How is deer hunting on your side of the pond?

Getting close to open season over here.  I’m going to be heading up to West Virginia at the end of the month to scout out deer sign.  I checked my sights on my CZ527 in 762x39 today.  I’m going to hunt over iron sights this year.  I have actually never hunting deer with irons but I’m getting old and if I’m going to try I need to before my eyes fail.  I also scouted a couple thousand acres out near the NC coast with good result but I’m leaning toward WV.  

65638766-29CF-4C34-9288-C98DF07540AE.jpeg

That's a very nice looking rifle. I've never hunted anything bigger than Roe, but the term 'hunt' isn't really applicable in the UK. We 'stalk' deer basically, and even that term doesn't really apply to Roe as they are very predictable and easy to stalk, and even easier to shoot, which is the main reason I no longer do it.

I would love to try stalking close enough to shoot Moufflon however. I think it's the terrain they inhabit which appeals. 

I do envy you your freedoms and the vast expanses of all manner of terrain available to you. Have fun. 

We don't have a closed situation for hunting deer here as our buck / doe, species seasons all overlap so somewhere you can shoot a deer all year round, added to that we have six species and non of them are in short supply.    Actually getting to shoot a deer in almost all cases unless you own your own land or have a friendly land owner who lets you control the deer free of charge, you will have to pay a fee to a guide or rent your own area individually or as a syndicate.  The two which have facinated all of my American friends who have visited have been the muntjac and the chinese water deer.

Hope you have a good time and bring back some venison. 

37 minutes ago, Scully said:

That's a very nice looking rifle. I've never hunted anything bigger than Roe, but the term 'hunt' isn't really applicable in the UK. We 'stalk' deer basically, and even that term doesn't really apply to Roe as they are very predictable and easy to stalk, and even easier to shoot, which is the main reason I no longer do it.

I would love to try stalking close enough to shoot Moufflon however. I think it's the terrain they inhabit which appeals. 

I do envy you your freedoms and the vast expanses of all manner of terrain available to you. Have fun. 

Cz for the price makes really good stuff.  I bought this because I wanted a short stubby iron sight rifle and 762x39 is pennies on the dollar over here.  I have taken deer with a sks in 7.62x39 so I know it’s capable. I have deer out the *** around my house and on the farm but sometimes you need a reason to travel.  The wife doesn’t understand that sometimes a man need to be in a strange piece of forest for a few days.  

40 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

We don't have a closed situation for hunting deer here as our buck / doe, species seasons all overlap so somewhere you can shoot a deer all year round, added to that we have six species and non of them are in short supply.    Actually getting to shoot a deer in almost all cases unless you own your own land or have a friendly land owner who lets you control the deer free of charge, you will have to pay a fee to a guide or rent your own area individually or as a syndicate.  The two which have facinated all of my American friends who have visited have been the muntjac and the chinese water deer.

Hope you have a good time and bring back some venison. 

If Chinese water deer is the one with fangs the it’s definitely on my list of animals.  Every time I look at hunting abroad though I get sticker shock and change my mind.  But before I die I want to bird hunt in northern Scotland, and moose hunt Canada, and gator hunt Louisiana.  

@Walker570they're always in short supply when I want to shoot one 😂 

@NoBodyImportant where I live weve got roe and fallow deer but I've only got relatively small pockets of land to shoot so I have to work hard for my venison. The one 60 acre plot can be very productive around this time of year and then from December onwards its barren apart from foxes. Fallow are tricky to shoot because they're very transient and around me they get shot on sight so they end up nocturnal so actually arranging a date with one takes a lot of luck, I shot a small buck a week ago at 35yds. I nearly didnt go out and only sat under the tree where I did because I had one photo of one deer two nights previously. A 243 to the neck dropped him on the spot. He wasnt so small when I had to drag him 600yds and lift him into my pick up. He was 80kg just short and walking through long grass so looked small!

1 hour ago, Benthejockey said:

@Walker570they're always in short supply when I want to shoot one 😂 

@NoBodyImportant where I live weve got roe and fallow deer but I've only got relatively small pockets of land to shoot so I have to work hard for my venison. The one 60 acre plot can be very productive around this time of year and then from December onwards its barren apart from foxes. Fallow are tricky to shoot because they're very transient and around me they get shot on sight so they end up nocturnal so actually arranging a date with one takes a lot of luck, I shot a small buck a week ago at 35yds. I nearly didnt go out and only sat under the tree where I did because I had one photo of one deer two nights previously. A 243 to the neck dropped him on the spot. He wasnt so small when I had to drag him 600yds and lift him into my pick up. He was 80kg just short and walking through long grass so looked small!

I had  a decent size doe run on me one time for about 600 yards.  Straight down a mountainside across a large creek and up the other side.  That was fun crossing 3ft  deep water in below freezing weather, only drag a deer up a mountain side.  I’m surprised you all have any deer with open season year around.   

That is the real difference... you never see orange clothing here.  On a elk hunt in the rockies we had to ride in on horseback for nearly two hours before we saw any animals and they where skidadling up to higher ground.  Found out why when we topped a ridge and looked back towards civilisation and the point where four wheelers had to be left at the park gate.   The whole area was dotted with orange clothed guys with rifles. 

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

That is the real difference... you never see orange clothing here.  On a elk hunt in the rockies we had to ride in on horseback for nearly two hours before we saw any animals and they where skidadling up to higher ground.  Found out why when we topped a ridge and looked back towards civilisation and the point where four wheelers had to be left at the park gate.   The whole area was dotted with orange clothed guys with rifles. 

I know around here while hunting on public game land you must wear blaze orange (or blaze pink).   Some people use a arm bracelet while others wear vest and shirts. (Law doesn’t state how much)  Funny part is you can hike or ride 4 wheelers without blaze orange.  But the law states while hunting it must be worn.  I really like the British tradition hunting clothes.  Around here I’d get laughed at though.  

4 hours ago, figgy said:

Cheap amunition 7.62x39, used the world over in large quantities.

Good luck with your open sights hunting. Wear plenty of orange as others will be out and some trigger happy.

Yes sir!  Chinese ammo is banned here (thanks norico)  but we still get the russian, and Ukraine stuff for about 16-20cent usd.  

Edited by NoBodyImportant