"im mainly (at it again)"

ditchman

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Now that is very nice.  Is the rams horn just a spacer or a 'ferule'. Whatever, it works well.

The rams horn is a spacer Walker, I have another stick head in bog yew, thats more of a chocolate colour. I better get off his post before i get a roasting. :lol:

43 minutes ago, la bala said:

The rams horn is a spacer Walker, I have another stick head in bog yew, thats more of a chocolate colour. I better get off his post before i get a roasting. :lol:

feel free nothing is happening here at the moment................if you get enough bog oak you can put it on a lathe and carve yerslf a new diff for the landrover...:lol::lol::lol::lol:

45 minutes ago, ditchman said:

feel free nothing is happening here at the moment................if you get enough bog oak you can put it on a lathe and carve yerslf a new diff for the landrover...

Love it .it does turn nice .but can be a bit sort of little holes in it . Not sure how else to call it ..hell few years ago i  was going to make the wife a nice penny whistle out of a piece .i turned it to size .these piece was still quite wet .took it in to show her . Forgot i had left it in the house . Next morning it had split right down the middle .what a waste .i learned after that.

et voila..............uno bandy saw..........for a cuttin scales................needs a fettle up ...new blade....clean....blade guides re-set....good to go

QUESTION......i know you can get blades for non-ferrous metal...the cuttin of.....can you get blades for mild steel cutting for this model...BS/1310...

anyway this is my monday job

bandsaw 001tn_.JPG

bandsaw 002tn_.JPG

bandsaw 003tn_.JPG

The best bandsaw blades to get are called " tuff " see if i can find you there web site. I use theres all the time .if you go carefull with a dremel mark a tooth with felt tip .come in with a small round diamond tip the size of the inner shape of the tooth .you can get more use out of them .tip bog oak knocks hell out of them:good:

www.tuffsaws.co.uk

Good luck.

That'll do. You said it needed a good clean out, just reminded me to get the 'sucker' inside mine, not done for a while.  I've not bothered with a metal blade, cut most of my stuff with a 1mm disc, but the band saw is very useful for cutting small items like knife handle material.  You need to lose weight now to squeeze into the workshop:lol:

14 minutes ago, la bala said:

Come on ditchman, have you got them new ceramic belts working yet.

hold yer 'orses...one thing at a time.........

this band saw is in a terrible mess....it was going into self destruct.............the story is ...

my mate bought it off one of his line managers at work....the manager decieded to take up a hoppy and kitted himself out in the garage with a complete woodworking shop....no mechanical skill...ended up using the bandsaw to cut kindling....so deciedes to buy a lotus 7 and become a racing driver.....needs the garage and flogs everything off.....my mate picks up a de walt saw bench and the bandsaw for £50 notes.....keeps the saw bench and puts the bandsaw in the courner of his workshop....until i got it off him......the guides and the rollers are all out of line....the wooden guide pegs have never been adjusted...the blade has been wavering all over the place  so there has been quite a bit of damage.....roller bearing have never been greased....the list goes on....i have taken the top and bottom guides off and am freeing off alll the rusted knurled adjusting knobs....reprofiling the wooden guide pegs....blah  blah    blah.....the blade is running true now and nice and quiet....so i will add the guides back tomorrow to keep the blade in position....

also he binned the fence...so im making a new fence as well............phoned the saw people in Whiffler road in norwich,,,they have all the band blades i need for cutting hardwood and steel............i have also changed the pullies over to the slow speed now...........................then i will mount it in position...

27 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

All part of the process!:yes:

quite right mr titchoke....................it is MY journey from start to finish.....and you are all welcome along for the ride.....................:friends:

sooner or later i will have to stop the "talk talk.......and do the walk walk"..........if it works everybody will be happy ...if it dont there will be a closing down sale.....

24 minutes ago, ditchman said:

quite right mr titchoke....................it is MY journey from start to finish.....and you are all welcome along for the ride.....................:friends:

sooner or later i will have to stop the "talk talk.......and do the walk walk"..........if it works everybody will be happy ...if it don't there will be a closing down sale.....

I do hope not!

Just something to think about for those knife handles. I have just soaked some spalted chestnut slabs in a wood hardener for four days and the wood soaked up about 3/4 of the fluid.

Dried out this morning and so impressed with result I am now planning to build a vaccuum container to do a real job.  It is expensive stuff, but with softer spalted timber it stabilizes and hardens it.  You get some real nice attractive colours and patterns in spalted timber.

2018-03-27 13.32.21 (800x490).jpg

Edited by Walker570

lots of interesting ideas coming forward.............i shall go to the acle sale next week to see if there are any of those bloody awful african carvings about...they usually go for firewood prices and some of them are dubiuous quality lignium vitea.....(ebony)

just about sorted on the bandsaw...running smooth and quiet....just woking on a angled fence............fingers are getting cold now.....

and fish & chips to-nite..:yahoo::yahoo:

3 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Just something to think about for those knife handles. I have just soaked some spalted chestnut slabs in a wood hardener for four days and the wood soaked up about 3/4 of the fluid.

Dried out this morning and so impressed with result I am now planning to build a vaccuum container to do a real job.  It is expensive stuff, but with softer spalted timber it stabilizes and hardens it.  You get some real nice attractive colours and patterns in spalted timber.

2018-03-27 13.32.21 (800x490).jpg

Derailing ditchmans thread slightly , when I was at one building firm we used to make beer skips with a dark hardwood called Karoon ? , not sure if the spelling is right but the wood was as hard as steel and would blunt your chisels after minimum use , it would also poison your bloodstream if you got a shiver in your hand . not sure if it would be any good for knife handles .