Ditchman?substitute

Old farrier

OF, well done to you for helping the lad out, given your expertise, knowledge and generosity I have no doubt you could have equipped the lad with an awesome forge and all the tools he might need to pursue a life a ‘smith, however by teaching him to make something from scratch using cheap materials that is a much more valuable life experience.

If the bottom of his forge burns out then you have helped equip him with the skills to work out how to make improvement and not just given the answers.

I can well imagine that one of the first tasks in the new forge will be crafting his own tongs, etc?

This task is a bit more busman’s holiday for you compared to one of your previous endeavours to give local kids craft skills, the new build punt.  Did she ever get a name by the way?

23 minutes ago, Penelope said:

he’s going to have to learn how to use a stick welder for that and a Angie grinder 

Is that otherwise know as a 'Dirty Den'?

That made me laugh, is Brian May not now grinding ‘Angie’

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

35 minutes ago, grrclark said:

OF, well done to you for helping the lad out, given your expertise, knowledge and generosity I have no doubt you could have equipped the lad with an awesome forge and all the tools he might need to pursue a life a ‘smith, however by teaching him to make something from scratch using cheap materials that is a much more valuable life experience.

If the bottom of his forge burns out then you have helped equip him with the skills to work out how to make improvement and not just given the answers.

I can well imagine that one of the first tasks in the new forge will be crafting his own tongs, etc?

This task is a bit more busman’s holiday for you compared to one of your previous endeavours to give local kids craft skills, the new build punt.  Did she ever get a name by the way?

That made me laugh, is Brian May not now grinding ‘Angie’

Give a man a fish you feed him for a day 

teach a man to fish and he can feed his family forever 

its a old saying that stands good today 😊

first task is a poker and a fire rake 😉

then a bracket/rail to hang tongs on 

he’s already made some tongs in my forge along with a punch and some rivets 

he’s putting a good bit of time and effort into this and as I said it’s a learning experience with a lot of applied mathematics 

today he’s mixed up a load of ashes and clinker with cement to make his own fire cement for the forge base 😊👍

excellent stuff nigel , youre teaching him skills that may well lead him into a very interesting career , and support him and his future family for life. 

i cant help feeling that youre missing a trick here though . as a sixteen year old , his parents probably cant wait to get rid of him , you could take him on as a full time apprentice , and explain that the first skill that a farrier needs , is cooking , you could send him off to w i training school for a couple of weeks , then he could practice his cooking skills every morning at around 8am , and every evening  at around 5pm . it wouldnt hurt for him to learn how to brew beer either . yes sir , he could be the best apprentice ever.:lol:

15 hours ago, JDog said:

Whilst he has been away Ditchman has been busy opening another of his stores this time in Grimsby. 

You will note that his spelling does not get any better.

09E37D3B-3B56-4ED2-9883-BBF444D87C2D.jpeg

have you finished your love in with Henry D yet...............

i have red some of them posts and im utterly appalled.............i know who my friends are now