Starting out on Rabbits

kentish

Afternoon all. My route into shooting has been somewhat topsy turvy - from midlife crisis clay shooting, to joining a wildfowling club, and on to starting deer stalking. Whilst I did a bit of air rifle plinking as a kid, I certainly didn't grow up in the countryside stalking the hedgerows for squirrels etc. but am now a firm fan of catching, preparing and cooking game.

I've just been offered rabbit shooting on someone's land and am interested in people's perspectives on the best way to manage it effectively. I haven't seen the ground yet, but it's been described as 7 acres of paddock/pasture backing onto an old quarry, where he thinks the burrows are, and if it's where I think it is then there are no public footpaths in the area to worry about.

I have an air rifle already, but also have a FAC and would happily put a rimfire on it if the police are happy with that on the land. However I'm interested to know what would be the deciding factors either way - is it going to be about the lie of the land and the cover etc., allowing you to stalk in close, or would you just prefer to use a rimfire over an air rifle all other things being equal because of ease/knock down power? I have a thermal spotter, which will help to find them in any case, but again - is night shooting generally deemed to be more effective than day on rabbits? Or does that depend on the time of year, weather etc? I've read a few things/watched a few youtubes, but generally interested in people's advice/opinions.

A person  new to shooting rabbits on new ground .I would DEFINITELY  start with the airgun .

That way you can pop a few of the easy ones while learning the terrain , public , land owner , weather , etc etc .if you mess up and a pellet goes somewhere it shouldn't (ricochet  /back stop etc ) then not ideal but better than a .22 lr or worse .

As you shoot the land and get a feel for the population of bunnies  you can possible add a fac air or rimmy  into the mix .

But be aware that you may shoot most if not all the rabbits on the first couple of outings  especially  if you use say a .17 hmr with nv at night .Great but you have just done your self out of sport and possibly the permission  as the job is done .(this happens all too often on a new perm .) 

4 hours ago, kentish said:

Afternoon all. My route into shooting has been somewhat topsy turvy - from midlife crisis clay shooting, to joining a wildfowling club, and on to starting deer stalking. Whilst I did a bit of air rifle plinking as a kid, I certainly didn't grow up in the countryside stalking the hedgerows for squirrels etc. but am now a firm fan of catching, preparing and cooking game.

I've just been offered rabbit shooting on someone's land and am interested in people's perspectives on the best way to manage it effectively. I haven't seen the ground yet, but it's been described as 7 acres of paddock/pasture backing onto an old quarry, where he thinks the burrows are, and if it's where I think it is then there are no public footpaths in the area to worry about.

I have an air rifle already, but also have a FAC and would happily put a rimfire on it if the police are happy with that on the land. However I'm interested to know what would be the deciding factors either way - is it going to be about the lie of the land and the cover etc., allowing you to stalk in close, or would you just prefer to use a rimfire over an air rifle all other things being equal because of ease/knock down power? I have a thermal spotter, which will help to find them in any case, but again - is night shooting generally deemed to be more effective than day on rabbits? Or does that depend on the time of year, weather etc? I've read a few things/watched a few youtubes, but generally interested in people's advice/opinions.

My Advice to you before you buy a rifle is go and view the ground have a walk around it get your bearings If you’ve started deer stalking etc you’ll be able work out safe shooting backstops etc Me personally I’d go for a rimfire if the grounds over 7 acres 

14 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

For a tiny piece of ground such as that an FAC air rifle is perfect. 

Night shooting is much more effective for rabbits but nowhere as fun as setting up on a sunny evening and shooting from a vantage point at dusk. 

This. 
Alternatively get yourself a couple of ferrets and a shotgun. 🙂

I have to agree though, sniping from a good vantage point on a nice warm evening is great fun and hugely satisfying. 

Thanks all, more or less what I assumed. I should think I'll start off with the air (non-fac) rifle anyway, otherwise I'd be waiting a long time for a variation before I can do anything. I'm not sure my home life could cope with ferrets thrown into the current mix of kids, dogs, quails and bees!

• 8 months later...

Well it took me a while what with having my air rifle back to Gamo to get the trigger sear replaced, but I finally got down there on Tuesday on a sunny evening and spent a couple of hours stalking/laying in wait. Ended up with 5 in the bag (actually 4, because a fox nabbed off with one of them before I could pick it up) The place is teeming with them and the landowner wants the numbers curtailing so I think this will be a weekly outing over the summer. Need to get my holdovers nailed down with a bit more precision and I think the patient approach will work out well.

image.jpeg.96f103821505f1199d6f2a7d7bb574dd.jpeg 

Good luck you did not say if you had a open FAC  or not if you do not hold a open.

Please double check the land with Kent police as i have 400 acres and was told it was all cleared. 

But since found out it was only 100 acres as the other lands were under a different name and not cleared for FAC .( could have cost me my ticket )

Lots of nice plots in Sevenoaks area used to shoot the big estate near Borough Green and BAT and Ball.