from both and they sound the same .

Now  I expect could make such a  weak crappy load that kills nowt and it would be a bit  quieter than a factory load .

But why would you ? 

If you buy factory loads .dont be fooled they all sound the same sonic /sub sonic .

Reduce the boom through a moderator .And they all sound quieter .

all to technical for me to be honest, but I have used both and subs are a little quieter than standard shells that's my opinion anyway,

I only use standard carts anyhow in mine

21 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Thanks very much .It was me who stood in the field as my mate shot .back turned obviously  .And walked back and forth till I felt I was in the middle of the falling shot pattern .hearing the shot fall all around me .I never got hit by more than 1 pellet at any one time .the spread at 250 yds is massive .Probably 15 + yds wide .? With only just enough energy to feel a slight tap on the back .

This is stuff you should know before you go shooting .how far doesyour shot travel ? As you break the law if it leaves your boundary . One of my best mates is a police officer .And he had to arrest a shooter after complaints his shot was dropping on a caravan park .

Shot leaving a boundary is not breaking the law.

Well, after going for a look at a Mossberg 20b this morning, the inevitable happened and the gun came home with me.

Probably the ugliest, strangest thing I ever fired.

But, I took it up the field tonight and patterned some cartridges. At 35yards the gun threw some decent patterns and pigeons going onto some rape 2 fields away were simply not bothered by the shot despite it being a still calm afternoon.

Once I figured where the gun was firing I found 24gm 7.5 cartridges were throwing decent patterns and penetrating double thickness cardboard and into the tree bark, which says to me the gun will kill pigeons with this load at 35yds:good:

I also bought some hull high pheasant 28gm 6 but at £8 odd a box I may have find an alternative. I think me and the hushpower will get on well once I have got to grips with it.

Thanks for all the advice here and a big thanks to those who sent me Pm, you know who are. Thanks guys.

20171203_144243.jpg

20171203_162544.jpg

2 hours ago, aga man said:

Well, after going for a look at a Mossberg 20b this morning, the inevitable happened and the gun came home with me.

Probably the ugliest, strangest thing I ever fired.

But, I took it up the field tonight and patterned some cartridges. At 35yards the gun threw some decent patterns and pigeons going onto some rape 2 fields away were simply not bothered by the shot despite it being a still calm afternoon.

Once I figured where the gun was firing I found 24gm 7.5 cartridges were throwing decent patterns and penetrating double thickness cardboard and into the tree bark, which says to me the gun will kill pigeons with this load at 35yds:good:

I also bought some hull high pheasant 28gm 6 but at £8 odd a box I may have find an alternative. I think me and the hushpower will get on well once I have got to grips with it.

Thanks for all the advice here and a big thanks to those who sent me Pm, you know who are. Thanks guys.

20171203_144243.jpg

20171203_162544.jpg

so you did it then, nothing ugly about that looks just like mine :good: