China coal fired power stations

krugerandsmith

12 minutes ago, KB1 said:

Does a different culture = repression?

A typical stroll through Beijing……….   People buying all the latest designer labels, sat in open air bars, drinking and listening to popular music, people having a cigarette just about anywhere they like……. having traditional food or Pizza Hut, or McDonalds etc etc etc…..   Pretty much like being in London, but without the same amount of fear of being knifed or mugged🥴

Yes, some places are wary of the 'tourist', as they are all too aware of how the Western Media paint their country.  

One thing the Chinese authorities won't tolerate is mass mobs determined to cause disruption (Should happen here a bit more), but most people I have met over the years don't appear to suffer from repression, as this in the opinion of many Chinese people is seen more as something of an uninformed Western opinion, judged by our own idea of 'freedom'…….

Just as you formed an opinion that it felt like a 'country and people in repression', they too have an opinion that in our country the Gweilo (Red Devil Foreigner) are lazy, sub-educated, promiscuous and undisciplined🥴  

Having said all of that, its a place I'm always happy to get home from😊  BUT……. too much reliance on contorted media reporting can leave you with beliefs such as previously demonstrated whereby 'Chinese whispers' would have us believe that all businesses are government owned🙄 when in fact there are more privately owned businesses than our country could shake a stick at👅

I am sure you are right about the perceptions we get and how twisted and warped they are when we get information 2nd 3rd or 5th hand and invariably twisted to suit and agenda. I certainly do not have enough knowledge of the country but allow me to make a frivolous remark if i may. I love chinese food in UK but in China it was carp :lol:

But one night when I had shrugged off the minders I took a walk down the road from my hotel and dropped into what looked like a bar. Chatting to a girl she arranged for some food that came back hot a loose in a carrier bag. The bar man dropped the bag in a bowl bent the sides of the bag over and I ate it from the bag. It was better food than I had, had all week, in what I am told was some of the best places to eat.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, oowee said:

I am sure you are right about the perceptions we get and how twisted and warped they are when we get information 2nd 3rd or 5th hand and invariably twisted to suit and agenda. I certainly do not have enough knowledge of the country but allow me to make a frivolous remark if i may. I love chinese food in UK but in China it was carp 

But one night when I had shrugged off the minders I took a walk down the road from my hotel and dropped into what looked like a bar. Chatting to a girl she arranged for some food that came back hot a loose in a carrier bag. The bar man dropped the bag in a bowl bent the sides of the bag over and I ate it from the bag. It was better food than I had, had all week, in what I am told was some of the best places to eat.

Thats the funny thing…….. they would never eat what we call "Chinese' food over here😁  When I eat 'Proper' Chinese food over there, I'm never off the pan💩

14 hours ago, oowee said:

But one night when I had shrugged off the minders I took a walk down the road from my hotel and dropped into what looked like a bar.... 

Sho, it sheems the shkills you learned in Q branch, whilst in the 'shervice' of our majesty are not going to washte. 

No doubt the evil foreign agents tailing you would have been liquidated for their failure to complete their misshion. 

Now I realishe that the 00 at the beginning of your name is actually 2 zeros.... 

Good job agent. 😹

P. S. Give my regards to pooshy. 

31 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Sho, it sheems the shkills you learned in Q branch, whilst in the 'shervice' of our majesty are not going to washte. 

No doubt the evil foreign agents tailing you would have been liquidated for their failure to complete their misshion. 

Now I realishe that the 00 at the beginning of your name is actually 2 zeros.... 

Good job agent. 😹

Perhaps he was originally Special Agent 00 Pee and had to change his codename?

20 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Good job agent. 😹

:lol: Not sure what sort of job you think I was doing. Nothing exciting I can tell you. The main money for country's hosting the games is to be made in the Olympics is in pre training camps. I was there to support ideas for securing pre training for London to be based in the UK rather than France and Spain. The camps arrive for upto two years prior to a games and invest heavily in facilities. There on a tourist visa as it was decided late in the day that I should go, so no time for a work visa.

I had a 75kg case on wheels with my own luggage. It was wheeled on my behalf to customs where I was stopped. I remember the conversation with customs when they asked what is in the case? I said gifts. Gifts for who came the reply. Thinking on my feet, 'gifts for friends and family' I said. You have friends and family in China? All the Chinese are my friends and family. 🙂 At which point I opened the bag to reveal hundreds of teddy bears holding cd rom sticks and due to my visa these were impounded. 

1 hour ago, Rewulf said:

Good job agent. 😹

Brilliant!

On 26/11/2019 at 21:24, KB1 said:

Does a different culture = repression?

A typical stroll through Beijing……….   People buying all the latest designer labels, sat in open air bars, drinking and listening to popular music, people having a cigarette just about anywhere they like……. having traditional food or Pizza Hut, or McDonalds etc etc etc…..   Pretty much like being in London, but without the same amount of fear of being knifed or mugged🥴

Yes, some places are wary of the 'tourist', as they are all too aware of how the Western Media paint their country.  

One thing the Chinese authorities won't tolerate is mass mobs determined to cause disruption (Should happen here a bit more), but most people I have met over the years don't appear to suffer from repression, as this in the opinion of many Chinese people is seen more as something of an uninformed Western opinion, judged by our own idea of 'freedom'…….

Just as you formed an opinion that it felt like a 'country and people in repression', they too have an opinion that in our country the Gweilo (Red Devil Foreigner) are lazy, sub-educated, promiscuous and undisciplined🥴  

Having said all of that, its a place I'm always happy to get home from😊  BUT……. too much reliance on contorted media reporting can leave you with beliefs such as previously demonstrated whereby 'Chinese whispers' would have us believe that all businesses are government owned🙄 when in fact there are more privately owned businesses than our country could shake a stick at👅

Deng maybe started this diversity?

Supposed quote........ about the colour of the cat not mattering as long a the mouse is caught? 

On 01/12/2019 at 09:16, henry d said:

Indeed, but still eisegesis.

Bit like the argument 'That wasn't proper communism' 🤣

To call one interpretation wrong or inaccurate, whilst proclaiming your own INTERPRETATION true, is a classic experiment in pride and hypocrisy. 

Absolutely laughable.