"im mainly (at it again)"

ditchman

On fresh sanded wood , its first few coats need to be thinned out , this helps the finish soak into the wood .when i do some wood turning i use , sanding sealer. It does two jobs first it seals the timber and lifts any saw dust onto the top .allowing you to resand it sooth , then you can use the finish of your choise linseed oil would not be my first choice . Its only good on cricket bats . I would go for danish oil or tounge oil .plenty of rubbing .some people use just there hand and use the palm of there hand to get the oil warm and let it soak in better .the more coats you use the darker the wood becomes . That were you desided what finish you like to see .the beauty of the lathe is you leave the worked piece on the lathe and let the lathe run , make life easy the lathe is doing the work .

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These blanks I have treated with wood hardener come up tidy.  I have sanded and then polished a couple and I don't think they would need anyhting further.  I have found a little vacuum unit which may also be adequate for the relatively thin pieces of wood....only 25 notes so worth trying. When I have a few sets made I'll send you some over to have a look at.

Novel way of doing the pins. Looks good.

19 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

These blanks I have treated with wood hardener come up tidy.  I have sanded and then polished a couple and I don't think they would need anyhting further.  I have found a little vacuum unit which may also be adequate for the relatively thin pieces of wood....only 25 notes so worth trying. When I have a few sets made I'll send you some over to have a look at.

Novel way of doing the pins. Looks good.

its a wharts an' all post............not the best finish...but will be perfect when i have some really true sharp drills...everything will be slick as snot....will also change the boss and shield for ...copper...brass...bronze...steel...stainless steel....sort of mix and match depending on the scale material used.........

1 hour ago, panoma1 said:

Will not the shock from peening over the pins risk cracking the scale?

no....not at all....the sheild spreads out the loaded area...and as you can see on the pics i have chamfered the sheild (inner) and i have chamfered the brass rivet...doing the rivet like that sends a pressured column down the middle of the rod to fit the chamfer,....it also swells the central first part of the rod...rather than draw together  with peening..........the otherway is to peen it over...and that way ....as you point out would be difficult to control the ammout of squeeze to the scales.....

have another look at the pics and you will see what i mean....

The problem with drills tearing the edge of the hole is always a problem in some woods, they all differ.  I was planning on drilling a guide hole smaller than required and then using a milling bit at high speed to finish the job.  Have not tried it yet. Thoughts ??   I think that drilling the pin holes in this 'treated' wood will drill much more cleanly as the 'resin' will have all the fibres locked together. Peeing down this morning so might just try it as it looks like indoor play.

11 hours ago, ditchman said:

no....not at all....the sheild spreads out the loaded area...and as you can see on the pics i have chamfered the sheild (inner) and i have chamfered the brass rivet...doing the rivet like that sends a pressured column down the middle of the rod to fit the chamfer,....it also swells the central first part of the rod...rather than draw together  with peening..........the otherway is to peen it over...and that way ....as you point out would be difficult to control the ammout of squeeze to the scales.....

have another look at the pics and you will see what i mean....

I See! Do you peen using a hammer, freehand as is? Or a press? So pressure is applied to the rivet accurately?

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

The problem with drills tearing the edge of the hole is always a problem in some woods, they all differ.  I was planning on drilling a guide hole smaller than required and then using a milling bit at high speed to finish the job.  Have not tried it yet. Thoughts ??   I think that drilling the pin holes in this 'treated' wood will drill much more cleanly as the 'resin' will have all the fibres locked together. Peeing down this morning so might just try it as it looks like indoor play.

Would a brad point bit stop this splintering?  

1 hour ago, panoma1 said:

I See! Do you peen using a hammer, freehand as is? Or a press? So pressure is applied to the rivet accurately?

just use an ordinary 3.5oz flat tack hammer...that has been sanded off...........

14 minutes ago, old'un said:

Would a brad point bit stop this splintering?  

changed the MO thismorning............

got out my unused titanium drill bit....as that is quite sharp  its 9.5mm and the insert is 10mm...but as it is wood it will drill a slightly larger hole and ends up as press fit...it follows the 3mm rivet hole fine....centralises very quickly..

gave it a bit of stain..(using mahogany this time)................rekon that combination will look really smart on the bog oak walker sent me....on the antler i will use a copper insert (shield) and brass rivert...............

2nd attempt 001tn_.JPG

2nd attempt 002tn_.JPG

2nd attempt 003tn_.JPG

2nd attempt 004tn_.JPG

2nd attempt 005tn_.JPG

16 minutes ago, old'un said:

What metal are you using for the insert?  

none of you would guess in a 1000 years what they(inserts) are made from..........................................

here is the story...................................are you sitting comfortably ?

Pregnant pause…………………………………………………...come on then, tell us.

And yes I am sitting comfortably, this bloody rain as kept me indoors today.

13 minutes ago, ditchman said:

none of you would guess in a 1000 years what they(inserts) are made from..........................................Ok, its metal :yahoo:so what do I win?

here is the story...................................are you sitting comfortably ?

i have this mate who is a tin smith at lawrence and scott electro motors ...in norwich.....he gets me off cuts of steel etc.....

weeelllll.............they had a clearout a few years ago stuff dating back before the 2nd world war.......but during the war lawrence&scott used to make bits for spitfires and do engine rebuilds on radial engines..........

they are ...so im told stock steel for making aero engine "push rods"....they have a small 2mm hole down the middle....they were cut to lenght and the balls put on either end which had a small hole in...and it became a push rod...oilway to the tappets...........

there you go !!!

and the rivets are made from 3mm brass ARC WELDING RODS.......

recycling at its best.....:lol:

the steel is quite hard but cuts with a hack saw and drills nice and clean.......

23 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

The story alone is worth twice that.  Adds a very nice twist to the story on "The  Knife", if I live to see it:sad1:.

sorry about the slowness of it all..............when i am financially embarrased things come to a standstill..............if i was still working i would be churning out dozens of bblades before breakfast............just have to watch the pennies.....