Which laptop ?.

the hitman

Got a nice little Sony Vaio from Empire Direct couple of months back, very good spec for £499, they do some good offers now and again, same laptop in Currys was £799 Would agree with the above comment about Vista, got it on mine and slower than my old Samsung laptop, hopefully doubling the ram will sort this

Another vote for Dell, I wouldnt touch there desktop PC's really as i prefer to build my own desktop's with top grade performance hardware, but laptop wise I would choose dell everytime. We use dell laptops in work and we have never really had too many problems with them, any problems we do get are down to the user.

I buy Dell at work - thats who we have a contract we - and thier laptops have been very good. Dell went throught a bad few years in terms of reliability but seem pretty good again now.

In terms of personal preference Id go for Toshiba Satalite Pro range - never had any problems with them, but the Tecra range were flakey as heck.

In terms of VFM I'd have a look in Tesco - they are knocking out some machines at unbelieveable prices for the spec atm, I've been sorely tempted myself (I'm the IT director for a pensions company too!).

Eg. Gateway Laptop £399 2gb ram, 160gb hdd WXGA (hi resolution) display, webcam, dvd writer etc. The only shortcoming is the graphics card (intel chip built into the mobo) it will do most stuff like playing movies etc, but some modern games which require a 3d processer won't run well if at all. Mind you'd be lucky to get a laptop in that price bracket that would do so!!

Something else worth considering is the software for your laptops. Most come with microsoft works, which is like a stripped down version of Office. If you want to add Microsoft Office look into the Home and Student Edition For £90 you can legally install it on 3 pc's in the same household.

Alternativley have a look at http://www.openoffice.org/. This is a completely free office suite using open source applications (much the same as Linux is a free operating system in place of windows). It's backed by Sun Microsystems and many public organisations are being encouraged to use it for cost saving.

Fujitsu-Siemens ive found to be excellent, my pc is one (3 or 4 years no problems at all) my dads laptop is one, 2 years no problems) My mums laptop is a toshiba, 3 1/2 years no problems, and i have an old Sony vaio 5+ years old, besides the battery having dumped its been excellent, still use it now.

at work we see more laptops coming back through being misstreated than through genuine breakdown.

My wife has an HP which is excellent, I have an Acer which isn't. The HP has a better screen and feels built to last, the Acer feels cheap and flimsy, the screen colours are soft and the touchpad buttons started to wear out within a couple of months. Having said that, the Acer was cheaper than the HP and meets my needs at the price.

It's a decent enough spec. and you can order with XP or Vista which is handy.

I was going to say make sure you get with an XP downgrade option as Vista isn't to everyones liking.

The irony with these notebook posts is that with a few notable exceptions almost all the notebooks on sale today are made by only 3 or 4 far eastern companies and then badge engineered :good: