"im mainly (at it again)"

ditchman

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Just something to think about for those knife handles. I have just soaked some spalted chestnut slabs in a wood hardener for four days and the wood soaked up about 3/4 of the fluid.

Dried out this morning and so impressed with result I am now planning to build a vaccuum container to do a real job.  It is expensive stuff, but with softer spalted timber it stabilizes and hardens it.  You get some real nice attractive colours and patterns in spalted timber.

2018-03-27 13.32.21 (800x490).jpg

What wood hardener do you use/find best?    NB

56 minutes ago, NatureBoy said:

What wood hardener do you use/find best?    NB

Errrrrrr??? I'm not in the workshop but I just asked the guy in the hardware store for a small tin of wood hardener and he gave me this one.  As said this is my first go but I believe a vaccuum chamber will make sure it gets right in the wood.  The Yanks use something called 'cactus juice'  have no idea what that is but does the same job.  One thing I do know, it is ~~~~~expensive.   £5 for a very small tin which with a compressor would have treated maybe six or seven knife handles.   Goodle shows half a dozen different brands but you want to liquid version.

18 minutes ago, ditchman said:

you can make a vacumn chamber out of a freezer compressor...make a good vacumn pump..............

I will look into that, quite a few dumped in the ditches round here.

getting on with the bandsaw......its running nearly true...just need to take the drive wheel off and put a shim behind it....so the top adjustment works better......nearly finished the fence (adjustable) which will be used for cutting the scales and the meat off the tool steel prior to shaping...............

bandsaw 001tn_.JPG

bandsaw 002tn_.JPG

bandsaw 003tn_.JPG

bandsaw 004tn_.JPG

bandsaw 005tn_.JPG

bandsaw 006tn_.JPG

bandsaw 007tn_.JPG

bandsaw 008tn_.JPG

bandsaw 009tn_.JPG

Are you going to make a ripping fence for long cuts ,band saws are not easy to cut long lengths with out one .they tend to wonder if the blade is not sharp and set up right re rollers and tension on the blade .with a bigish blade on mine ,i can cut strips up about 5 inch .i tend to use it more than my 10 inch table saw. You have cleaned up very nice .if you have been cutting differant coloured timbers and not cleaned it in a while . When you open the door all the stacked saw dust in differant colours looks quite bonny:lol:

3 hours ago, johnphilip said:

Are you going to make a ripping fence for long cuts ,band saws are not easy to cut long lengths with out one .they tend to wonder if the blade is not sharp and set up right re rollers and tension on the blade .with a bigish blade on mine ,i can cut strips up about 5 inch .i tend to use it more than my 10 inch table saw. You have cleaned up very nice .if you have been cutting differant coloured timbers and not cleaned it in a while . When you open the door all the stacked saw dust in differant colours looks quite bonny:lol:

ive made another clamp on fence for longer straight cuts....the machine will only ever be used for short scales and as i have it running on the slowest speed now ...i will use it on removing the meat from the 4mm thick blanks for the knives.....

i have finally bit the bullet and have started to re-wire the shed...i have installed MCB's and a circuit for machinary/welder...and seperate one for lights......

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

ive made another clamp on fence for longer straight cuts....the machine will only ever be used for short scales and as i have it running on the slowest speed now ...i will use it on removing the meat from the 4mm thick blanks for the knives.....

i have finally bit the bullet and have started to re-wire the shed...i have installed MCB's and a circuit for machinary/welder...and seperate one for lights......

Good stuff , you can never have enough sockets and good lighting and something to keep you warm .

4 hours ago, johnphilip said:

Good stuff , you can never have enough sockets and good lighting and something to keep you warm .

Steady woa back up a bit ?

dont want him to comfortable he’ll only be lounging about drinking tea 

only heat and light you’re going to need is from a good old fashioned forge ?

50 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Steady woa back up a bit ?

dont want him to comfortable he’ll only be lounging about drinking tea 

only heat and light you’re going to need is from a good old fashioned forge ?

And were did i say anything about a sofa:yahoo: .he will need to sit back and admire his work .

dont worry im still here..........

i have reserrected an old post drill.....the one i use for steel et al runs at 400rpm...my old post drill when you change the gears runs at 2700rpm...just right for doing clean holes in wood ....if you have decent bits..(wood ones that is).....re-wiring is complete now...all seperated into lighting circuits and machine tool circuit....had to relocate the welder...to get it away from the dusty areas...as the circuits are cooled with a fan....just got a couple of things to get next week, and then we should be on "our" way..:yahoo:

well..................i havnt been slacking ...like some of you think..:hmm:......

i needed to satisfy myself on how to attatch in a nice clean....none nancy boy finish the scales to the tang of the knife....its no good...spending all that time in cutting the blade and the handle looks naff.

so i gathered together some bits...12mm mild rod ..drilled it out to 3mm......to take a 3mm electric braising rod core...cut the drilled out rod and the brass rod to length...drilled out holes in wood....chamfered off internal to allow the expansion of the peening process ...and then sanding off ...trying a bit of dye etc...

so this is what i call "A Saxon sheild boss rivet"...

made a few mistakes 

1. need very sharp drills
  2. went to hard on the sander...and it heated up the sheild outer and charred the wood..(see the black ring around the sheild)

happy with the process...just need some decent drills to get a 100% perfect fit...............i fettled up my old Clarke post drill (the blue one) and that will be a dedicated knife scale (wood) drill

sheild boss 001tn_.JPG

sheild boss 002tn_.JPG

sheild boss 003tn_.JPG

sheild boss 004tn_.JPG

sheild boss 005tn_.JPG

sheild boss 006tn_.JPG

sheild boss 007tn_.JPG

sheild boss 008tn_.JPG

sheild boss 009tn_.JPG

sheild boss 010tn_.JPG

sheild boss 011tn_.JPG

sheild boss 012tn_.JPG

sheild boss 013tn_.JPG

sheild boss 014tn_.JPG

sheild boss 015tn_.JPG

sheild boss 016tn_.JPG

sheild boss 017tn_.JPG

sheild boss 018tn_.JPG

21 minutes ago, johnphilip said:

Looking good .if you want the handle to have an aged look wax it with Briwax .plenty buffing the wood can give an amazing effect .

that wood i was using wont take any sort of stain or polish.....i left 3 drops of linseed oil on it overnite.....came down in the morning none of it had gone in...