Electric tester recommendation please.

harrycatcat1

I have been tasked to fit a television bracket at my sister in laws but just below where the position is there is a on off switch for the light. I'm looking for a device that will indicate where the wires are in a stud/plasterboard wall please. Preferably from screwfix or toolstation and not overly expensive as its a "one off" job.

Thanks for looking 👍

38 minutes ago, ant1 said:

unscrew the light switch and see where the cable is coming in. i would say from the ceiling down to the switch.

I was thinking that too, that's why I wanted a tester to find out just where so I don't drill into them as the bracket has to go above the switch by about 12".

If only you weren’t so far away 😉

I use a Bosch version which very very accurately detects cabling/live cables along with other metallic objects and you would have been welcome to borrow it had you been nearer. 

Cabling should be run in ‘zones’ vertically and horizontally from face plates, but some sparkles idea of vertical sure is different to mine 😂

Also it’s been known in the past that some cowboys will just run cable in the shortest direction, even if that’s diagonal  😡😡😡

No finder is fool proof, but it’s about mitigation. 

1 hour ago, udderlyoffroad said:

You can usually find the studs by running a magnet along the wall looking for the plasterboard screws.

Good idea 💡 👍

Think I will just get a tester as a back up for about a tenner and see how we go with the help of a magnet.

Thanks to everyone 👍

That’s a chicken stick/voltage detector pen, not meant for finding cables in walls. Won’t help with pipes or finding studs either! 

Its main purpose is to show whether a given cable has power to it. They will generally beep fast if you hold against the line conductor & slower against the neutral.

It *might* work in a wall, but might not. Make sure your light is switched on, as they’re usually better at picking up on a line conductor from a distance.

1 hour ago, udderlyoffroad said:

That’s a chicken stick/voltage detector pen, not meant for finding cables in walls. Won’t help with pipes or finding studs either! 

Its main purpose is to show whether a given cable has power to it. They will generally beep fast if you hold against the line conductor & slower against the neutral.

It *might* work in a wall, but might not. Make sure your light is switched on, as they’re usually better at picking up on a line conductor from a distance.

This is why I was asking for advice about cables in walls but the advice wasn't forthcoming. 

There was quite a bit of advice and you asked about detecting cables. 

What you have purchased isn’t suitable as it will only work when placed upon said cable and not through several mill of plaster etc. 

It does have a pretty light on so they will find your body in the dark when the rcd/ rcbo or whatever is in your CU. 

2 hours ago, Jaymo said:

There was quite a bit of advice and you asked about detecting cables. 

What you have purchased isn’t suitable as it will only work when placed upon said cable and not through several mill of plaster etc. 

It does have a pretty light on so they will find your body in the dark when the rcd/ rcbo or whatever is in your CU. 

With respect, yes I did ask how to detect cables in a stud wall and as I don't have a clue that's why I asked. Where in this thread advises me which one to buy?

Edited to say, what's with the sarcasm about finding my body?

No wonder folks don't want to ask for advice.

Edited by harrycatcat1

Wasn’t intended to be sarcastic but merely making a reference to the ‘death stick’ that you have purchased. 
Even for the task it’s sold for they have the potential to give some false readings- a proving unit with tester is really the only way. 

But looking back, advice has been given as to cable runs but not a decent unit, so here is what we use in conjunction with caution of course. 
It’s all about mitigation. Use a unit such as this to detect ( nothing is 100%) and then isolate that circuit when you do decide to drill. 
Worst case is when you power that circuit back up is that it trips due to an errant screw which is when you call the spark to drop a replacement leg in. 

https://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-truvo-digital-detector/8426t

If you wish to cover postage both ways then your welcome to use ours.

Forgot to say. If def a stud wall, you can remove the faceplate to see the depth/placement/run of cable too which may help 

Edited by Jaymo

One of the reasons I didn't offer much of an opinion about actually cable detectors, is the ones I've used are a bit hit-and-miss, and require a couple of run ups.  My £10 Lidl job appears to work ok - though this isn't much use to you as Lidl rotate their offers and a this isn't currently available.  I've never used an expensive professional grade one, but I'm given to understand that even these must be operated with caution.

As said though, if you're going into an actual* stud wall, as long as you locate the studs (whether by use of a magnet or a detector) and screw into those, whilst staying out of the prescribed zones (so as not to hit a cable running perpendicular to the studs), the chances of you hitting an actual cable are vanishingly small, but not zero.

By the way, the device you've bought does have some value, I use mine a lot, but it's a fault-finding tool, not a means for finding cables in walls.  "Death stick" is a little harsh, but can be literally true if you were to use it as not intended, i.e. to confirm if a particular circuit is dead before working on it.  There, as Jaymo says, following procedure using a tester and a proving unit is the only safe way.  The instructions that came with yours will doubtless say the same.

*Do make sure it's not dot-n-dab or some other though!

On 24/08/2022 at 09:18, johnphilip said:

Do you have any friends who metal detect as a hobby , we use a thing  called a " pin pointer"  it's to zoom in on a metal find . That would do the job for you . 

Hello, I've used mine finding underfloor pipes, 👍 , there's a new detecting programme on tomorrow night John