Advice re door fixing

Mickeydredd

Hi, my door/window set up has loosened due to closing of the door.  I stuck some sticks like **** in behind the door which worked initially but then the plaster also loosened!

Q1 Is the frame fixed in with any fixings or is it just siliconed on all the way round?

Q2 How do I go about sorting it.

Any advice welcome!

door 1.jpg

door 2.jpg

Drill a 12mm hole around 12mm Deep , then drill a 6mm through drilling the full brick ( not joint or half brick ) red plug , 10gauge 4”  screw . 
I can send you some pellets to cover the screws . Or fix through behind the hinge 👍

it’ll be screwed in 

2AFB22A0-E843-4196-9093-568A0F487F88.jpeg

Edited by team tractor

13 hours ago, team tractor said:

Drill a 12mm hole around 12mm Deep , then drill a 6mm through drilling the full brick ( not joint or half brick ) red plug , 10gauge 4”  screw . 
I can send you some pellets to cover the screws . Or fix through behind the hinge 👍

it’ll be screwed in 

2AFB22A0-E843-4196-9093-568A0F487F88.jpeg

Hi Nathan, knowing you are the man in the "know" so to speak but would you recommend doing the same the window side only (obviously) longer screws but through the frame...DB 

I'd suggest frame fixings rather than plugs and screws, means no movement around the screw.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/easydrive-countersunk-concrete-screws-7-5-x-100mm-100-pack/3839h

If I was doing it I would do hinge side, glazed side, head and cill.acrylic to eliminate any movement.

Many of the fixings can be hidden but others can be plugged afterwords. Make sure you have a very sharp chisel to clean off the plugs.

Edd

5 hours ago, eddoakley said:

I'd suggest frame fixings rather than plugs and screws, means no movement around the screw.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/easydrive-countersunk-concrete-screws-7-5-x-100mm-100-pack/3839h

If I was doing it I would do hinge side, glazed side, head and cill.acrylic to eliminate any movement.

Many of the fixings can be hidden but others can be plugged afterwords. Make sure you have a very sharp chisel to clean off the plugs.

Edd

Head and cill is pointless tho . It just pulls the bricks to the frame /loosens them . 
I know a few that use them concrete screws but I’m still on plugs personally. They do swear by them tbf 

flush cut saw on the plugs is a life changer 😁

Edited by team tractor

4 hours ago, team tractor said:

Any where I could tbf . Always awkward without seeing the job . 

👍

4 hours ago, team tractor said:

Head and cill is pointless tho . It just pulls the bricks to the frame /loosens them . 
I know a few that use them concrete screws but I’m still on plugs personally. They do swear by them tbf 

👍

5 hours ago, team tractor said:

Head will probably be into lintel. Frame fixings into steel or concrete lintels are easy. Through the cill isn't to pull it down but more to just cut down on possible movements. 

With plugs and screws the hole that you need to drill is bigger than the shank of the screw so there's always that bit of movement. With the frame fixings it's a 6.5mm hole with 7.5mm fixing so no "wiggle". Plus never losing plugs if holes as too deep and just one less process not having drive the plug in first. Not cheap to buy compared to screws but worth it IMO and we were using hundreds of boxes a year.

As a joiner I used to cringe seeing site chippys hacking away at plugs with what they thought were sharp chisels while I'd be pairing them off with a 2" chisel that you could shave with.

Sometimes I miss the work....but not often!!

Edd

7 hours ago, eddoakley said:

Head will probably be into lintel. Frame fixings into steel or concrete lintels are easy. Through the cill isn't to pull it down but more to just cut down on possible movements. 

With plugs and screws the hole that you need to drill is bigger than the shank of the screw so there's always that bit of movement. With the frame fixings it's a 6.5mm hole with 7.5mm fixing so no "wiggle". Plus never losing plugs if holes as too deep and just one less process not having drive the plug in first. Not cheap to buy compared to screws but worth it IMO and we were using hundreds of boxes a year.

As a joiner I used to cringe seeing site chippys hacking away at plugs with what they thought were sharp chisels while I'd be pairing them off with a 2" chisel that you could shave with.

Sometimes I miss the work....but not often!!

Edd

My lads are told to sharpen their chisels every single time they use them. On oak pellets tho ,the saw is so easy . 

Hi Nathan

It is actually the window side that is the issue, first came loose at the upright (marked 1) at which point I used some sticks like sh%t which solved the issue for a while but then it just started to take the plaster off with it per photo of inside of door in opening post.  It is now coming loose at point 2 in the pic.

Thanks for all input 👌

door 1.jpg

Edited by Mickeydredd

4 hours ago, Mickeydredd said:

Hi Nathan

It is actually the window side that is the issue, first came loose at the upright (marked 1) at which point I used some sticks like sh%t which solved the issue for a while but then it just started to take the plaster off with it per photo of inside of door in opening post.  It is now coming loose at point 2 in the pic.

Thanks for all input 👌

door 1.jpg

Where are you located 

5 hours ago, Mickeydredd said:

Hi Nathan

Thanks for all input 👌

door 1.jpg

I’m assuming the entire door and windows frame is now out of plumb then? Have you put a level on the vertical or horizontal? 

Hi Ditchman

I certainly thought of that and that’s why I’m trying to figure out how it is fixed in first.  Removal would certainly allow a bit of clarity for fixing it back on properly

On 18/06/2022 at 17:57, team tractor said:

Where are you located 

I’m just outside Doveridge, about 40 mins from Tamworth if you are ever in the area

On 18/06/2022 at 18:22, Scully said:

I’m assuming the entire door and windows frame is now out of plumb then? Have you put a level on the vertical or horizontal? 

Yeah, it is starting to lean out the way a little but still closes and locks.

Edited by Mickeydredd

45 minutes ago, Mickeydredd said:

Hi Ditchman

I certainly thought of that and that’s why I’m trying to figure out how it is fixed in first.  Removal would certainly allow a bit of clarity for fixing it back on properly

I’m just outside Doveridge, about 40 mins from Tamworth if you are ever in the area

Yeah, it is starting to lean out the way a little but still closes and locks.

Shame it’ll cost me £40 in diesel to nip over . If you’d been closer I’d of just done it 👍

• 2 months later...