This makes my blood boil !!!!

26 minutes ago, Poor Shot said:

The first manufacturer to snap and start offering cartridges at a super competitive price will sweep most of the market overnight.

I've often wondered why a company like cheddite, who manufacturer cases, wads etc for other cartridge makers, doesn't use that as an advantage and offer cartridges at a lower cost than everyone else? Unless Cheddite are afraid that undercutting the market would lose them the custom of the other cartridge makers for the components? 

Fair point, but why would cheddite worry about the component part of the business. They would take over their business market out right and be better off supplying the customers direct. Win/win for cheddite

Several observstions. My Father and grandfather used to send the boys out to scrounge / collect shotgun cases discarded by the more affluent so that they could reload them.  They shot the cartridges until they went all ragged.  They used to cut card and felt wads and made their own hand reloading tools because money was generally tight. Years ago no one normally bought more than a box or two of cartridges.  No one wasted cartridges shooting at clays!  "You can't eat clays" life was different.  Then we all got more affluent but now we all moan about it.  Wouldn't it be great if the cartridge fairy came down and left a ton of cartridges on the doorstep. Still some would moan about having to shift them or that their shoulders hurt from shooting them. I've gotten back into reloading because I moan about the cost of cartridges. ☺

1 hour ago, TRINITY said:

Fair point, but why would cheddite worry about the component part of the business. They would take over their business market out right and be better off supplying the customers direct. Win/win for cheddite

Why risk losing the supply of cases, wads, shot, primers powder for perhaps 50 million cartridges a year to the manufacturers in exchange for the supply of perhaps 30 million fully assembled cartridges via the RFD network? The diehards would still buy Eley, hull etc even if they changed the source of their components. Maybe the margins are better with components over assembled cartridges?

Don't quote me on the figures by the way, I've no idea how many cartridges are sold by the big four in the UK each year.

Edited by Poor Shot

19 hours ago, Minky said:

Several observstions. My Father and grandfather used to send the boys out to scrounge / collect shotgun cases discarded by the more affluent so that they could reload them.  They shot the cartridges until they went all ragged.  They used to cut card and felt wads and made their own hand reloading tools because money was generally tight. Years ago no one normally bought more than a box or two of cartridges.  No one wasted cartridges shooting at clays!  "You can't eat clays" life was different.  Then we all got more affluent but now we all moan about it.  Wouldn't it be great if the cartridge fairy came down and left a ton of cartridges on the doorstep. Still some would moan about having to shift them or that their shoulders hurt from shooting them. I've gotten back into reloading because I moan about the cost of cartridges. ☺

This. 100%. 

well maybe ammunition is cheaper on the continent but decathalon is and extreme example. they have their fingers in all the pies and can aford to take a loss to swamp the competition.

theyre the biggest sporting goods company in the world. solognac their in house brand dedicated toward shooting apsolutly wiped the floor with everyone when the full range was avalible in the uk. most of my pigeon kit was/is solognac same as my wildfowl kit. the hide poles, decoys  and waiders are the best ive ever had and were cheap with 2 years no fuss warrenty

but the antis got into them and coupled with the fact that people avoided them becasue wernt "BRI-ISH" they pulled most of the line out of uk market.

so now we have to pay the same money for the good british stuff like jack pyke who import in bulk from china and whack a logo and a few quid on and we get a season out of it before its knackered.

so on 1 hand we moan about the price of shooting and shooting related gear on the other we make it an incredibly hostile enviroment for international companys to gain a foot hold and change the rules.

people wishing for a company that would come in and fill the hole in the marked, we had that with decathalon and they covered pretty much every aspect of shooting and they got no support from the shooting community and loads of agro from antis to they went back over the channel.

Edited by Sweet11-87