A Day Later than Normal

So Friday night we decided not to venture out into the snow, as we have done so in the past to no avail as the pigeons would not decoy with apparent snow blindness.

So Saturday morning I helped the wife feed and muck out the horse and she said we would have to get some carrots. So off we go in the fog and drive to the local horse shop. While I'm outside I notice a flightline to one of my farms so we had to go and have a look.The snow was thick in places and the flightline ended in some trees not on the rape but close to some grass. I made the excuse to look at more of my farms but the fog was patchy and difficult to see if the birds were down on the rape. I did my good deed of the day when we came across aVW SUV stuck in a drift so I towed him out and when I went past the rape about twenty five birds lifted. I visited five other farms and saw no birds.Bunny Basher had phoned to say he was out but the birds did not want to decoy and he was shooting a belt of trees.

Sunday morning at the stables phone rings " Thousands on the Rape" DB had received the same call. I do not shoot Sundays normally as we have all the family round for dinner in the evening. I made an exception as I had not been out on Saturday. it was 10.00 and I said I would be at DBs for 11.00 which I was and set off to the farm. When we arrived it had approx one hundred and fifty in a thin belt of trees that ran along the edge of the rape. Nothing on the rape all in the trees. So we agreed to shoot either end of the thin wood with decoys in the rape. We were set up for 12.00 and kept putting birds back to each other, nothing decoyed but it was just like roost shooting at 15.00 we had a terrific hail storm that turned to rain which then continued till we left the field at 17.30. When I returned home I laid the birds out to dry before freezing and we had ninety five pigeons, which was great for the type of shooting and kept the farmer happy.

Snow_3rd.jpg

The depth of the drifts we passed looking for pigeon on Saturday

100_3061.jpg

Ninetyfive pigeons laid out in the garage

Edited by pigeon controller

Another great result. :good:

It amazes me that there are not more bags posted like this on here (being a pigeon forum). I have a few excuse's in that we don't have so many here on the perms I have, I have other stuff to shoot and a good bag of pigeons for me would be anything over 20. 

Time and opportunity :hmm::)

Edited by oowee

17 hours ago, oowee said:

Another great result. :good:

It amazes me that there are not more bags posted like this on here (being a pigeon forum). I have a few excuse's in that we don't have so many here on the perms I have, I have other stuff to shoot and a good bag of pigeons for me would be anything over 20. 

Time and opportunity :hmm::)

It is a little different in my part of the world. Shooting regular bags like that at this time of the year is very difficult due to the birds being so flocked up. The lack of big bags for me at the moment is certainly not down to a lack of birds. In the right circumstances it is possible, but not the norm on rape here.

I think other social media will show that big bags of pigeons are being shot around the country.

Well done again, Supertash!

Motty, thanks for your reply. We also have the problem with flocking pigeons, that's why we travel a lot to find birds feeding well and not just sitting in the trees playing follow the leader. These from expirence are very difficult to shoot as they just lift off and don't return. 

If you can rest a field for two plus weeks that gives you an edge. Other shooters can and will cause birds to spooky. We are lucky that over thirty years we have built up a number of areas to shoot , which gives us the chance to shoot different flocks. 

Its case of once you get permission keep looking for others if you want continuous sport. We had a good shoot with three good flightlines to it . Another shooter gained permission via the Farmers daughter and shot continuously every weekend . This had the effect of spooking the birds that you very rarely see birds on it even with rape and barley grown. The shooter now lives on the farm.

I agree the bags on social media are on selected crops and large game type estates with very limited access. We have some MOD land within our area and the land is rented out but no shooting at all and you will see vast flocks of birds on it . We do shoot the edges on the cereals in the summer and three hundred bird bag just scratches the surface. 

3 hours ago, pigeon controller said:

Motty, thanks for your reply. We also have the problem with flocking pigeons, that's why we travel a lot to find birds feeding well and not just sitting in the trees playing follow the leader. These from expirence are very difficult to shoot as they just lift off and don't return. 

If you can rest a field for two plus weeks that gives you an edge. Other shooters can and will cause birds to spooky. We are lucky that over thirty years we have built up a number of areas to shoot , which gives us the chance to shoot different flocks. 

Its case of once you get permission keep looking for others if you want continuous sport. We had a good shoot with three good flightlines to it . Another shooter gained permission via the Farmers daughter and shot continuously every weekend . This had the effect of spooking the birds that you very rarely see birds on it even with rape and barley grown. The shooter now lives on the farm.

I agree the bags on social media are on selected crops and large game type estates with very limited access. We have some MOD land within our area and the land is rented out but no shooting at all and you will see vast flocks of birds on it . We do shoot the edges on the cereals in the summer and three hundred bird bag just scratches the surface. 

Well done PC!!  Very good info from you and Motty!!! Sums it up! It's the Same my way. Tho there are less birds about/flighting very reluctant to decoy and it was the same last year. Now the game seasons over there's a few big flocks moving on mass and settling briefly before moving on over a wide area with very few birds flighting. Always has been very little chance of a big day or letting numbers build in this area. 25+ and you are do'n well! Plenty of eyes other shooters and farmers watching fields daily. Some if your not about weekly having a go get others on or have a few shots at them themselves, use them pest lasers or wack rockets up. As you say a few big bags are coming from managed or estate land over fed slashed or part slashed cover crops. A lot of take a chance while you can or duty shooting at the mo and move on. I guess some times i am one of those shooters you speak of. If the pigeons aren't play'n ball i am happy to walk the hedges woods ponds and spinneys in known areas to make a bag. Just good to be out! Always something to see learn or forage!!  It sometimes turn into an unexpected session if you find a few tucked out of sight that haven't been disturbed. Always a pond good for a duck or bit of scrub for a pheasant or 2 in season as well.

You guys certainly put the effort in! I cover several farms. Mostly local but all different. Have to share a lot as it a well shot area. Know em like the back of my hand but new ground seems hard to come by at the mo. Loose some, gain others.

Atb  NB

Hi NatureBoy, I have no problem with shared permissions but DB hates other shooters on his land. I'm a firm believer in Kama and if the Farmer give permission to others fair play. I will text a picture to the Farmer of our results and usually get the first call. If another shooter has been on the land you can tell from the reaction of the birds and move on. We also receive permissions based on recommendations .

This week has given me good opportunities to get out after being incarcerated last week due to the snow. I have done two hundred miles looking for pigeons. 

I have seen a lot but at no stage would I have considered setting up as there were no flight lines just flocks of up to 300 birds.

I am relying on Clodhopper to find us some for Friday. 

28 minutes ago, JDog said:

This week has given me good opportunities to get out after being incarcerated last week due to the snow. I have done two hundred miles looking for pigeons. 

I have seen a lot but at no stage would I have considered setting up as there were no flight lines just flocks of up to 300 birds.

I am relying on Clodhopper to find us some for Friday. 

Much the same as you. Lots just loitering and no promising lines. I am off to have a look at my favourite area tomorrow so will hopefully find something.

I was watching 500 + just ********* about yesterday afternoon, frustrating!!!!

It's strange round this way PC! Very noticeable lack of flighting birds/traffic  this autumn/winter. Very spooky flocks acting like starlings or just disappearing and sitting up a lot, even with good winds. Most are finding it hard and with fewer birds about as well don't bother shooting. Even the woods have been quiet! With that and so much rape to go at and less gas guns being used they are not being pushed around. I don't think many birds have moved this way to boost the numbers either. Was the same last year. With less birds to go at i have been brush'n on shoots for the first time in years. What i did notice was how different some pigeons behave round shoots. Generally the first out of a drive/cover (some easily shootable, especially if your only armed with a flag.) but just drop in to another cover or quick to return  after the drive during the rest of the shoot. I am not bothered by other shooters. Be plenty turn out at seed time and harvest. Often go out a bit later after others are sorted and set up and shoot another farm to hopefully bounce birds about a bit. Never argue over shooting a few pigeons! Some times think it's harder as i shoot by myself most of the time. Think most of Suffolk and Norfolk heavily shot wherever you go. Generally average 25 a session, 1200-1,400 odd a year. Just noticeable the last 2 years have been well below average. Putting more effort in for about a third less. Shooting more rabbits, corvids, squirrels and game tho.  NB