"im mainly......"facinated

ditchman

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Essex said:

Hi Ditch man I’m here at last  .might take me some time to work out how to use this sight but I’ll get there .. knife pics are great ...

good for you get stuck in boy............

you are now in "the filth & engineering" section

Edited by ditchman

2 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Nearly time to hand it back!

i do get attatched to diferent knives ....but this one has a lot of history behing it ...and its made / assembled in Norwich....

this is going to be a difficult one ...:bye2:

12 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Easy answer for you. Make a replica:good:

.... but with a crosshead screwdriver blade for utility.

Well, how many holes do you need to make in a leather belt nowadays? 😄

all the springs made now............what a bind...slowly slowly........the springs need a bit of further work when fitting them so they are left "in the rough"..and they need cutting back on length by about 2-3mm each one.........but i will do that after hardening them and tempering...then it will be fitting back together and polishing up.....

3 springs 001tn_.JPG

3 springs 002tn_.JPG

3 springs 003tn_.JPG

3 springs 004tn_.JPG

3 springs 005tn_.JPG

3 springs 006tn_.JPG

3 springs 007tn_.JPG

3 springs 008tn_.JPG

3 springs 009tn_.JPG

right 'ere we are again..............

now i have made these here springs....3 days work (sort oif) i thought i would practice tempering to the right heat...and after several goes i think i have done it....harden the springs is the easy bit....keep them at the right coulour in the fire...then quench (straight) in cooking oil.........but the temper need to be correct....it mustnt be uneven or tooo quick...so i cut a solid block of steel and put that in the fire...then layed the "pretend" spring on the block of steel...and after 3mins it got to an uneven blue.....now i need it to be even and a bit less blue so ....hotter....so i cleaned the "pretend" spring up ...in went the block of steel ...and it came out ....nearly cherry red.....on went the "pretend" spring.....just went blu to quick and uneven and later greyish...so that was no good.....try again.....but steel came out less than red ...i wire brushed it  and left it to cool a bit then put the "pretend" spring on...

success..:yahoo:..it slowly went thro the colours past deep blue ...to light blue ...then flicked it off....and the result you see below....da---taaa

practice temper 001tn_.JPG

practice temper 002tn_.JPG

practice temper 003tn_.JPG