Peanut butter & rats

Walker570

Have seen a couple of situations in the USA where guys have taken a pot of peanut butter, unscrewed the cap and then screwed that to a tree. Cut a smallish hole in the bottom of the jar so the deer can lick at it. Screwed the  jar back on the lid so it sort of lays on it's side.

NOW, I am wondering if this would work with rats ?       Find a place where rats are transiting/feeding. Get a chunk of wood, piece of old railway sleeper or such and lean it up and screw the jar of peanut butter to that where the rats can get at it.  Even shove a few pea nuts into the butter as well. Worth a try ??  Has anyone done it or similar already. Just get them where it is safe to shoot and they are stationary long enough for a kill shot.

I had a tub and a half of peanut butter, so this morning I mixed a couple of handfuls of the corn and seed we use on the bird feeders into it and stuffed two bricks which had three holes apiece, about 1 1/2 inch diameter. Just about to run up to the farm and set them up with a trail cam and see what turns up. Could be killing rats come Sunday night.

If successful the peanut butter sales at Aldi could be going up sharply:good:

Edited by Walker570

The key is whatever you are going to give the rats as a freebie start a few days before you are going to shoot. Cheap cat food sachets work well too - whenever I mention to my missus about an abundance of cat food she usually says the cat does not like this or that - fine - I will use as bait then - we have a fussy cat due to over feeding so a never ending supply of cat food - the rats don't seem fussy. S510 + Yukon = happy nights

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/12/2017 at 15:42, Walker570 said:

The yard is partially lit anyway so the rats are used to a half light.  Three well used holes and a run the length of the building into the maize silage.  I'm up there in the morning so will see if any visitors and top up, then probably shoot Sunday night if enough sign to show they have found it.

How did you get on buddy? 

Something I had a mind to do but never did is to use a garden solar light. Build a decent backstop and screw a decent sized jar lid to a piece of wood. Then fill the lid with some runny peanut butter diluted with veg oil.

They will get used to the light and no NV needed.

• 2 weeks later...

Cracking idea :good:,just been asked to visit our Pheasant feeders and deal with ratty.now i can illuminate without using a torch and as u say Toxo the little so n so,s will get used to it .Ive used runny dog food in the past as there,s nothing "solid" for them to leg it with