Cardboard Eley Trap cartridges

7 hours ago, holloway said:

Eley still make traditional paper case cartridges.

when we used to shoot early season partridge near Newmarket.....we all had to use paper cased cartridges....the reason being was that alot of the stands were on grass lands that were cut for hay that fed the studs and stables....plastic ammo was a no-no as it could get stuck in the horses gut/tract...but using paper cased ...the moisture softened the case very qickly allowing the cartridge to pass thro the animal.........

One of my rarest full boxes of cartridges, 16g Trapshooting picked up from a Southams sale a few years ago. This box has no packing code and looking at the print on the cartridge, these will have been from the late 70's or early 80's. 

ele.jpg

16 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

This. Beat me to it.

If you know, you know 😉

27 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Yes Eley made a lot of odd stuff that also didn't see the UK market such as three ball (three x .36 pellet) .410 buckshot for shooting those apes that aren't monkeys or gorillas or gibbons but live in packs have big teeth and can be vicious. I forget the name.

Baboons!

Terrible, vicious things. Very satisfying to shoot.

2 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

I'll add two points. These plastic cases are premium quality and the heads are genuine brass. You will possibly find that serious 16 bore reloaders will pull your arms off for them.

Absolutely! Good luck to anyone who would try and get me to part with these though 😉🤣

I have a load of full boxes of 16g Hymax 4's with what appears to be the same case as these and true brass heads, picked up from a Holts sale 12 years ago. 

Also got a load of Maximum 16's in boxes of 10's loaded for a foreign market from the late 60's/early 70's and even a few loose true 65mm case Trainer 9's in 16g also. Not sure if many of these found their way in to the shops back in the UK to be honest as so hard to find. Obviously I don't have any kind of obsession with 16g Eley Cartridges from the years gone by what so ever 🙃