What TV is the best

ditchman

11 minutes ago, ditchman said:

thanks all for the input into this thread, judging by the number of views and people reading it ...i think there are alot of folk out there...wanting to trade up to a good viewing experience....but like me they dont truly know what to ask for......

i like my tele...always have......i dont live and die by it...some days i dont even watch it...as im too busy doing other things...but when i do watch it i like to be entertained and in style......and i do like a good film of my choice...which i want to make the most of.............i cant afford an internet connection, so i need to go the terrestial route and maybe go freesat later

keep on with the input 

cheers

Just something to add, no freesat/freeview channels currently show anything in 4k. 

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, there will not be a lot of choice with films unless you upgrade from free view, my son put me on his Netflix account, this account allows X amount of people to view, if you know a friend with Netflix they could put you on same as me ??

1. i havnt any freinds
  2. the films im talking about will be on videodiscs..not on tv

30 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, there will not be a lot of choice with films unless you upgrade from free view, my son put me on his Netflix account, this account allows X amount of people to view, if you know a friend with Netflix they could put you on same as me ??

He is not using the Internet so won't be able to view Netflix

25 minutes ago, ditchman said:
  1. i havnt any freinds
  2. the films im talking about will be on videodiscs..not on tv

You will be able to buy secondhand dvd  very cheap , charity  shops , boot sales , people are getting rid of them . The thing we new tvs and them trying to upscale everything  . Everything looks realy good , so old cowboy movies look amazing  . I watched a few over Christmas  . These big cinema classic  look amazing one tvs .

7 minutes ago, johnphilip said:

You will be able to buy secondhand dvd  very cheap , charity  shops , boot sales , people are getting rid of them . The thing we new tvs and them trying to upscale everything  . Everything looks realy good , so old cowboy movies look amazing  . I watched a few over Christmas  . These big cinema classic  look amazing one tvs .

that is what im thinking of doing....and of coarse alot of these old movies have been remastered ...so that should be interesting,,,,,,,,love to watch lawrence of arabia again on a big 65" tv.......

21 minutes ago, ditchman said:

that is what im thinking of doing....and of coarse alot of these old movies have been remastered ...so that should be interesting,,,,,,,,love to watch lawrence of arabia again on a big 65" tv.......

Yes watched Ben Hur a long film over Christmas the quality was amazing  . I like this computer generated stuff it looks amazing " finding Nemo"  Avatar  film was very clever . It's good have got interest in this , have watched very little 4k stuff on my TV due to my slow Internet,  I only get 4 meg a minute  not fast enough , I had one of those box things you spoke of for a while but was limited to how much data a month . Watching an average  4k film could use up maybe 5 to 10 gig  so that would gobble up what you have per month . But apart from that 1080p is still amazing .

26 minutes ago, johnphilip said:

Yes watched Ben Hur a long film over Christmas the quality was amazing  . I like this computer generated stuff it looks amazing " finding Nemo"  Avatar  film was very clever . It's good have got interest in this , have watched very little 4k stuff on my TV due to my slow Internet,  I only get 4 meg a minute  not fast enough , I had one of those box things you spoke of for a while but was limited to how much data a month . Watching an average  4k film could use up maybe 5 to 10 gig  so that would gobble up what you have per month . But apart from that 1080p is still amazing .

looking forward to when the new avatar comes out later this year and the next installment of gaurdians of the galaxy.....im sorry i sound very sad..........but i do like to be taken away from this awful present day with all its problems and be properly entertained...:lol:

14 hours ago, ditchman said:

next question then.........................how often are your TVs breaking down ?

It's not so much of breaking down like a mechanical thing, all the tv's are complex electronic gadgets thus they are all software driven so tv hardware is pretty solid as they don't have moving parts like a printer which is both software and hardware driven BUT they all can go off the rails and need rebooting, an update etc. These little things are often dealt with by the manufacturer online for the customer to follow a set of steps. 

It's not all doom and gloom that's why whichever tv you want is a personal choice but the brand and their customer service is an important part of the jigsaw.

A little test you could perform is to take Sony,Samsung, Hisense, LG etc etc and Currys, John Lewis, Richer sounds, Amazon etc etc etc and try getting hold of their customer service dept, give them all a score out of 10 and within a very short time you will have the answer of which brand and retailer to opt for. The help PW people have given you ( as always ) on the actual technical aspects of tv choice is spot on from what I've read.

43 minutes ago, ditchman said:

looking forward to when the new avatar comes out later this year and the next installment of gaurdians of the galaxy.....im sorry i sound very sad..........but i do like to be taken away from this awful present day with all its problems and be properly entertained...:lol:

Oh agree 100%  that's why I love these Alaska programs people living of the grid or stuff in Australia   opal mining ,gold mining.  Them big trucks, Do the call them road trains . Some of those big railroad trains showing how vast that country  is . And the one in Alaska  a train dropping stuff of to people living of grid . There is an old couple in it the poor old guy old has one hand , but still gets by  . There loads of free stuff on freeview or freesat . And will All look great on that big TV. 

6 hours ago, ditchman said:

Snap . Avatar was amazing , and I'm very much looking forward to the next one 👍.

24 minutes ago, ditchman said:

why are Samsung more expensive than sony.......???when comparing like for like

I think at one time Sony was one of the top sellers , but over the years Samsung has become more popular,  so they can jack there prices up . If they are offering the same things and not a lot of difference  in price , it then becomes a personal choice of what picture you prefer. Must admit I am all Samsung here  tv , phone  Tablet . Its shop online . And see who has the best deal if your going big make sure you have somewere to place it , and someone to help you lift it . They are not heavy just bulky to move . 

1 hour ago, johnphilip said:

I think at one time Sony was one of the top sellers , but over the years Samsung has become more popular,  so they can jack there prices up . If they are offering the same things and not a lot of difference  in price , it then becomes a personal choice of what picture you prefer. Must admit I am all Samsung here  tv , phone  Tablet . Its shop online . And see who has the best deal if your going big make sure you have somewere to place it , and someone to help you lift it . They are not heavy just bulky to move . 

i have got quotes from where i might buy it.......they will deliver ...put the console (table) together connect everything up freesat etc for £46 quid......

2 hours ago, ditchman said:

i have got quotes from where i might buy it.......they will deliver ...put the console (table) together connect everything up freesat etc for £46 quid......

Well thats great , its all peace of mind knowing everything is working  . There is no way you could move a big TV on your own .

They could only set up freesat if you had an old sky dish . Perhaps you ment free view.  

Keep us posted how it goes . You have not been charged for this service 😀😀

35 minutes ago, johnphilip said:

Well thats great , its all peace of mind knowing everything is working  . There is no way you could move a big TV on your own .

They could only set up freesat if you had an old sky dish . Perhaps you ment free view.  

Keep us posted how it goes . You have not been charged for this service 😀😀

yup freeview..not that there is much to do........i will see how things are and then pay for a dish and get onto freesat.....there are several more HD channels and more in the pipeline........and the model of the TV s im looking at they all upscale.......so im looking forward to it....

looked at the viewing distance ratio .....and im tempted to to the shed thing and go for a 75" on a nice walnut consol   should work out ok ....the kitchen table where im staying is the same size 75 x 43....so i can invisage how it will fit..

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

yup freeview..not that there is much to do........i will see how things are and then pay for a dish and get onto freesat.....there are several more HD channels and more in the pipeline........and the model of the TV s im looking at they all upscale.......so im looking forward to it....

looked at the viewing distance ratio .....and im tempted to to the shed thing and go for a 75" on a nice walnut consol   should work out ok ....the kitchen table where im staying is the same size 75 x 43....so i can invisage how it will fit..

Wow that will be amazing . Its a total different  viewing experience.  Your eyes will soon adjust to it .

I remember  years ago when they first came out . Went into a posh shop in Darlington  think this thing was about 30 inch and over 20.000 pounds to buy .

Yer going to get blown away .

5 hours ago, ditchman said:

why are Samsung more expensive than sony.......???when comparing like for like

Maybe as johnphilip suggests or there is a difference in age ( 2020 or 20211 model ) or maybe a technical difference in the  processor or another part that makes no difference to you.

Let us all know when you have it installed and working

13 minutes ago, mgsontour said:

Maybe as johnphilip suggests or there is a difference in age ( 2020 or 20211 model ) or maybe a technical difference in the  processor or another part that makes no difference to you.

Let us all know when you have it installed and working

i will.............

proberly a few more questions yet