Shooting a Heron

Scully

Have been away for a while so this may be old news, but just for those interested ( I wont be listening ) the Vine show at lunchtime will be commenting on the story of a man who witnessed a Heron swallowing a duckling so shot the Heron with his legally held shotgun and retrieved the duckling.....it didn't state if the duckling survived. Anyhow, he was cautioned by the police and his shotgun seized, but they now find themselves having to justify their actions to an enraged public! Protected ugly predator against cute fluffy prey.  You really couldn't make it up. 

I saw this in the Telegraph online this  morning.

It did not say he was a SGC holder  ? , in fact , it was headlined as an 'animal lover' saving  a cute fluffy duck :whistling:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/03/27/animal-rights-protester-killed-heron-save-duckling-ripping-open/

What will the anti's make of this ? :innocent:

Edited by Gameking

Well it gets more interesting;

"North Wales Police tweeted that in saving the young bird, the elderly man from the Pwllheli area "was then left with a dead heron".

The force's Rural Crime Team added: "You couldn't make this up."

Officers said he shot the heron dead with an air gun, then cut it open to rescue the duckling, which was still alive in the heron's stomach.

Wildlife charity the RSPB said all birds were protected by law with fines or jail sentences issued for offences. The maximum penalties for killing a heron are a fine of up to £5,000, and up to six months in prison.

The man voluntarily confessed to the RSPB following the incident in 2017.

Police said he was given a minor punishment because he was regarded as vulnerable and had no previous convictions".

I wonder if the £5000 fine could be offset by awarding him £5000 for saving the duckling?

7 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

I very much doubt that a 'Joe Public' with a sub 12ft lbs air rifle could kill a heron cleanly with one shot

i agree defo not one shot, you can not shoot a heron unless you get permission from natural england, my licence for cormorants and gooesander has a list heron is a no no

1 hour ago, Vince Green said:

I very much doubt that a 'Joe Public' with a sub 12ft lbs air rifle could kill a heron cleanly with one shot

he then cut it open and rescued the duckling?  really? sounds like a facebook fantasy to me.

I too am sceptical, sounds too ridiculous to be true

On 28/03/2018 at 18:44, ips said:

I too am sceptical, sounds too ridiculous to be true

It's only a heron, they still have a brain and a thin skull... pellet in the noggin and down it goes same with most things. Fieldsports Britain did a test on a fox skull with a sub 12ftlb air rifle and it penetrated the skull, or cracked it. Either way, it's doable 

As hendrix say's wot's more important is the thickness of skull and how close he was, so it could be possible.

I would imagine a rabbit skull could easily be as hard as a herons and many folk shoot them at long distances

We have a fairly resident heron on the local nature resreve, its quite common for it to be seen stabbing and eating ducklings, the predatation on the pond is so bad we haven't fledged a duckling for over 5 years (combination of herons, crows stoats and mink and occasional otter) and thats with 50 odd resident mallard attempting to nest constantly throu the summer.

terrible really and yet the rest of committee still won't allow me to control the legal pest species.

Ps All birds are protected by law to various extents, they're then is exemptions for various species ie game seasons or general licences etc, which allows certain species to be killed  at various times/ways etc