Door Supplier Recommendations please

discobob

Hi,

After the neighbours got a new front door fitted last week we are starting to feel like povies - not keeping up with the Jones's as we had been talking about getting a new front door for a year or so (uPVC White fitted when by the builder).

I have a mate who can fit for me who is a builder, but has anyone got any recommendations for a supplier of doors - Supply only - not one of these "we will send someone to measure and will have held to ransom for several hours??

Looking at Composite - we are very exposed to the front but Sun is only round that side in the evening

I've got a Rockdoor as my front door and can recommend them. Fitted it myself and was fairly easy.

Quite expensive, but they are made to measure with numerous extras to suit, including low profile cills.

Got mine through Gap Plastics, a nationwide company.

4 minutes ago, JKD said:

I've got a Rockdoor as my front door and can recommend them. Fitted it myself and was fairly easy.

Quite expensive, but they are made to measure with numerous extras to suit, including low profile cills.

Got mine through Gap Plastics, a nationwide company.

Thanks - my mother has Rockdoor - I thought it was installers only??

Edit: image.png.a098e3bc85f0e78e37f1564c48598284.png

Edited by discobob

Cannot see the value in composites.....so expensive for so little.....the amount if homes i see with a £2k front door and poor windows etc it just makes the composite pointless.....ive bought them as im trade and fitted them and fixed them and just dont get it.....lol

Cant remember who the English manufacturer we used to get from as we have a local company that makes them "Apeer" they send loads over your way but im able to buy direct as such.....

15 minutes ago, millrace said:

Cannot see the value in composites.....so expensive for so little.....the amount if homes i see with a £2k front door and poor windows etc it just makes the composite pointless.....ive bought them as im trade and fitted them and fixed them and just dont get it.....lol

Cant remember who the English manufacturer we used to get from as we have a local company that makes them "Apeer" they send loads over your way but im able to buy direct as such.....

And truthfully it’s just profit with zero manufacturers skill .

9 hours ago, millrace said:

Cannot see the value in composites

Hi, Open to suggestions as well- we are totally exposed at the front to Wind, hail, snow etc with the exception of Sun as we are Southish facing. 

I know your not a fan but are Apeer doors OK??

9 hours ago, team tractor said:

And truthfully it’s just profit with zero manufacturers skill .

Again - open to suggestions

We are also looking to hopefully get a bit of improved thermal over the uPVC door currently there

See youve already fallen into the sales pitch.....improved thermal over pvc.....you will not notice any differance through the uvalve of a composite door.....

you have to upgrade your whole house to see a differance....what you will find with any modern properly fitted door is a reduction in drafts and therefore a warmer feeling which you will attribute to your new composite door with a moderately better uvalue.....

Drafts are key with doors.....

When selecting a door check how and where the seals are...ie just the frame or does the door overlap the frame and have a seal on the inside of the overlap 

Type of seals rubber or like a hairy brush strip.... are they replaceable....the brush type flatten over time threshold bttm corners where is the seal meeting basically think where a draught can get in....

Apeer are ok as they are made 30miles from me its what i use but i can honnestly say i dont recommend them to anyone simply because even what i buy them for is way to expensive for what they are......

3 hours ago, millrace said:

See youve already fallen into the sales pitch.....improved thermal over pvc.....you will not notice any differance through the uvalve of a composite door.....

you have to upgrade your whole house to see a differance....what you will find with any modern properly fitted door is a reduction in drafts and therefore a warmer feeling which you will attribute to your new composite door with a moderately better uvalue.....

Drafts are key with doors.....

When selecting a door check how and where the seals are...ie just the frame or does the door overlap the frame and have a seal on the inside of the overlap 

Type of seals rubber or like a hairy brush strip.... are they replaceable....the brush type flatten over time threshold bttm corners where is the seal meeting basically think where a draught can get in....

Apeer are ok as they are made 30miles from me its what i use but i can honnestly say i dont recommend them to anyone simply because even what i buy them for is way to expensive for what they are......

Not so much the Hype - but the neighbours looks nice, and it would be a great step up on a uPVC builders white door where the frame isn't great etc....

Ahh so you want to keep up with neighbour's.  ...lol

Then crack on buy the door you like the look of .....job done....!!

Just to give you some generic uvalue info.....

Standard composite 1.8wmk

Stamdard upvc 1.6wmk

Glazing spec will lower both these figures......

Will you notice any differance.....no but you will from how they are made and fitted so its the age old decision of looks over functionality..... 

12 hours ago, discobob said:

Hi, Open to suggestions as well- we are totally exposed at the front to Wind, hail, snow etc with the exception of Sun as we are Southish facing. 

I know your not a fan but are Apeer doors OK??

Again - open to suggestions

We are also looking to hopefully get a bit of improved thermal over the uPVC door currently there

I’m biased tho as I like wood . An average 56mm door in Sapele now is £2500 +vat if you go with a thermal core 

wooden doors are no longer 44mm but now 56mm if it’s purpose made to enable an up to date glass ( u values ) but if your not into maintenance , maybe composite is the way to go . 
below is just a few customers houses over the years off my phone . Ignore that most aren’t finished painted. Oh and not my brickwork 😂

76075803-9746-40A0-905F-9623BDE2D931.jpeg

C32C8F73-94AF-4B6B-897C-C38F54084D15.jpeg

2432B71E-B1C1-4BF0-B6DA-6231E721E57B.jpeg

Edited by team tractor

11 hours ago, team tractor said:

I’m biased tho as I like wood . An average 56mm door in Sapele now is £2500 +vat if you go with a thermal core 

wooden doors are no longer 44mm but now 56mm if it’s purpose made to enable an up to date glass ( u values ) but if your not into maintenance , maybe composite is the way to go . 
below is just a few customers houses over the years off my phone . Ignore that most aren’t finished painted. Oh and not my brickwork 😂

76075803-9746-40A0-905F-9623BDE2D931.jpeg

C32C8F73-94AF-4B6B-897C-C38F54084D15.jpeg

2432B71E-B1C1-4BF0-B6DA-6231E721E57B.jpeg

How many fingers did you lose making them?? I have seen your exploits recanted on here!!!

When I said South facing I meant the rear garden is south facing - so the front is North facing...

That price is out of my range - thats nearly a slab of cartridges (pigeon load)......

10 hours ago, discobob said:

How many fingers did you lose making them?? I have seen your exploits recanted on here!!!

When I said South facing I meant the rear garden is south facing - so the front is North facing...

That price is out of my range - thats nearly a slab of cartridges (pigeon load)......

Only the finger tips to be fair 😂

On 20/07/2022 at 08:49, discobob said:

Happened to be in howdens yesterday.....they are only here about a year but they are bringing composite doors in "virtuoso" which ive used in past just to give you idea inc vat just under £1k for single door and frame ( would expect this to be slightly less on mainland).. not bad looking door but will give you idea of cost......

Edited by millrace

On 23/07/2022 at 09:07, millrace said:

Happened to be in howdens yesterday.....they are only here about a year but they are bringing composite doors in "virtuoso" which ive used in past just to give you idea inc vat just under £1k for single door and frame ( would expect this to be slightly less on mainland).. not bad looking door but will give you idea of cost......

3 minutes ago, discobob said:

I have to admit it has gone straight over my head....

But it doesn't take much, does it?

Burnley Dave ranted about a poor woman health care worker parking in his space and when it all went pear shaped he got aggressive and kicked his own door in. He was mocked but replied he had spare doors.

Just now, TIGHTCHOKE said:

But it doesn't take much, does it?

Burnley Dave ranted about a poor woman health care worker parking in his space and when it all went pear shaped he got aggressive and kicked his own door in. He was mocked but replied he had spare doors.

Nope - totally missed that - I did wonder if they were on about you buddy😂