FAC and Depression (over 5yrs ago)

SpiritMR

3 hours ago, team tractor said:

I’ve had my sgc for 20 years and Fac 7-8 . 
in February I was arrested after being set up for a crime I did not do . 
my wife accused me of violence and I was locked up for 23 1/2 hours and bailed for 3 months .All dropped and I found out she was having van affair  
I was almost sectioned and placed on antidepressants. Although I never tried suicide I was really ill and lost 3st . 
8 months on I’ve had to agree to silly rules about storage but I’ve kept my Fac . 
I’m off all my pills now but I know several on pills and Fac holders . 

it’s not clean cut . 
I volunteered for an assessment and it helped . 

I admire you talking about it . No one knows what way our lives will go . An anti depressant  drug is there to balance the chemicals  in the brain . So no difference  to any other  medication  for any other treatment  . That dark place . Is the worst  feeling in the world.  Stay strong .

I know of at least one recovering alcoholic who has had his licences back for some years after beating the drink. He was undoubtedly depressed and possibly suicidal at one point. But if the influences of the bad times are taken away there is no reason why folk cannot change for life, many do manage to do this.

I also know someone who has a conviction for abh in his youth who has turned into a perfectly reasonable and likable human being who enjoys his pigeon shooting.

On the basis that you are almost certain to repeat your mistakes suggested above we should ban all drivers breaking any law for life which is far from reasonable.

Just because you go through a bad patch does not preclude you from getting a licence in the future.

Your friend must speak to firearms himself to ask what they require of him as already suggested

1 hour ago, johnphilip said:

I admire you talking about it . No one knows what way our lives will go . An anti depressant  drug is there to balance the chemicals  in the brain . So no difference  to any other  medication  for any other treatment  . That dark place . Is the worst  feeling in the world.  Stay strong .

Being dragged out your house at gun point messes your head up I can assure you . I was heart broken as I loved my wife very much . 

I think FLO's have to be seriously careful about this issue.

With say drink, theft or criminal damage history for example there is room to manoeuvre without risking life if it was a bad decision if the past offender reverts to type, although many who reform or grow up go the other way if they are of a mind to value their FAC more than crime.

With depression its very different and hard to categorically establish a person has got better - considering potential loss of life of the applicant or others. It must be very tempting to err on the side of covering their backside.

10 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

I think FLO's have to be seriously careful about this issue.

With say drink, theft or criminal damage history for example there is room to manoeuvre without risking life if it was a bad decision if the past offender reverts to type, although many who reform or grow up go the other way if they are of a mind to value their FAC more than crime.

With depression its very different and hard to categorically establish a person has got better - considering potential loss of life of the applicant or others. It must be very tempting to err on the side of covering their backside.

My feo to be fair has been ruled by powers above and has tried to help me out .

i understand it’s go to be a hard job 

I myself in my younger days been to Magistrates courts and the Crown courts abh on a copper out of uniform a typical Saturday night fight  but i got my SGC and FAC 

People do change i got to be honest if it wasn't for my SGC and FAC i would have been in a lot more fights but it made me think twice before acting