Torches

R6demon

Hi Guys, I have just built my NV unit with the help of another member for use on the .17 HMR, but I am using a cheap 'Carls Customs T20' IR torch that I picked up on ebay and the image isn't great on open fields (I live in Cambs).

Whats the general consensus on torches these days, can anyone recommend a good IR and Red torch that doesn't cost me a kidney?  Does anyone have a SH one taking up space.....?

Also, what batteries do you use, I have some Green Ultrafire DT 18650 8800mAh, again from ebay but they are getting tired I think.

Thank you!

Edited by R6demon

Ludicrous Lumens sell great IR torches (T38, T50 etc) but I have just tried a PBir (Paul Baker) torch and it's about the best. Paul can be contacted via Facebook. Be careful buying 18650 batteries, there's a lot of fakes about, all promising 'high power'. There are a few NV sites on Facebook that will advise you.

Thank you for the feedback guys.

The issue is also with weight as I have a bad back, looking at the T67 etc, they will add quite a bit of bulk to the gun......?

it sounds like a new torch will go on the shopping list for the NEC show in a couple of weeks, I just need to see them in the flesh to judge the weight!!

Ive seen quite a few mentions of a  3x42 or 4x50 sunnranger on the forum when searching this topic, but I can find out what they are or where to get them?  

41 minutes ago, cliveward said:

No need to replace the whole thing R6demon. Just stick a replacement T20 Ruby pill in it. It will be more than you need on a HMR. I use one on a .223.

Clear target definition at 10x out to 350-400 yards and easily see the backstop out to 600 with a digital add on.

Cheers

Clive

^^^^ this.

16 hours ago, cliveward said:

No need to replace the whole thing R6demon. Just stick a replacement T20 Ruby pill in it. It will be more than you need on a HMR. I use one on a .223.

Clear target definition at 10x out to 350-400 yards and easily see the backstop out to 600 with a digital add on.

Cheers

Clive

Do you mean one of these??

http://www.nightvisionstore.co.uk/black-sun-2-ir-pill-for-t20-c2x23877897

On ‎02‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 09:12, R6demon said:

Hi Guys, I have just built my NV unit with the help of another member for use on the .17 HMR, but I am using a cheap 'Carls Customs T20' IR torch that I picked up on ebay and the image isn't great on open fields (I live in Cambs).

Whats the general consensus on torches these days, can anyone recommend a good IR and Red torch that doesn't cost me a kidney?  Does anyone have a SH one taking up space.....?

Also, what batteries do you use, I have some Green Ultrafire DT 18650 8800mAh, again from ebay but they are getting tired I think.

Thank you!

got a pbir x for sale £85 posted

7 hours ago, rangey said:

Pm sent Rangey!

6 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, if you have an old lap top computer the battery pack should be 8 18650s i got 6 good ones from mine, also if anyone you know uses a smoking inhaler thingy they use the same battery i got 6 off a fishing club member.

Great tip thank you!!

On 04/02/2018 at 08:38, rangey said:

Pm sent Rangey!

On 04/02/2018 at 10:05, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, if you have an old lap top computer the battery pack should be 8 18650s i got 6 good ones from mine, also if anyone you know uses a smoking inhaler thingy they use the same battery i got 6 off a fishing club member.

Great tip thank you!!

Guys just to close this out, I bought the PBiR-X from Rangey and WOW what a difference!! It’s small light and I can clearly see out passed 400yds with my home brew NV kit. 

I also bought a couple of these batteries batteries which ran all night without any issues

https://ecoluxshopdirect.co.uk/battery-charger/18650-button-top-high-drain-battery/ampsplus-18650-3500mah-10a-button-battery.html

AMPS+5

gives you a 10% discount! :)

im very pleased with the new set up, thank you for your help!

Now to find a decent red pill for thenold T20 for spotting them!!  Any suggestions??

5 hours ago, R6demon said:

Guys just to close this out, I bought the PBiR-X from Rangey and WOW what a difference!! It’s small light and I can clearly see out passed 400yds with my home brew NV kit. 

I also bought a couple of these batteries batteries which ran all night without any issues

https://ecoluxshopdirect.co.uk/battery-charger/18650-button-top-high-drain-battery/ampsplus-18650-3500mah-10a-button-battery.html

AMPS+5

gives you a 10% discount! :)

im very pleased with the new set up, thank you for your help!

Now to find a decent red pill for thenold T20 for spotting them!!  Any suggestions??

You could try Ludicrous Lumens for an 'AS' red pil. These are quite powerful.

I’ve tried to shop at LL a couple of times steve but the outage always kills it, £6 something, regardless of what you have. I’ve contact them a couple of times but they say that’s what they charge :( when I can send a parcel for a couple of quid these days it seems excessive :(

Edited by R6demon

15 minutes ago, R6demon said:

I’ve tried to shop at LL a couple of times steve but the outage always kills it, £6 something, regardless of what you have. I’ve contact them a couple of times but they say that’s what they charge :( when I can send a parcel for a couple of quid these days it seems excessive :(

I agree with you. Didn't realise about the pp. You could try the Torch Factory, (they are on Facebook too) they sell pils for the T20 etc.