Some Carpentry jobs

winnie&bezza

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not knocking your work but on the decking steps why are the sides on the steps different heights and the bottom step fully exposed and the posts stop on the second step cut out to go over the side boards. Sure there is a reason but to us laymen and diy peeps it’s interesting to know why. 

13 minutes ago, team tractor said:

Wit woo Nath. Showing your passion and skills. Should put the flooring on the joinery bible  .

our trade is possibly the lowest paid but the highest reward  

Passion maybe. Trying to reach your dizzying heights but my wings have been clipped ?

I thought about putting flooring on there but didn’t think it was suitable. Will put it on tomorrow then ??

Oh yeah much more satisfying than fitting a socket or fitting a tap ?

8 hours ago, figgy said:

Not knocking your work but on the decking steps why are the sides on the steps different heights and the bottom step fully exposed and the posts stop on the second step cut out to go over the side boards. Sure there is a reason but to us laymen and diy peeps it’s interesting to know why. 

Sorry figgy, I’ve just seen your comment. Missed it whilst uploading pics. 

Now, that is a job which I look back and think I wish I did a couple of things differently. It was a job for my mums good friend and the decking was basically a like for like re-new.

They said if the old joists and step frame are ok then use it so it keeps cost down. That’s why the posts on steps are notched over sides as they wouldn’t be in line with posts above on main decking area which I fitted first. 

The diferent height of sides on step was basically the way the board widths worked up the sides but I must admit I do wish I cut them to suit top of steps. It didn’t look too bad when doing it but I agree it does look odd on pics. I might even shoot round there and cut them. I’m gonna blame the 30 degree heat over the four days I was doing it with no breaks for me making the bad decisions ? I gave myself heatstroke.

The posts finishing on second step up was due to the original steps only having 3 steps. I said do you want a fourth step added and she said no don’t bother. I done it all and then the next day she said actually can you do a fourth ?

Now is the interrogation over ?

8 hours ago, davewh100 said:

very very nice we have some cracking joiners on this forum :good:

Cheers mate. I’m a carpenter and not a joiner. The rad covers and shutters were the first time I’ve made them. I’m teaching myself joinery ?

4 hours ago, winnie&bezza said:

I know mate ?? 

Cherers. That job was a real stressful one. All steps out of level and so time consuming. Also went 1.5 days over. 

most things I do go over by about a year and a half, my better half would be delighted with a day and a half.

love the flooring doing something big like that really gives a wow factor.

As for resizing your pictures I've just downloaded a free one, select your pic then just click which ever size fits ie less than 2.9 mb