Energy Rebate

bishop

Sky news this morning " go phone your council ,and ensure your energy rebate is in hand and refunded to you, Each council apparently decides "how" this money (given to them by the scottish government) is paid out to its people. Great news---- i have received mine---but wait--its NOT as a cash payment to go against the rising costs of energy. Fife council decided to credit it on my council tax account --so they can ensure they keep every penny given to them by scottish government in house in their accounts. What a shower of ****. Anyone expecting to have that payment to use for fuel is denied that choice.

2 minutes ago, bishop said:
Sky news this morning " go phone your council ,and ensure your energy rebate is in hand and refunded to you, Each council apparently decides "how" this money (given to them by the scottish government) is paid out to its people. Great news---- i have received mine---but wait--its NOT as a cash payment to go against the rising costs of energy. Fife council decided to credit it on my council tax account --so they can ensure they keep every penny given to them by scottish government in house in their accounts. What a shower of ****. Anyone expecting to have that payment to use for fuel is denied that choice.

Can you believe that? Unreal. 

Just now, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Calm down, it was always going to be done without you receiving it as cash.

If you pay by direct debit it will be credited against your Council Tax.

I thought we were getting it added to our energy acc spread over 6 months?

1 minute ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Calm down, it was always going to be done without you receiving it as cash.

If you pay by direct debit it will be credited against your Council Tax.

People have had the choice of where they need that cash placed taken away. Many will have limited financial abilities to  use energy in their home and could use the cash to do exactly that. The way it has been done ensures people are all in line  like good little soldiers paying their council tax regardless of whether they can afford  heat their homes or cook food.You have to be a right little stooge puppet to think thats the right thing to do

1 minute ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Okay, so the name calling starts!

Is it any wonder that choice is taken away?

Give many of these people cash and it will NOT go any were near heating, food or Council Tax!

Sorry  but who are "these people"  exactly?? Ahhh i see you are pushing a personal theory that in some way "these people"  are "less" than yourself. A legend in your own mind  you must be.i work for a living lad as does my wife and i expect better from my elected officials.

5 minutes ago, bishop said:

Sorry  but who are "these people"  exactly?? Ahhh i see you are pushing a personal theory that in some way "these people"  are "less" than yourself. A legend in your own mind  you must be.i work for a living lad as does my wife and i expect better from my elected officials.

And the name calling continues, I work for a living, have worked for a living since the 1980's.

You have an agenda and nobody will get in your way.

Good luck, I hope you get some relief by venting your angst.

1 hour ago, bishop said:

Well I would suggest as £150 has just been paid off your council tax bill you take the £150 that you would have paid and use it for energy. 

So in reflection you are £150 better off and the council have gained nothing. 

40 minutes ago, toontastic said:

Well I would suggest as £150 has just been paid off your council tax bill you take the £150 that you would have paid and use it for energy. 

So in reflection you are £150 better off and the council have gained nothing. 

This was not put thru governmental approvals  as legitimate revenue to be gathered by your council to do with as they please, although this is exactly what has happened .. It is money given to them by government to ease the fuel poverty issue. The money was earmarked as the first of several payments to offset rising energy bills. Being up to date with council tax is not i believe as vital as being able to cook or hear your home.£150 in your bank account or in the form of a post office collected cash payment affords choice. The way it  has been done removed choice and significantly bolstered the councils immediately available funds so they DID gain quite a lot( at least 15 million if i an correct) .It was meant to bolster the peoples immediately available funds. It was defined as an initial EMERGENCY payment .Over 100 000  people in Fife pay council tax by DD. Thats over 100 000 payments of £150  to each person ,now  in councils coffers to spend as they see fit. They now have the choice of what to do with it not the people of the area. The only offset they feel is a slight reduction in returning income via the slightly reduced council tax monthly DD's from the people of Fife .. 15 million??.  Thats one hellova  juicy "loan" courtest of jo public.Ill check that figure to see if its accurate when i get a call back from my local MP's office.I'd be interested in finding out if god ol' SNP sanctioned the councils decisions here.  They are trickle charging back the £150 by reducing your council tax bill by a few pounds each month .That does nothing to tackle fuel poverty for many families i feel.

Edited by bishop

This was not put thru governmental approvals  as legitimate revenue to be gathered by your council to do with as they please, although this is exactly what has happened .. It is money given to them by government to ease the fuel poverty issue. The money was earmarked as the first of several payments to offset rising energy bills. Being up to date with council tax is not i believe as vital as being able to cook or hear your home.£150 in your bank account or in the form of a post office collected cash payment affords choice. The way it  has been done removed choice and significantly bolstered the councils immediately available funds so they DID gain quite a lot( at least 15 million if i an correct) .It was meant to bolster the peoples immediately available funds. It was defined as an initial EMERGENCY payment .Over 100 000  people in Fife pay council tax by DD. Thats over 100 000 payments of £150  to each person ,now  in that councils coffers to spend as they see fit. They now have the choice of what to do with it not the people of the area. The only offset they feel is a slight reduction in returning income via reduced council tax monthly DD. 15 million??. Ill check that figure to see if its accurate when i get a call back from my local MP's office.I'd be interested in finding out if god ol' SNP sanctioned the councils decisions here.

I have £150 in my bank, I pay my council tax of £150 by DD and now I have nothing. But the council rebate me £150 back into my bank and I have £150 again. 

You have £150 in your bank, you don't have to pay your council tax as the government have paid £150 and you still have £150 in your bank. 

6 minutes ago, toontastic said:

I have £150 in my bank, I pay my council tax of £150 by DD and now I have nothing. But the council rebate me £150 back into my bank and I have £150 again. 

You have £150 in your bank, you don't have to pay your council tax as the government have paid £150 and you still have £150 in your bank. 

No  They are keeping the payment.They are then reducing my monthly council tax  DD by a few pounds over the year. I am paying slightly less each month  on my DD on council tax over the 2022-2023  tax year. They are not refunding to my bank m8--thats the whole point of this post  here ! Im getting the £150 back not as one payment but as a slight monthly rediction on my council tax bill--so i can happily use that  tenner a month saved as i please.

Edited by bishop

No  They are keeping the payment.They are then reducing your monthly council tax  DD by a few pounds over the year. I am paying slightly less each month  on my DD on council tax over the 2022-2023  tax year. They are not refunding to my bank m8--thats the whole point of this post  here !

Oh I see, down here DD payers got a bank refund and others got £150 off the bill so they didn't have to make a payment that month. I thought that's what you were going on about. Giving a small rebate each month does seem unfair. 

7 minutes ago, toontastic said:

Oh I see, down here DD payers got a bank refund and others got £150 off the bill so they didn't have to make a payment that month. I thought that's what you were going on about. Giving a small rebate each month does seem unfair. 

Exactly, they scoop 15 million from government meant for the people. they then  reduce the peoples monthly DD by a tenner each so the council  loses a million each month in council  tax revenue for the year. But they have 15 million to cover that  small rebate. good plan though, lose a million coming in each month for a year but keep 15 million as a one off "loan"--lovely  penalty free loan that is at tax payers expense.

Edited by bishop

Bishop, it's worse than that, as well as councils keeping any interest earned, someone who was going to use that money for bulk ordering coal, logs, oil or lpg, is unable to use it to contribute to the order as they have to pay up front or on delivery.

Edited by Stonepark

4 hours ago, bishop said:

Whilst I completely agree with you , that it's a despicable trick , cooked up between government and local authority,  and it will do very little , to help the people that are most in need of that help.   Dave is also bang on the money . A lot of the people that receive the handout , would see it as a free cash bonus , to spend  in wetherspoons, and wouldn't dream of spending it on gas/electricity. 

17 hours ago, mel b3 said:

Whilst I completely agree with you , that it's a despicable trick , cooked up between government and local authority,  and it will do very little , to help the people that are most in need of that help.   Dave is also bang on the money . A lot of the people that receive the handout , would see it as a free cash bonus , to spend  in wetherspoons, and wouldn't dream of spending it on gas/electricity. 

Why heat your home when the pub is so warm? Then when you go home peed out of your head you will not feel the chill.😁