2020/2021 Season?

CaptC

What is the opinion of PW's about the coming season with Covid 19 at the fore? Will game farms be supplying birds, will we be allowed to even attend shoots?

My Shoot Captain has just phoned and suggested three options, (1) Carry on as before, (2) Reduce to half the amount of poults, (3) Take a year off. Our landlord, a very generous farmer has offered us the year rent free if we go for option (3) - Thoughts please?

My shoot is funded by 4 friends, two in property, one plumber and one in equine veterinary. They are all feeling the pinch over the current situation and although nothing has been confirmed I have mentioned about putting the covers in, a bit of wheat and just run a rough shoot next season for the five of us. Hopefully this will all be over quicker than expected and we can carry as normal.

Yes these are very uncertain times .My own shoot is comprised mainly of guns over the age of sixty( including myself).We can but hope that all of us come through this difficult period .Do we carry on as normal or be prudent and reduce the number of birds this year and put off the building of a new pen ?Difficult choices to be made.

These days I purchase all of my shooting by the day and already have a dozen days booked and will be paying deposits this week.  Unless this problem goes totally manic then I feel confident the next season will go ahead as normal.   Even if the 'season' as such doesn't open until  November, it would still be well worth while.   I think maybe the grouse shooting and maybe some early Sept partridge will have to go. 

15 hours ago, Arley said:

Will be paying my subs in the next couple of weeks for our syndicate and have booked days on several other shoots, I think its important that we all try and support the game farms and shoots if we can.

I’m in quite a fortunate position so have paid everything due for booked days. Others have been really clobbered and not sure if they’ll be able to pay.

Hoping there will still be shooting but it’s more important that the keeper, his family, and others reliant on the shoot make it through this... I hope that all will be understanding if difficult decisions need to be taken about number of birds, days, or even the whole season getting impacted. 

We had a WhatsApp shoot meeting and have more or less decided to skip this year. No one knows when this will end. My thoughts are with the game farm, feed supplier and above all the farmer who is so generous.

May I wish everyone good and safe times!

1 hour ago, CaptC said:

We had a WhatsApp shoot meeting and have more or less decided to skip this year. No one knows when this will end. My thoughts are with the game farm, feed supplier and above all the farmer who is so generous.

May I wish everyone good and safe times!

I didn't know another thread was going on about the very same subject I have just posted , every day there is more bad news and even more so since the P M spoke last night and put the country into lock down.

My friend was saying last night he is still going to pay rent on the cover strips out of his own pocket to secure them for another year , if not it would have gone back into farming .

GOOD LUCK and stay safe.