ditchman

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, I remember as a small boy the village where gran and grandad lived a lovely small chalk river, the  Lavant ,  wild brownies, lots of wildlife, started life at East Dean from the chalk hills, it was more a winterbourne but now a dried up river bed due to abstraction, 

Thats typical in the Thames Water area, London looses a huge amount of water every day due to leaking pipes, then when there's a few days of heavy rain the sewage stations get over loaded and contaminated water is released into rivers , below Witney is one example and this goes straight into the Thames , our drinking water 🤔🙄

Now Thames Water are looking to build a new reservoir in the Vale, it's huge 🤔 , will take away 100s of acres of farming land where below is a deep clay bed , there's no real water source so it likely piped from the Thames but that's very low after Farmoor takes millions of gallons further up stream, 50 plus feet high banks, at an eye watering cost all to feed London's water leaking pipes, 

When I worked for the British Transport Commission back in the early 70s there were plans to run  water pipes from the north of England down to the south using the existing canal network.

Basically, the pipe would go under the towpath. Similar plans involved running  pipes along the side of existing main line railway tracks.

So they knew back then something needed to be done.

I believe the plan was scrapped by the Wilson Government when they got in to power in 1974

two years later the reservoirs run dry when we had the long hot summer of 76

56 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

He couldn't "engineer" a flying machine if his life depended upon it. He like you is a Driver/Operator and has self loading freight! :cool1:

You're obviously mistaken David.  A man wearing a hat like jaymo in that pic , could most probably engineer a time travelling machine . Then travel back to last Tuesday , and remember to pack that toilet roll in his shooting kit , so that he doesn't have to wipe his bum with barley straw , again 😁.

3 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

You're obviously mistaken David.  A man wearing a hat like jaymo in that pic , could most probably engineer a time travelling machine . Then travel back to last Tuesday , and remember to pack that toilet roll in his shooting kit , so that he doesn't have to wipe his bum with barley straw , again 😁.

Mel, it's your that is mistaken Mate, but thank you for the lack of bog roll story!  :lol:

I will ask him if he ever collects the cartridges I have for him.  :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Mel, it's your that is mistaken Mate, but thank you for the lack of bog roll story!  :lol:

I will ask him if he ever collects the cartridges I have for him.  :rolleyes:

Just make sure he's washed his hands 😁.

1 minute ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Oh I will, on the way in and out and through the metal detector to check his pockets.

Better to be safe than sorry mate . Ive always said that you can never trust a bloke that wears a hat like that 😁.

11 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

I take offence to being used and ridiculed In such ways .

Some of us are working super hard…

what ways then, do you like being ridiculed and abused ?

i take it "the old bath tub plug trick" is off the menu this time